PDA

View Full Version : Rene's tendons

black and blue
06-13-2003, 05:34 AM
Rene's Grand Unification thread has a link to a previous thread and a cut-and-paste to an article where someone talks about Tendon Changing for internal development in SNT.

(Sorry, that's probably the most convoluted opening to a thread... ever :) )

Can anyone explain what Tendon Changing is, where it is found in SNT (Huen Sau maybe?), what's its purpose is, and how it develops internal power (if that is what was meant by 'internal')?

Many thanks to those who know and post.

Jim Roselando
06-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Hello,

It was also part of the foundation training in Leung Jan's teaching in Koo Lo. The tendon changing is what he referred to as the Noi Gung development. It is found in most of the art and not only the SLT set but the SLT has "a lot" of focus on it. Depending of course how your perform your SLT set. Some may focus on certain aspects and some may not focus on certain aspects.

IMO you cannot develop this unless you make use of Cher Lik energy. If you are only working on noodle or excessive soft without the Cher Lik you will never get it. The purpose of course would be to develop Wing Chung Ging/tendon strength. Its almost like isometric power as you look normal outside but inside you are abnormally strong but still relaxed. When you meet someone who has this sort of internal power you will feel the difference as what people sometimes refer to as Tit Kiu "Iron Bridge" will now make sense but of course there is more to it than just that. It has to be felt to be appreciated!

Regards,

black and blue
06-13-2003, 07:18 AM
I'm familiar with the terms Gung Lik and Sung Lik... but not Cher Lik.

Can you give an explanation?

Also, if you're free to elaborate, can you give a few more details regarding the foundation training in Leung Jan's teaching in Koo Lo?

Many thanks,

Duncan

reneritchie
06-13-2003, 07:28 AM
WCK does not do Yik Gan Ging (Yi Jin Jing) or the Tendon Change Classic of Shaolin, but the branch I study does focus very much on Yik Gan (Yi Jin), or tendon changing in general, only through different means (closer to what I've seen in Bagua).

*Every movement* not just huen sao, the way I learned, is Yik Gang, and has a very specific motion path to cultivate that and the spiral twisting Ging that goes with it. (Note, I haven't seen this in most other branches, perhaps only Gulao/Koolo), though they may just not "show" it as much.

reneritchie
06-13-2003, 07:30 AM
Jim,

Is Cher Lik a Koolo term? SNWCK would use another term, but it's very close to the spiral turning power I've experienced in some Bagua.

Jim Roselando
06-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Hey Duncan!

How are you?

Ok!

I'm familiar with the terms Gung Lik and Sung Lik... but not Cher Lik.

Can you give an explanation?

Its twisting power or sprial power. The way the hands/body rotate and coil when moving.

Also, if you're free to elaborate, can you give a few more details regarding the foundation training in Leung Jan's teaching in Koo Lo?

Sure! The preliminary training for the art is to begin to develop the proper WC attributes of the body. Starting with the wrist then the elbow and then the upper body (shoulders). It works in a progressive fashion up the arm and after ample time is spent one then begins the system proper of the aspects Leung Jan kept for the root which was the movements he kept from his orignal Siu Lin Tao that we call Siu Lin Tau/Dai Lin Tau! Part of Dai Lin Tau is the Som Bai Fut and Sae Mun Bai Jee.

See ya,

KPM
06-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Is "cher lik" the same thing as what Randy Williams names and describes as "whirlpool energy"?

Keith

black and blue
06-13-2003, 07:51 AM
I'm well thanks - just finished nursing my five stitches to the eyebrow following a 'bump' in Chi Sau. Scar barely shows... phew!

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

In the Koo Lo Mpeg posted on this forum a few months back, there is a motion when a palm strike is curled from the fingers into what looks to me like a Phoenix Eye Fist... would this be connected to Cher Lik?

I guess so.

Rene, is it fair to say this spiralling, turning you speak of from your branch isn't used in YM WCK, or that it was a part of the system but is no longer emphasised?

Jim Roselando
06-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Hello guys,

Rene,

Is Cher Lik a Koolo term? SNWCK would use another term, but it's very close to the spiral turning power I've experienced in some Bagua.

It is not our term. My sifu mainly calls it twisting so I just used the more common name I have heard for this type of spiral power. Ba Gwa would indeed be the closest to how we twist/coil.

(Note, I haven't seen this in most other branches, perhaps only Gulao/Koolo), though they may just not "show" it as much.

Not shown is perhaps the best way to say it! Its something that we do not show in public but its taught in private. Yet, it would make much sense if both FBC/YKS and LJ/WWS both did it then one may "assume" it was something that was part of what Wong Wah Bo taught.

Kieth,

Is "cher lik" the same thing as what Randy Williams names and describes as "whirlpool energy"?

No. I believe what Randy called Whirlpool would be more similar to just whipping. The twisting training begins in the openning of Sup Jee Sao & Jut Choi set you learned!

Duncan,

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

Glad you like it. It is really good stuff. I had no clue about it until I was accepted as disciple by my sifu. Now, I believe it is of the utmost importance and could not see doing WC without it.

In the Koo Lo Mpeg posted on this forum a few months back, there is a motion when a palm strike is curled from the fingers into what looks to me like a Phoenix Eye Fist... would this be connected to Cher Lik?

No, BUT, that would indeed be a form of tendon changing from the SLT set if performed properly.

See ya,

reneritchie
06-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Duncan,

Some others may do it but not show it, most I've spoken to don't do it (except perhaps by accident during some movements) and don't know what it is.

I don't know if its missing, many seem to do **** well with out it, so it could just be something some focus on and not others.

reneritchie
06-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Jim,

Will catch up with you offlist!

Jim Roselando
06-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey Rene,

I don't know if its missing, many seem to do **** well with out it, so it could just be something some focus on and not others.

Absolutely! I have seen some that can kick butt with just a few moves and some that know a boat load that cant do didly. I do think it is a good bonus for anyones WCK tho!

Will catch up with you offlist!

Okeydokey!

See ya,