PDA

View Full Version : Wudang backwards running

jun_erh
06-13-2003, 12:07 PM
crew films backward wudang monks (http://retrorunningworld.free.fr/china2002.htm)

Here is the script of the film:

All of us are taught to run forwards as fast as we can...
But running forwards is really only half the story...

For thousands of years, the Wudang monks of China have walked backwards on their journey towards spiritual enlightenment. It was the people of China that inspired us in France, where athletes use the balance of backwards running for modern training; increasing muscular strength, aerobic fitness and stamina. To run backwards lets us use the wisdom of ancient China to unite and minds and bodies - both for sport, and for life.

Judge Pen
06-13-2003, 12:12 PM
And it comes in handy in football so you can keep your eyes on the quaterback while covering the wide receiver. :)

Seriously it is difficult to do and it works a whole new group of muscles than regular running. I never considered any spirtual ramnifications of it; nor did I consider any martial applications other than just general fitness and conditioning.

Stacey
06-13-2003, 09:47 PM
not to mention the chance of falling in a ditch.

omarthefish
06-14-2003, 04:02 PM
When I was in China I jad to ask one of my co-workers what's the deal with all the old folks going for backwards walks in the parks in the mornings. She said it's good for your back.

iron thread
06-18-2003, 09:41 PM
running/walking forward is good for your back too.

Laughing Cow
06-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Walking/Running backwards is a great exercise.

I like the backward stepping/walking we do in our forms more than the forward ones.