PDA

View Full Version : New Southern Kung Fu site!

Lost Oath
06-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the place to do so but I'd like to pay your attention to my new site - InterMantis (http://intermantis.idz.net) .

The site manly deals with Southern Kunf Fu Styles such as Southern Praying Mantis, Wing Chun etc. and has many articles, stories and even some videos on the subject.

I would like your help in finding more reliable material on the subject and southern systems such as:

Black Tiger (thx jeff ;))
Choy-Li-Fut
Hung Gar
White Eyebrow - Bak Mei
Choy Mok
Hung Fut
Green Dragon Kung Fu (?)

The stuffI've found so far were, how to put this gently... too Northen. ;)

Anyways, hope you can help and... Enjoy the site!

~Lost Oath

jmd161
06-14-2003, 10:53 PM
How can you have a list of Southern Styhles without "Black Tiger" on it?

I'm just messing with you bro.:D

jeff :)

Lost Oath
06-14-2003, 11:04 PM
oh yea, that too.. um.. ;)

The fact is I dont know of too many "reliable" southern styles out there.

I checked the site but I don't know chinese either so unless you got some english site for me...

jmd161
06-14-2003, 11:16 PM
That's my Sigung's school website in Hong Kong.There is no english one at this time. I along with my sifu,sisuk,and sihing are putting an english one together.

There are several different schools of Black Tiger besides ours.You have Shantung and you also have Fu Jow Pai.My style Hak Fu Moon is not related to either of those Black Tiger styles.Our Black Tiger is the one created by the Shaolin Monk Soo Hak Fu and is also the same Black Tiger Wong Fei Hung of Hung Gar fame learned.

jeff:)

5thBrother
06-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey

Great Site. good stuff!! keep up the good work and good luck!

5thBro

===========

http://tonglongforums.cjb.net
Or
http://pub159.ezboard.com/bsouthernprayingmantiskungfu

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AussieKungFU

Lost Oath
06-15-2003, 01:49 AM
jeff: Hmm.. Very intresting. Are these all diffrent styles of the same system or diffrent systems (pai) created by diffrent masters in diffrent times.

If the second answer is the right one, why are they all called Southern Black Tiger?

From what I know (for exaple) there is only one Souther Praying Mantis (Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai) and even though learnd by more then one masters (Henry Poo Yee, Geen Fo Mark) they all studied under the same master, which means it's the same system, just taking diffrent roads depending on the teacher...

5thBrother: Thanks! Just doing what I can... ;)

jmd161
06-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Lost Oath
jeff: Hmm.. Very intresting. Are these all diffrent styles of the same system or diffrent systems (pai) created by diffrent masters in diffrent times.

If the second answer is the right one, why are they all called Southern Black Tiger?

;)

Lost Oath,

I know that Shantung is a Northern China style of Black Tiger.Fu Jow Pai although a Southern China style i'm not sure who created Fu Jow Pai.If you look at Hung Gar you will see that there are several different schools of Hung Gar.Not just the Hung Gar what Wong Fei Hung is famous for.Fu Jow Pai could have been at one time the same system as our's or not i'm not really sure.It is well known that Masters were known to exchange styles among each other.That was so many yrs ago who really knows what happened? One thing for sure you can't talk about Southern China styles and leave out Black Tiger.That's like talking about Northern China styles and never talking about Longfist.

Lost Oath
06-15-2003, 06:19 AM
gocha' jeff, point taken.

original message has been edited also...

Gold Horse Dragon
06-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Hi There LO,

Nice Site!

Southern Black Tiger is one or the more rare and secretive systems.
Our Kwoon's core system is Southern Black Tiger. Here is the link.
You will find lots of information on the site. This is not the exact same system as jmd's.
Shaolin West Kung Fu Kwoon (http://www.mts.net/~sillum/Index.htm)

GHD

Lost Oath
06-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Heya GHD, nice site.

Your system seems reliable, very nice movie clips.

Hope you don't mind me adding them and some articles to the database in my site - credit will be granted.

Also a question:

Just something little I want to know, do you have a arm+leg attack or defense combinations in your system?

From the videos I saw your attacks/defense go one arm at a time, while the other is still.

chen zhen
06-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Lost oath.. most of the texts on your website is in hebrew.. can't read that F*cked up language:p ;)

also, the downloads does'nt work

else, the page looks nice

Lost Oath
06-15-2003, 10:36 AM
chen zhen: About the language... There are only 4 Hebrew articles (out of 30 or so) so it's not that bad. By the way, I get the same problem as you with chinese ;)

I know about the downloads, still trying to find a reliable server...

chen zhen
06-15-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't speak chinese, i'm danish:D

jmd161
06-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Heya GHD, nice site.

Hope you don't mind me adding them and some articles to the database in my site - credit will be granted.

Also a question:

Just something little I want to know, do you have a arm+leg attack or defense combinations in your system?

From the videos I saw your attacks/defense go one arm at a time, while the other is still.

Loast Oath,

You lost me there.Because Gold Horse Dragon sifu's site has video that makes it reliable? Don't get me wrong i have no problems with GHD or Sifu Wes i've spoken with him several times he is legit,but that makes no sense to me.Or is it that you're just looking for video clips to add to your site?

