PDA

View Full Version : Lau Gar in Hung Style

Jan Seung
06-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Is the Lau Gar in Hung Kuen the same as in british Lau Gar?
How old is the Lau Gar?

iron thread
06-17-2003, 10:56 PM
No, British Lau Gar and Hung Kuen Lau Gar are two different styles.

jmd161
06-17-2003, 11:26 PM
I hear ppl say that the Lau Gar in Hung Gar is different than the Lau Gar in England.I don't know for sure because not all Hung Gar Lau Gar looks the same. I've seen Lau Gar that looked exactly like the Lau Gar i learned and then i've seen other Hung Gar schools that Lau Gar looked totally different.

I really have'nt seen the Lau Gar in England so i can't say.

jeff:)

TenTigers
06-18-2003, 08:19 PM
One of the things that stands out about our Lau-Ga is that it emphasizes spiraling energy. The entire form has twining and twisting of the body to generate power, as well as chop choy strikes that spira inward. If anything, it seems to me to be very Choy Li Fut-like, with butterfly palms, and hooking, grabbing, and twisting sow choy strikes. There is also a section that includes a cranial/sacral pump that pumps the cerebral spinal fluid and the lymphatic system. I've seen others that do not include this, and some that do. It seems that every Hung school has their own version of this form.

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 12:56 PM
10T: Can you elaborate a bit on the Cranial/Sacral pump movement? I am aware of this physiological process and have seen a method to regulate it, but that involved another person lightly cupping the recipients head and attuning themself to the flow which was detected.

TenTigers
06-19-2003, 03:00 PM
ok, this is gonna be tricky...stand in Yee Ji Kim Yeung Ma. Bring your fists together in front of your face-eyebrow height, round your shoulders, tuck your chin, tuck your tailbone, so you are stretching the spine-body concave-exhale. Open your arms out to two (for lack of a better term) outer blocks, arch your back, straighten your legs,look up at the sky, do this while inhaling. Perform this series eight times.

TenTigers
06-19-2003, 03:03 PM
-forgot to mention-in the form, the movements are not so exaggerated-the feet are together, and the opening and closing are subtler.-From what I've seen, many movements are more implied rather than spelled out. I suppose many times forms hid movements so that others outside the P'ai would not learn the secrets.