PDA

View Full Version : First fight

bodhitree
06-16-2003, 05:36 AM
hey all
i've got one week, a buddy of mine has a brother who trains boxers, and he wants me to go three rounds with one of his guys. I've never boxed or fought before, what kind of training should I do. I think I got one up on a boxer cause i can switch from orthodox to southpaw, but I'm kinda nervous. any advice appreaciated!

Robinf
06-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Heavy bag, foot work, target practice and jump rope.

Almost forgot. Spar. But do so lightly for now--no sense getting hurt before the actual event.

bodhitree
06-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Thank you:)

Merryprankster
06-17-2003, 09:53 AM
I almost guarentee you that your biggest problem is going to be gas, unless you train pretty **** hard.

But it's too late to do anything about that.

Starchaser107
06-18-2003, 12:45 AM
tell us how it went when its all over

SanSoo Student
06-18-2003, 01:11 AM
jump rope, thats one of the most concise ways to train for boxing..
It trains the speed of your footwork, while providing great cardio exercise. hit 2 birds with 1 stone type training.

bodhitree
06-18-2003, 05:31 AM
Thanks all, greatly appeciated. I dont know why I accepted this invitation to fight, i'm peaceful and I practice CMA not boxing. Oh well its only going to be 3 rounds, and hell I can nain to a boxer and they wont know what to think.

Jowbacca
06-18-2003, 01:03 PM
"Only 3 rounds"

LOL famous last words. :D

joedoe
06-18-2003, 06:48 PM
2 minutes can seem like an eternity when you are in the ring. Good luck.

rubthebuddha
06-19-2003, 12:21 PM
just knock 'em unconscious in the first 30 seconds, then spend the rest of the time waxing his body hair. when he wakes up, he'll have a headache, and a surprise.

SanSoo Student
06-19-2003, 11:29 PM
3 rounds..
3 min x 3 with 15 sec rest between..
that pretty crazy..
thats as intense as un a mile in 4 flat.

RedSkaNite
06-22-2003, 05:12 PM
The only thing you can do is hope the other guy is nice. If you don't know what you are doing and are going up against a trained boxer in a week, you are just as hurt as he wants you to be. Don't get it the ring with this guy if you think he might feel like hurting you.

chen zhen
06-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Good luck booty..;) :p

Oh, and don't forget: no fear. hope that helps.

Marky
06-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi Bodhitree,

Not sure if you went into your match yet, but if you haven't, be sure to go in there and BE AGGRESSIVE! I've watched too many gongfu guys get beaten because they were nervous and held back and danced around. The second that bell rings, just walk right toward him and start fighting, and don't let up until you have to.

In short, focus all your energy into trying to kill the guy with your bare hands, but always stop at the last second. Especially since there's almost a 100% chance that he'll be treating you the same way. This is important: Don't build up your aggression by focusing on anger or something you hate, just realize that the other guy's trying to hurt you, so you have to take the fight to him and never let up. Think of it like it's your job, no emotions (don't even feel good when you're doing well).

If you haven't tried this already, be sure to feel the difference between having aggressive power (relentlessness with good technique) and "getting angry".

Of course, if this is supposed to be a friendly, light match, then ignore what I just said!

WanderingMonk
07-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey BodhiTree,

It July now, so I guess you already fought. How did it go?

Just curious

wm

Serpent
07-01-2003, 06:32 PM
He's dead.

WanderingMonk
07-01-2003, 07:15 PM
he's dead? :<

Wow, boxing prove to be superior against TMA again?

I saw a post by him today on TCM forum. So, he is still breathing. Although he might be looking for some TCM formula to help heal up. But if the TMA didn't work for him, why would he want to use TCM ? :0)

Let's see if the dead can reply to this post.

wm

bodhitree
07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm not quite dead, actually we just ended up sparring and not fighting. Like I said it was a buddy of mines brother who trains the athletes, but it was my buddy who was saying it was going to be a fight. It was a good experiance to spar with a boxer!! I dont know if I could box, I'd probably end up kicking or grabbing or something. Thanks for all the help and concern!