What GHD said is very true Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn (Shaolin Black Tiger) is very rare and secretive.it's just over the last 5yrs that my sifu has decided to help spread knowledge to everyone about Black Tiger.If you look in this months Inside Kung Fu magazine you'll see an article on our style of Black Tiger.Also in the mar/apr and july/aug 2001 Kung fu Qigong Magazine did articles on our style.Anyway i just thought it was funny that you're talking about southern styles and left out Black Tiger,Southern Shaolin ,and also Fu Jow Pai.

Lastest Issue of IKF (http://www.cfw2.com/magazine.asp?content_id=3358)

P.S. You're welcome no problem bro! :D

jeff :)

Lost Oath
06-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Jeff,

I'm still learning just as you. I do not know all the Southern Kung Fu styles ever created - if I did, I wouldn't come to this forum in the first place. I came here because of people like you that can always enlight be on new subjects - now I know of 3 new southern styles and thats geart.

Yes, I find GHD's site reliable. Not because it has videos but because I saw the videos and read some of the articles and it just doesn't look like some wo-shu-fancy-crappy-moves (all the wu-shu masters are now pointing a gun at my head ;)).

From the videos I saw that the style has many characteristics of the Southern styles such as no low kicks ,low stances, mainly use of arms (though it's understandable since it's a tiger style after all) etc...

Again, I could be wrong since this is the first time I encouter this style but.. Well.. That's something too I guess..

If I'm mistaken it's your job to correct me - for if you don't there is no use of having a forum.

WanderingMonk
06-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by jmd161

Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn (Shaolin Black Tiger) is very rare and secretive.

Hey Jeff,

Now, I don't think Hak Fu Muhn is secretive just rare. Heck, Soo Hak Fu opened a kwon in Canton and taught openly. He was also challenged by a local master and won. This helped to put his kwoon "on the map" and attracted a lot of students. So, I really don't think Hak Fu system was secretive ;)

Hope things are going well.

wm

Gold Horse Dragon
06-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Heya GHD, nice site.

Also a question:

Hi LO,

Thanks, glad you liked the site, feel free to use what you need, along with proper credit as you say. It was just a sampling of the wide array of techniques and principles of the system. I am not sure if I understood your question. We have counters and attacks that defend and attack the bridge arm and leg at the same time. We rarely attack with both arms at is can leave a door open undefended. We do have two arm grabs to an attacking limb and two fu jow strikes for certain situations.

jmd

I thing LO mean't that the self defense and forms sampling of this Southern Black Tiger System on the site looked legitimate and made sense from a tradiitonal and self-defense point of view.

GHD

jmd161
06-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk

Hey Jeff,

Now, I don't think Hak Fu Muhn is secretive just rare. Heck, Soo Hak Fu opened a kwon in Canton and taught openly. He was also challenged by a local master and won. This helped to put his kwoon "on the map" and attracted a lot of students. So, I really don't think Hak Fu system was secretive ;)

Hope things are going well.

wm

WanderingMonk,

Hey what's going on have'nt heard from you in a while?

Well i guess that was a bad choice of words,but it is very rare even in China these days.Our style of " Spirit Boxing " also keeps us under an occult like veil.That's something i never knew about Soo Hak Fu.

You sure know alot about our style!

GHD,

Ok i see what you are saying.

WanderingMonk
06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by jmd161

WanderingMonk,

Hey what's going on have'nt heard from you in a while?

Well i guess that was a bad choice of words,but it is very rare even in China these days.Our style of " Spirit Boxing " also keeps us under an occult like veil.That's something i never knew about Soo Hak Fu.

You sure know alot about our style!

Hey Jeff,

Just been hanging out. Didn't have much to say because my kungfu is bad, so it is best to keep my mouth shut.

Anyway, the story about GM Soo is on the black-tiger web site, you are at a disadvantage because of the language problem. :)

The "spiritual boxing" is basically a form of daoist practice. In daoist practice, there are the salvation practices and the worldly practices. The wordly practices are meant to guide people toward the salvation practices.

The "spiritual boxing" is the latter ("worldly"). Sometimes because the practitioners did bad thing using these skills, the occult label get used.

Also, there's the boxer rebellion. The white lotus society taught their soldiers a form of "spirtual boxing". Now, that really put the occult label on "spiritual boxing" for good. If you watch "Once a upon of time in China II", you'll see the bad guy in the white lotus society try to "summon" spiritual help to make his body invincible. But, against bullets, these "iron body" gets destroy.

A couple southern arts have some form of "spiritual boxing" in their systems. I am not sure how the southern arts use the "spiritual boxing" in the development of their students. I get the impression it is used for strictly martial intent, but this is based on strictly casual observations.

Anyway, you definitely need a good teacher for this kind of thing. Good = morally upstanding. Anything less, I won't touch it with a 10 feet pole.

see you around.

wm

jmd161
06-16-2003, 06:44 PM
WM,

You're right i'm at a disadvantage with the language.:D

Darn It! i wish i could read Chinese!:p

Thank's as usual bro!