PDA

View Full Version : 5 or 10 animals

Jan Seung
06-17-2003, 11:48 AM
I have read that some people say Hung Gar has ten animals.
I thought it was only 5?

David Jamieson
06-17-2003, 11:50 AM
5 animals.

maybe you heard of Sup ying Kuen?

Check out www.fuhok.com
or www.Hungga.net for good information on the Hung Fist

cheers

Fu-Pow
06-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Saap Ying Kyun literally translates as 10 Shapes Fist not 10 Animals Fist.

The first 5 shapes are Tiger, Crane, Panther, Snake and Dragon.

The second 5 shapes correspond to the elements Wood, Fire, Water, Metal and Earth.

At least that is my understanding.

iron thread
06-17-2003, 10:51 PM
It is also my understanding that the Sup Ying Kuen is composed of 5 animals and 5 elements.

bean curd
06-18-2003, 01:15 AM
hung kuen does have 10 animals. it is not spoken of much these days and in general terms the focus is only on the known 5. the ten animals is not the same as fong sai yuk ten animals as this hung kuen is a different name and character. what i mean by not the same as fong sai yuk hung kuen is the character and expression is not condusive to hung kuen of wfh lineage.

it is said also that the ten animals is of village influence, however this is not the full story as hung kuen of wong fei hung lineage is also aware of the other 5 animals, however like i have said not many discuss, and from personal experiance even know of them or the skills the bring to the player.

the other five animals brings focus to many things, much like the general five animals.

sup ying kuen is not 10 animal base, as others have rightly stated sup ying is ten shapes - which are the ng ying - five animals and ng hong - five elements.

you will be hard pressed for many to know of these skills let alone know of the animals and how to discuss them in detail.

personal transmission is the key from your sifu

ursa major
06-18-2003, 10:36 AM
I've been doing Hung-Gar for some time now and have never known anyone to include any other animals than the five (dragon, tiger, leopard, snake, crane), atleast in what we have come to know as traditional Hung-Gar. Bean curd -- not sure where the '10 animals' come from ? Would be interested to hear more.

The one or more of the five animal characteristics are seen in every Hung-Gar forms for example Tiger & Crane, Ten Forms, etc. They are plain for the eye to see. From the standard curriculum that I practice there are only 5 animal forms and 5 elements.

regards,
UM.

Fu-Pow
06-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Bean curd-

So you are saying that the other 5 animals are from Hay Say Fu Hung Ga not the Lam Sai Wing Hung Ga. What are the other 5 animals?

Golden Arms
06-18-2003, 12:25 PM
If beancurd is talking about what I think he is, then one of them would be Elephant..Correct or not?

Lao Shan
06-18-2003, 04:04 PM
in shaolin and hunggar there is dragon, snake, tiger, crane, leopard.
in 5 animals frolic (hua to) there is bear, deer, bird, monkey, tiger.
maybe hung has this in some families?

Diu Sao
06-18-2003, 11:49 PM
In Choy Lee Fut (Chan family) there is a 10 animal form in the high levels of the system. It's a long form (about 4 to 5 mins). he said each animal is done one at a time. The form starts with the five traditional animals (dragon, leopard, tiger etc..) and then (I don't know the exact order) horse, deer, monkey, elephant, lion. That's about all I know, hopes this helps

Sam Tripp

bean curd
06-19-2003, 02:56 AM
ursa major -

because you have not heard it does not indicate they does not exist. i too learn what you call traditional hung kuen.
the question to be asked here is - does your sifu know them. if they do, then it is too their timing that they will share them with you, if not, then why not ?? simple questions will give simple answers.

the reason the five ( lung, fu , hok, sei, pau ) are easy to see, is because you are aware of them as such once seen easily revealed - awarness is the key.

fu pow -

you jump to immediate conclusions. where did i say they come from hasayfu ?? there are many village kuen, hasayfu is only one of many. i do not do hasayfu, therefore i will not coment.

golden arms -

yes elephant is one, another is horse. think of just these two animals !! visit the forms and see within - the animal. all ten are present in the forms, you just have to know where too look. some are representitive of faht while others are ging, many share shen and yi - all paramount.

lao shan -

the five animal frolics are a concept ( health ) which is complex and not of the 10 animals of hung kuen, this is also like choy lay fat, xing yi kuen, ba gwa, bai mei etc. a name may be the same but the simularity is only in the name.

it is good to see such interest, however i wish to point out that the only reason i post was due to the apparent confusion over the 10 animals of hung kuen and the form sup ying kuen. a few people are asking questions of me, and although i thank you for them i do not wish to participate further. the reason being, is that this is something that is not spoken off and to bring understanding would take many words and sometime - which i do not have

ursa major
06-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by bean curd
ursa major - because you have not heard it does not indicate they does not exist. i too learn what you call traditional hung kuen. the question to be asked here is - does your sifu know them. if they do, then it is too their timing that they will share them with you, if not, then why not ?? simple questions will give simple answers. the reason the five ( lung, fu , hok, sei, pau ) are easy to see, is because you are aware of them as such once seen easily revealed - awarness is the key.

Agreed. My previous comment was shallow if I had thought about I would have realized the system also includes monkey and praying mantis amongst others...

UM.

neit
07-07-2003, 12:45 AM
the only thing that i dislike about kung fu is the prevalence of animal fetishes.

Ben Gash
07-08-2003, 03:13 AM
This is from my lineage. It's an old Nan Sil Lum/village Hung Gar form.
www.mousavi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/shaolintenanimals.html
In my school it's taught after Sup Ying.