PDA

View Full Version : Drills

Void Boxing
06-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Ive been practicing classical drills for quite a while now, and ive come to the conclusion that classical stuff doesnt work all that well. It takes too long, it is too fancy, i realise that a drill needs to be something simple, direct, non classical. Could someone please elaborate on this for me:

What is a drill? What is its purpose? What kinds of drills are effective for training combat skills and why they are?.....

Thank you.:confused:

yenhoi
06-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Example:

Drill: Jumping rope for various amounts of time in various different manners with various intensity levels. Purpose: Makes footwork faster, trains the atributes of mobility, speed, fitness, and endurance, depending on how you work the drill - Jumping rope.

What do you mean by classical drills?

:eek:

Marky
06-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi Void Boxing,

I have the same question as Yenhoi. Could you give some examples of the "classical drills" you've been practicing?

HuangKaiVun
06-17-2003, 12:28 PM
I use drills all the time in my school to train traditional techniques.

As much as I can, I feature "live" drills in which an opponent is resisting your advances.

Here's one way we train speed and reaction time:

SLAP DRILL:

Against an opponent, slap the shoulder (head surrogate) or thigh (groin surrogate). Block when he attacks you the same way.

Do this in a random circling pattern. Try to stay out of the opponent's line of fire while getting your hits in.

Add another person and do 2-on-1. Switch so that all three members get their chance to be "the one".

Eventually go for the head and groin.

No_Know
06-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Drills might be things done to make one more capable, in general by repetition.

I think that there might be exercises and drills.

The Gentleman's Art of Boxing at least eventually has a thing called a one two punch--two punches. I think that the style of puching can be predetermined and the numbers can be assigned a style (the same or different style--hook, jab, cross, uppercut, straight punch.?.). The numbers are called out at differing rates (perhaps faster). 1,,2. 1,2. 12...

In Western Boxing, it might be thought that using the right strategy for your particular opponent can be important if not vital. And the actual attack is the punch the opponent is driven in to or opens up to, by the first punch.

I think by classical, Void Boxing, you are referring to Chinese Kung-Fu drills. But I used the Western Boxing, One-Two punch to convey what is present in any drill. Learning a useful tactic.

I've learned a Kung-Fu form. In it is Butterfly palms (If you don't know Butterfly palms and you think you are in a Hung family related kung-fu, give it three years, you might likely hear about it by then). I looked at this technique. It seemed to me to be potentially four diversions and a push which ties-up (pressestwo arms against the opponents body. The push if presses only one arm still strikes. The top can strike the vertical center of the chest or the solar plexus or the stomach (not the tummy). The bottom strike can hit the groin or somewhere above there.

Under this thoughtI realized that if these are tangling-up punches intended to harm me (at least land), then I need coordination but, Ahhh. A notice: There is a wiggle to the technique. A four point wiggle. The first two are deflection helpers and the third is set-up for the push.

Doing the wiggle--the complete technique would be an exercise (even if repeated).

However, the deflection (wiggle or not) can be practiced to heighten the execution of the exercise or the technique. I start at the shoulder and the front hip. As I go from one side to the other and hands alternate level. I hit those areas. There-by improving resistance to damage and strengthening (perhaps).

This is a drill.

Is it Classical...I No_Know. It is not one I heard about or saw in the movies or read in a book. But it seems likely a practice someone looking to improve might do. Kung-Fu was forbidden in China.-ish some masters were killed/executed, theoretically. All the "Classical" things will not be told to us. But is not beyond being done.

I Needed~ (not created, merely there-ish).~ The drill was there. There are perhaps others. Perhaps when you need, you will come across one or more of the "Classical" (useful) drills.

flaco
06-19-2003, 09:53 AM
if the drills are trained against classical strikes, there are better things you can do. drill against a person pushing you the throwing a punch, and see how you defend, use helmets, and have the guy swing hard, this is more like a street reality, rarely in the street will two guys square off, at least in my neighborhood. the thing you need to do is to train your art to work against todays fighters, defend takedowns, counter chokes, be able to defend against boxing,etc.
as afr as attributes, you can train many things like was stated, jump rope, speed bag, two man drills, double end bag, etc.

GeneChing
11-26-2018, 09:33 AM
I didn't know where to post this but this thread turned up when I searched 'groin' and this is just too weird not to share with our forum here.

MMA
|
By Liam Daniel Pierce
|
Aug 22 2018, 8:14am
UFC Fighter Bryce Mitchell Ripped His Nutsack to Shreds with a Drill (https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/zmk75e/ufc-fighter-bryce-mitchell-ripped-his-nutsack-to-shreds-with-a-drill?utm_source=vicefbus&fbclid=iwar3j8nh22-n0w45savnkqdn5xsnrlog06m4onp8-5wj2ulpecgoiofkbtl0)
It was a bloody mess.

https://video-images.vice.com/articles/5b7d72a306343b000ca35bf0/lede/1534948941790-Screen-Shot-2018-08-22-at-104134-AM.png
Photo via Twitter / @ThugnastyMMA

Trust me, I didn't want to write that headline any more than you wanted to read it. But here we are: UFC fighter Bryce Mitchell made similarly gruesome headlines Tuesday after rolling his family jewels through a kaleidoscope—that is, ripping his nuts apart with a hand drill. Hard—impossibly hard—cringe.

Reading the play-by-play is like staring into the sun—if the sun had tubgirl (don't look it up) projected onto it. The 10-0 fighter describes how he was measuring a board when all of a sudden, the power drill he stuck in his pants (more on that in a second) went off and "tangled [his] nuts up in it." But don't take my word for it—mostly because I can't bring myself to write any more detail on the matter:

Bryce Mitchell (https://twitter.com/ThugnastyMMA/status/1032014226657878023/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwte rm%5E1032014226657878023&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FThugnastyMMA%2 Fstatus%2F1032014226657878023)

@ThugnastyMMA
Follow Follow @ThugnastyMMA
More
Imma be out for a little bit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlJzc9dW0AMQoT4.jpg

2:19 PM - 21 Aug 2018

First of all, has dude not seen the countless cowboy gags that involve some cocksure (pun intended) gunslinger stuffing his firearm down his pants? It's just like Chekhov's gun—except you know it has to go off on the guy's nuts. Chekhov surely would have known how this story ends for Bryce Mitchell.

Second of all, how do you have the composure to reverse the drill to "untangle" your nutsack? One-hundred percent would just have passed out—and again, I'm surprised I didn't do so while writing that last sentence. Mitchell talks about how he can't post a pic of it—thank God—but then he went ahead and posted a pic anyway:

Bryce Mitchell (https://twitter.com/ThugnastyMMA/status/1032023372249681920/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwte rm%5E1032023372249681920&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FThugnastyMMA%2 Fstatus%2F1032023372249681920)

@ThugnastyMMA
Follow Follow @ThugnastyMMA
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlJ7yJoV4AEDQnw.jpg

2:55 PM - 21 Aug 2018

It's like he reenacted the Red Wedding with his junk. Oh god.

Among the jaw-dropping carnage that plays in your mind like A Clockwork Orange scene, one of the more unfathomable things is that the man ends his description of the graphic incident with an "lol." Leave it to someone who deals in physical pain to walk away laughing in this horrific scenario.