PDA

View Full Version : should you stretch a strained hamstring?

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-17-2003, 06:30 PM
im not sure that i pulled it, unless there are small degrees of pulling a muscle, but when i do the one stretch where you sit with your legs spread and lean straight down in the middle i feel a pinching in my hamstring. i guess its my hamstring, its actually underneeth my groin muscle by my starfish. in the same position i can lean to either side, i can do the butterfly stretch, and pretty much any other leg stretch without it bothering me at all. i can actually stretch past this pinching point and go quite a bit further before i feel it pinching again, but im not sure this is a good idea. i remember a long time ago one of my teachers told me not to because small pinching like that usually meant micro tears in the muscle that could get a lot worse if you keep stretching it. any truth to this or do you guys just say fu ck it and see what happens?

Vash
06-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Whenever it feels strained, it probly is. Try Bengay, Dit Da Jow, Johnny Walker, and rest.

My favorite is epsom salt baths, really hot.

rogue
06-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Careful GDA, I did that once and passed a kilbasa.

Serpent
06-17-2003, 08:32 PM
You're really amused by the whole passing of kilbasa incident, huh, Rogue!

Becca
06-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Vash
My favorite is epsom salt baths, really hot.

Oh, wait. You said bath, not enima. Never mind.:p :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-17-2003, 10:27 PM
it was five minute old kabosi skin im tellin ya!

cross board quantum leaping makes my head hurt.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-17-2003, 10:28 PM
... quantum leap was a good show.

Robinf
06-18-2003, 05:53 AM
Stretch your quad and hip flexor. Let your hammie rest.

shaolin kungfu
06-18-2003, 06:42 AM
That dude on quantum leap is now on star trek. he's an ass.

Losttrak
06-18-2003, 09:44 AM
No stretching as it will dmg the fibers further and if the healing is prolonged.... better chance of actually building "scarred fibers" which never regain their pliability. This has happened to me twice and once I can touch it without pain I start doing poolwork. Basically you want to gently doing a sort of "donkey kick" that focuses on using the hamstring and gluts to push your leg behind you. It will have the feeling of doing light reps as it slowly starts to burn... As long as it doesnt SHARPLY hurt you should be working towards rebuilting the muscle. If it starts to sting... stop and wait a little longer. Pools are the quickest way in my opinion to heal this type of injury as its the smoothest/most gentle method of therapy.