PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee physique vs. internalist physique

Octavius
06-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Which type of body do you think is more important and would you like to have - a Bruce Lee type of sculpted physique, or a Hung-I Hsiang type of body? In case you don't know, Hsiang was a Hsing-I/BaGua mster from Taiwan who was some 250lbs+ on a 5'8" frame - big fellow around the waist. Yet he was known as a fight breaker in Taiwan - such a potent fighter people asked him to break up fights. Bother men were powerful, but they had diametrically opposed body types. Since we only have so many hours in the day, which would you prefer to choose and why?

MasterKiller
06-13-2003, 07:25 AM
You don't get to choose your body type...it chooses you.

Better to learn to use what you have in the best way possible.

Kristoffer
06-13-2003, 07:28 AM
I don't think it is possible for me to develop a Hung-I Hsiang body type. The Bruce type is more accurate.. I like it that way too

chen zhen
06-13-2003, 08:42 AM
you have the physique your genes will tell you to have/develop, OR, the physique you choose to have, through training or eating lotsa fastfood.;)

But it's a weird question, who in the world would prefer a fat body opposed to a BL-like body?(except for starving people in africa and other places, of course..:( )

Octavius, are you sure it's Hung-I Shiang you're talking about? could it be Wang Shu-Chin? cos he was BIIG!:D

Stacey
06-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Ba gua skill, bruce lee body.....then again, how 'bout that longevity?

red5angel
06-13-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't think your body type is relative to what they call "internal". In theory, anyone with the time and the discipline can learn to do internal arts and it doesn't matter how big you are. It's about structure and rooting, not about muscle so it shouldn't matter. There is a school of thought that belives the muscle gets in the way but I believe that is more a hold over from the beliefs on how qi works and muscle stagnating that chi flow. Since I don't really buy into the whole qi thing I do believe that it is not a matter of your body type but your dedication. It takes years of precise practice to get really good "internal" skill.

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 12:05 PM
I´m afraid my imperfect eye won´t see trough one´s internal physique.

Octavius
06-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Red5, I like your reply. I guess maybe my question was not well worded. What I'm trying to ask is that from what I have read, extreme focus on muscles and "external" development will impede your progress in developing "internal" power. I have been told that external and internal training are related but different. SO, since we can only train so many hours per day, if we spend time training our physique, then we may not have time to develop our "chi". On the other hand, if we spend time to develop our internal strenght, then we may not have the time to get Bruce's body. I don't know - mebbe I'm wrong on both accounts. If you have different experiences, i'd appreciate your thoughts.

Black Jack
06-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Don't fall for that garbage. Work out and hit the weights. It has real world science behind it and solid backing.

I would take bruce lee's build anyday.

red5angel
06-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, I dont think it really matters in the end. You are right,if you are weight training that is time you could spend doing kungfu. however I thnk that good "internal" art is just good kungfu in general.

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Nice shot Black Jack.

In a thread like this,I feel my old joints hurting...I´m suspecting that a feces storm may be arriving,wear your raincoats just in case.

ewallace
06-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Weight training makes you slow. No self-respecting, serious martial artist trains with weights.

Black Jack
06-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Yea,

Why get healthy. Healthy is overrated. Only *****foots are healthy.

Science.....science is for *****foots too....lets just all do standing post mediations for three years.....and drink bizzare internal tonics that are made out of bug scrotum to condition our skin.

chen zhen
06-13-2003, 12:59 PM
I think BL would get more honneys on the beach than a fat-bellied TC master.

knowwaddamean;)

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Sure.
But BL has no qi.

chen zhen
06-13-2003, 01:23 PM
if you don't have qi, then you're dead

:cool:

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 01:33 PM
I´m not sure if I have any,but I´ve been feeling a bit tired lately though.

Hmmm.
Perhaps I´ll ask them about my qi levels the next time I´ll get a blood test.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-13-2003, 02:59 PM
im fairly certain ewallace was jokin black jack.

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 03:02 PM
I do bet he was.

Kristoffer
06-13-2003, 03:07 PM
:rolleyes:

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 03:13 PM
You forgot to write!

chen zhen
06-13-2003, 03:19 PM
It was the wordless transmission of the C'han doctrine

:p

Former castleva
06-13-2003, 03:23 PM
No,I´m afraid it was not...

Christopher M
06-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Can you do hard hand conditioning and learn piano?

a) No. Learning piano is dependant upon an unobservable energy known as Melodia which is drained via the Mixolydian portals when you strike things with your hands.

b) Yes. That Melodia stuff is such a load of crap. It just doesn't exist; get over it. There's nothing stopping you from doing both.

c) Yes, so long as you do both according to the common sense rules of moderation and self-observation. Hard hand conditioning, especially with certain methods, can make your fingers stiff, sore, and unresponsive for a while, which will impair your ability to learn piano. If you pay attention to what methods do this and avoid them, and also train in moderation, and also manage your time properly, there's nothing stopping you from doing both.

Oh, oops. Must have misread the thread, I replied to a totally different topic! :eek:

ewallace
06-14-2003, 02:24 PM
In the H&F forum I was telling you about a bench & rack I saw for $200 at academy. I ended up buying it and its working out excellent. Not the best but at $200 its hard to beat. The bench has wheels and it's separate from the rack. It comes with a leg extension which I don't use, and it also comes with a preacher curl attachment.

Follow the link and look at 108 - Universal Fitness Deluxe Versa Bench

http://www.outsmarted.com/shopping/personal_care/exercise_and_fitness/equipment/strength_training_machines/index4.htm

Black Jack
06-16-2003, 10:47 AM
I know ewallace was joking, I was joining in with the joke, jeez guys I am not that stone faced.

PHILBERT
06-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Former castleva
Sure.
But BL has no qi.

Or a second testicle.

I'd take Bruce's body any day, it'd get more women on the beach, that much is for sure.