PDA

View Full Version : Yip Man Article

FIRE HAWK
06-12-2003, 07:06 PM
http://www.springtimesong.com/wcyipman.htm
http://www.springtimesong.com/wcyipman2.htm
It also says there is a difference between these Wing Chun styles
Springtime Song and Forever Springtime

Many people think that there is no difference between Wing Chun (Singing Spring in Chinese) and Yong Chun ( Spring Forever in Chinese) and think they both come from the same family. In fact, they are different. In Hong Kong, the patriarch of Wing Chun is Master Yip Man, while that of Yong Chun is Master Songming Zhu. Regarding the forms of them, there are Little Idea form, Searching for the Bridge form, Poking & Thrusting Fingers form, Wood Man form, Six & Half Point Pole form in Wing Chun; while in Yong Chun, there are Wood Man form, One to Eight Fighting form, Chain Punching form and Six & Half Pole form.

The reason why people are confused with these two different schools is that there are similarities in them: Both use edge-in hands, wrist force. So-called edge-in hands is that the hands are used like a sickle cutter cutting in towards the inner side with bottom force and very few moving cycles, very high density is achieved. They loop very fast and no breaks.

reneritchie
06-12-2003, 07:24 PM
I think this is a translation from an old Chinese book from HK.

WCis4me
06-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi FireHawk,
Thanks for the interesting links. The school is in my hometown. YAY Vancouver!!!
Lots of cool information, even dummy plans. The article talked about a lot of events in significant depth. It was very interesting. A little confusing as I have never seen the names written like that of early students and even Leung Bik, but it gives you enough so that you can figure it out.

Regards,
Vicky

Phil Redmond
06-12-2003, 09:05 PM
I only speak Cantonese so the Mandarin Romanizations are confusing to me. I got the names of Wong Shun Leung, Ng Chung So, and William Cheung from the article and that's about it. Do you know the Cantonese names for the other people in the article? I can only guess some of them. I hope you can shed some light.
P Redmond

John Weiland
06-13-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
I only speak Cantonese so the Mandarin Romanizations are confusing to me. I got the names of Wong Shun Leung, Ng Chung So, and William Cheung from the article and that's about it. Do you know the Cantonese names for the other people in the article? I can only guess some of them. I hope you can shed some light.
P Redmond
I don’t know what Romanization system the article is using, but it isn’t Pinyin or Yale as it has no accent marks. So, it might be Jyutpin (http://www.chinalanguage.com/CCDICT/Support/jyutpin.php), which doesn’t use ‘em.

Here are some of the key names I’ve been able to decipher:

Fuo Shang = Fatshan province

Master Zan = Leung Jan

Hua Shun Chen = Chan Wah Shun (Money Changer)

Bi Liang = Leung Bik

Er Xu = ?

Xiang Liang = Leung Sheung

Yao Luo = Lok Yiu

Under heading Wong Shun Leung (Chungliang Huang) Meets Yip Man

Shangtian Xu = Chu Shong Tin

Zhuoqing Zhang = William Cheung

It's kind of fun to guess, but I give up for now. :D

Regards,

Phil Redmond
06-13-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks John,
I think I saw a Rom. for Ng Chung So also. I still can't figure out who Er Xu is.

reneritchie
06-13-2003, 07:43 AM
John got most of them. I don't think they're using any recognizable romanization scheme, just writing them out in pseudo-pin yin with some mish mash.

Songming Zhu = Chu Chong-Man.

Zhong Shu Wu (Ng Chung So), Liao Cha Yuan (Lo Jia Yuen, aka 5th Yuen, aka Yuen Kay-San (they're saying he was a student of Chan Wah-Shun instead of Fok Bo-Chuen), Suan Deng (Tang Suen, they're saying he was a student of Chan instead of Fung Siu-Ching).

The Zhou's are the Chow's Yip Man's first Foshan students. Er Xu should be Lee Man, no idea if they're butchering a nickname or referring to someone else.

Buching Yep is Yip Bo Ching.

yuanfen
06-13-2003, 10:09 AM
The article mentions the "second generation" and those that began teaching from that group.:

Those of the next generation are Zuo Huang, Rong Lee, Zuoqing Zhang in Thailand, Jingming He in Macau. They all have their own houses to teach Kung Fu.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the Cantonese equivalencies of the above names?

yylee
06-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
The article mentions the "second generation" and those that began teaching from that group.:

Those of the next generation are Zuo Huang, Rong Lee, Zuoqing Zhang in Thailand, Jingming He in Macau. They all have their own houses to teach Kung Fu.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the Cantonese equivalencies of the above names?

Hi Joy

sounds like:

Zuo Huang is some one with a last name Wong.
ZuoQing Zhang is Cheung Chuk Hing (W Cheung).
JingMing He is your Sigung Ho Kam Ming :)

I am not used to seeing Chinese last names written after their Chinese first names.

dfl
06-13-2003, 11:45 AM
This article was originally published in New Martial Hero in 1971. The author was Hui Hoi Yu, who wrote under the pen name of Nim Fat Shan Yan. He wrote the bio and history of many styles and masters. Some of the WC related articles (including this one) were compiled into a book with the pretentious title of "Wing Chun Chi Sau" which you can still get in most Chinese bookstores.
"Er Xu" == Hui Yi, who was given as the chairman of the Restaurant Workers Union
Zuo Wang == Wong Jok, who taught Robert Young in Hawaii, I think
This translation tries to use pinyin and "westernizes" all the Chinese names, with the exception of this one:

Wen Yeh

;-)

WCis4me
06-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Hi Joy,

I think Zuo Huang could be Wong long Ching or Wong Chok (also spelled Wong Tsok or Wong Chock)
Here is the site of one of his students Robert Yeung who after Wong Chok's death went on to learn from Wong Long Ching.
Rong Lee (might be wong lee? and in turn be one of them as well)
http://www.wing-chun.com/elders5.html

Just guessing.

WCis4me
06-13-2003, 11:55 AM
oops, looks like dfl got it up before me.
Thanks for the confirmation dfl.

Vicky

yuanfen
06-13-2003, 12:06 PM
yylee sez
JingMing He is your Sigung Ho Kam Ming
----------------------------------
Thanks much- I thought so but was not sure with the spelling and the order of the names.

Vicky- thanks too.

PS> It was good to see Ray back in action with his redone web page... a very decent wing chun person- who has written a lot.

NTC possibly is back in Asia by now. Hope he posts again.

joy

WCis4me
06-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Hi Joy,

Thanks and you're welcome.

Yes it is a good website with a lot of really interesting stuff.

I hope NTC posts again too. We had some dialogue offlist and he is a WEALTH of really great and interesting information, insight and experience. Not to mention how cool he was onlist as well.

Regards,
Vicky