PDA

View Full Version : Hurt shoulder, any help?

Shaolin-Do
06-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Yes, I have a stupid shoulder. It will not heal. The muscles are torn, must have surgery. Cannot lift weights with left arm, and I dont want to be lop sided so I have basically quit training with my right arm too. Do iron palm w/both hands, but no more heavy bag hitting, weight lifting, basic power training. This makes me very sad. Anyone know of a training method for the biceps/triceps that wont rape my stupid hurting shoulder? (the muscles in the back of it, just behind where the socket is, are torn and feel like bruised fruit) Anyone trained with a similar problem? Albeit my kicks are getting hella deadly, and sparring 1 handed is going to make me extremely proficient with 2, I can see my hand speed and power going to sh!t.
Any suggestions would be nice.
Thanks,
SD

bodhitree
06-16-2003, 07:10 AM
TCM forum, if you want a solution that will work!

Shaolin-Do
06-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Usually get pretty good help here.
I wont remember to check the TCM forum by the time someone replys.

Kempo Guy
06-16-2003, 01:25 PM
I suggest looking into a joint-health program, such as "warrior wellness' or 'super joints'. This will help you recover your ROM if you're injured.

I've had chronic shoulder problems and these types of exercises have helped me tremendously.

KG

Golden Arms
06-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Last time I had a shoulder injury, I did side presses with light weight, so that it hurt, but just barely if at all...rotated my shoulder through its full ROM, rubbed it out with Zheng Gu Shui, and mainly, FINALLY, just stopped using it, since I kept reinjuring it trying to use it "a little"....be nice to it, then work it hard again once it is totally healed..

PAMantis
06-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Shaolin-Do,

I have a chronic sholder dislocation problem and chronic knee sprains. What I have found works well is tendon training. This is just from my personal experience, and I think this is what my physical therapist wanted me to do all those years ago. Basically what you do for your sholder is let it heal then slowly start strengthening the tendons in an effort to increase the muscle-bone tension, thus keeping things in place better. To do this you need to get some light dumb-bells (>10 lbs.) and slowly lift your arms straight out from a hanging position until they are parrallel to the ground. Very slowly rotate your arms through thier ROM. I know this works if you keep your arms to the side, but I believe it will also work if you lift them straight out in front of you also. I know it sounds stupid, but if you take about 30 seconds to raise, rotate, and lower your arms, I can gaurentee it will begin to burn after about 15 reps. It will also quickly help you to strengthen your tendons, and allow for stronger muscles. Good luck!

Andrew

monkey mind
06-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Sounds like a partial rotator cuff tear. The rotator cuff muscles are basically stabilizers, holding the humerus in the socket, and so any upper arm exercise will involve them to some degree. Rest for now. It will get better in time (months) & meanwhile you can work on core strength & your legs. I personally have found chinese herbs to be really helpful in dealing with soft-tissue injuries. Chin Koo (Jin Goo) is a patent formula that is effective for such problems, but really I'd recommend asking a chinese herbalist for specific recommendations. But take it easy. A few mnths of rest might seem like a drag now but it beats a lifetime of lingering pain.

Kempo Guy
06-17-2003, 12:11 PM
FWIW, I've recovered from two tears to my AC joint over the past year using joint-health (joint and tendon strength) programs listed above. I REALLY recommend investing in Warrior Wellness if you are serious about strengthening and improving your ROM and joint articulation. BTW, I've also had chronic tendonitis as well as bursitis in my shoulders (side effect of a life of contact sports... :D)

I would NOT recommend using weights when doing ROM exercises (unless your joints and tendons are strong to begin with).

You may want to start thinking about taking some supplements like Glucosamine as well.

KG