PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Gary Lam's DVD

Ernie
06-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Gary asked me to put this out there in case anyone is interested
you can find the information on his web site http://www.garylamwingchun.com/
or email if you have any questions
it has the same footage as the previously released vcd but people requested it on dvd for a more universal format .
I can email a small clip if anyone wants to check it out .
thank you Ernie.

PaulH
06-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Rarely do I see such explosive power and impressive WC skills demonstrated by Gary Lam Sifu. You may hate yourselves if you miss this opportunity to know further of the elusive power and skills that WC offer. It really worths every nickle and dime. Also, the po pai drills that WSL taught to his early batch of students deserve further investigations on your WC study path. So many rich ideas and concepts thay you may gain from this valuable item!

Regards,

reneritchie
06-12-2003, 10:27 AM
I was fortunate enough to meet Lam sifu a couple times while in LA, and to watch one of his classes at his home. He was a real breath of fresh air, very simple, very practical, very hands on.

I haven't seen any of his videos, but if they're anything like his class, they're well recommended.

Ernie
06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
rene
thank you for the kind words , i recently met up with andrew and he said you might be coming to town so hopefully i'll run into you . if you are interested in seeing some of the footage there is a 12min. clip on my server that you are welcome to just let me know and i will set up a account for you
ernie

reneritchie
06-12-2003, 10:47 AM
I probably will be but only for a couple days and I'll likely be sequestered in Disneyland with my very demanding 5 year old brother, so I don't think I'll make it out to LA proper.

I very much enjoyed spending time with Lam sifu, not just WCK, but eating, shopping, and hearing him talk about his face/palm reading and Fengshui practice. He's every bit the gentleman in the real world he is the devastating fighter in WCK. Like the old saying goes, a master of many excellences.

KingMonkey
06-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Po Pai drills ??
Can anyone explain what these are ?

PaulH
06-12-2003, 12:01 PM
KM,

Po Pai or Po Pi is the double palm strike. Ernie is much better at this, so I leave it for him to explain its usage later. It's very close range attack remarkably suitable to attack in the clinch stage.

Regards,

reneritchie
06-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Some call them Wu Dip Jeung, or Butterfly Palms, part of the Yin/Yang palm changing of WCK.

Ernie
06-12-2003, 03:14 PM
king monkey
Po Pai drills ??
this would take a long time to discribe in any detail but i'll try
there are 8 po pai variations on the dummy if you do both left and right side and 2 more concepts '' hand and body actions '' that fall into the po pai power generation family
there are rooted in hands such as bong sau,gansau,lop sau,paksau ,quan sau , jut sau , bui sau and so on .
most schools from what i've been told don't get into the po pai to deeply as there main focus is to hit , and at first appearnce po pai is not hitting so why bother .
and only after many years under wong did gary get exposed to the actual drills forms concepts and power generation that po pai helps to develop.
lets just look at it as the powwer to project /push some one
to get them to travel a great distance when just move a little '' short explosive ground power ''
to develop this you need to be able to get close to the body
which means you have to be sensitive to distance and timing .
you have to be able to swim through a guys punches cut his angle ,catch his center and blast him off .
needless to say not a easy thing to do . but it's about skill development
if i can get inside a persons puch range this cuts off there power source as most only have power at the end of there action.
if i can strucuraly capture his center and break his position i in turn learn my proper position under pressure and if i can be that close almost body to body and still generate enough power to send him flying
then my balance position ,timing ,focus,sensitivity and distance must all be spot on.
taking these skills and plugging them back into hitting some one makes it very easy to cut angles get position and explode with devestanting punching power
that's a real rough summary hope it helps more than confuse.
email me on the side if you want a deeper break down there are a lot of concepts that play into pulling this stuff off , but mainly a way to develop skill that you normally can't when both parties are to busy socking each other .