PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Flips!!!

StickyHands
06-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Hi, Im just wondering do any of the internal kwoons ever captured or usually taught/teach the impetuousl, frivolity, and implusiveness of youth, meaning forms such as acrobatic extraneous kicks and jumps and ice breaking fists, etc, i.e. butterfly kick, backflip, tornado kick, tornado kick with split? You know the crazy stuff, just to build an alternate way of flexibility and for the fun of it? Although I do wonder that in traditional CMA, if high kicks and jumps were detrimental in an actual fight, why the old master felt like they had incorporate othet than for agility? Even some good external styles like traditional Longfist have those moves (asides from demonstrative wushu) Please, no more controversial opinions, no no no, -_- lol. Only subjective facts if possible. Whether it's in the system or not, no more bashing.

Laughing Cow
06-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Stickyhands.

A lot of CMA train high kicks but don't kick hight during actual fighting.

Don't know about flips and things like that.
We got one section where you finish Yun Shou and your right leg performs a high front kick and after that we sit down with the left leg straight forward and the right leg at the side. Not a perfect split, but than we need to stand up from there for the next move.

Not sure if that counts as acrobtic enough in your book you ol' troll you.
:D

Cheers.

Shooter
06-15-2003, 11:01 AM
The Fast-wrestling set in the TCC I practice has all kinds of tumbling and 'acrobatic' exercises for developing fluidity and adroitness.

StickyHands
06-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

Not sure if that counts as acrobtic enough in your book you ol' troll you.
:D

Cheers.

:eek: OH MY GOODNESS, You actually made a compliment! Why thank you :D

Originally posted by Shooter
The Fast-wrestling set in the TCC I practice has all kinds of tumbling and 'acrobatic' exercises for developing fluidity and adroitness.

What's a fast-wrestling in TCC, and what are these acrobatic exercises? Thanks.

TaiChiBob
06-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Greetings..

It is my understanding that many of the high techniques were used to take opponents off horses, they remain today as part of the tradition..

Be well..

StickyHands
06-15-2003, 08:41 PM
That's what I heard before for the Northern styles of kung fu, but is that plausible or realistic? A horse might be walking or running as well, plus some of the high kicks like the butterfly might not be a such a good idea for it.

brassmonkey
06-15-2003, 10:13 PM
no offense to the venerable TaichiBob but I have to disagree. For years people talked about the high flying kicks of taekwondo as being used to take out people on horses. If you think about it the timing would be so difficult as well as the power just wouldnt be sufficient and very impractical. As we know now from the General who created tkd is that it came from a Shotokan Karate book and who knows why they did such flying kicks. I believe there's a certain sythe looking weapon in the old days they used to chop off the horses legs, no need to jump kick someone off a horse. There was a very good discussion on this very subject on mma.tv on the history section a month or 2 back.

TaiChiBob
06-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Greetings..

No offense taken, differing perspectives help us get a better understanding of issues.. "venerable"?, not likely!! but the sentiment is appreciated..

My understanding comes from conversations with G'Master Chan Pui.. The butterfly kick was used to meet a charging rider, and yes, timing was very important.. The ground defender would run toward a charging rider and attempt to flip both feet up and into the riders torso hoping for a dismount... and i am also familiar with the "Horse Cutter" a +/- 6' long blade similar to a Broadsword, where the user would target the front legs of the horse.. There were only a few techniques that were specifically designed to dismount a rider, most we see today are spin-offs of those, primarily used today for flexibility and flash.. That being said, a certain level of confidence building occurs whenever we successfully complete difficult gymnastic moves..

Aside from all that, at my age i keep my feet primarily on the ground (i cant remember the last time we trained with horses)..

Be well..

chen zhen
06-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Shotokan does'nt really have that many flying kicks. I think they just have the jumping front, side, or maybe backspin kick. Shotokan is more simple in tech, not so flowery. TKD have they're jumping kicks from older korean sports (TaeKyon), where you were only supposed to do kicks.. that's why they have so many today.