PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult technique to teach and explain??

stuartm
06-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Hi all - any thoughts on this?

IMHO Bong Sau is one that takes a lot of time and effort to explain in terms of usage, structure etc

What do you find is the most difficult to teach or maybe to put it another way, the most patience to teach???

Chi sau is the obvious one, but im thinking about techniques in particular.

Regards, Stu

old jong
06-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Hi Stu!
I agree with you for Bong Sau!...It takes some times for beginners to really understand the drilling motion within Bong Sau and not just raise the elbow.

I have to add also : Not to overdo all the motions.Not to go out of the triangle/structure with motions.

couch
06-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Definately economy of motion...not allowing your elbow to come out...keeping it on your centre...

reneritchie
06-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Pok Yik Jeung, because the power is different than most other movements and many will try to use the shoulders to push rather than the horse and waist to turn. There's another one that's even harder, since it involves moving the bridges one way but sending the power another. Then there are different kinds of power placement movements that you really just have to work and work to feel no matter how much explination.

Tom Kagan
06-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Patience is the most difficult technique to explain and teach.

yuanfen
06-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Most difficult?

Bong, tan and fok
and their relationships<g>

AztecaPreist
06-19-2003, 12:31 AM
I would have to agree with Tom that patience is the hardest thing to teach. When you get new people and that goes for myself as well. We just want to jump right into the advanced things as fast as we can. It is a feeling like the Matrix movie just plug us in and in an instant we are Kung Fu masters. For me it was the wooden dummy that lured me in. All I wanted was to hit it. Then to my surprise I was learning how to properly use my goat herding stance and throw a proper punch and pak sau. While all the while drooling for the dummy. Then after touchng hands with senior students I knew That I had some ways to crawl before walking on the path. So I too feel that getting new students to learn patience in working their way up through the ranks is the hardest of all with the wide variety of people coming in to the kwoon to learn. We all have are different way of learning as well as a different way of upbringing wich requires a different approach at how you tell each person the same thing, they all hear it differently.

zen_monkey
06-19-2003, 05:26 AM
Its hard to get across that true striking power requires less muscular grunt and more pivotal technique

anerlich
06-19-2003, 03:42 PM
WC has simple techniques.

For real complexity, try Eddie Bravo's "Twister" from BJJ.

old jong
06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
Me to my 16 years old dauther: How was that exam?...
Her: No problem!...Easy!
Me: Oh! Oh!...

kj
06-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Where the energy/force/power comes from. This is, IMHO, related and runner up to Tom Kagan's "patience."

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Wingman
06-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by anerlich
WC has simple techniques....

I agree with anerlich. WC has simple techniques. What is most difficult to teach is the idea that WC is not about techniques. WC principles are more important than techniques. The techniques are just tools to apply those principles in real life.

I had a classmate who wanted to learn all the WC techniques. Our teacher told him that WC techniques is like money. If you hoard it & become a miser, it won't do you any good. You have to use the money in order to benefit from it.

It does not matter if you learn all WC techniques, or if you learn the deadliest & most difficult technique. What is more important is you can use those techniques that you have learned.

Grendel
06-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by kj
Where the energy/force/power comes from. This is, IMHO, related and runner up to Tom Kagan's "patience."

Regards,
- Kathy Jo
Hmmm. While agree with Tom Kagan and KJ, Yuanfen's statement says it best. :D

Originally posted by Yuanfen

Most difficult?

Bong, tan and fok
and their relationships<g>

Once one masters those three, then everything else falls into place. :p

Regards,

sel
06-21-2003, 12:58 AM
i find quite a few students have a problem with relaxation. i agree with others who've said that principles are hard to instill. without them there's no point to learn techniques.

Ng Mui
06-21-2003, 05:05 AM
Footwork is the hardest to teach as well as learn.
Yet one of the most rewarding, It is good to see a student finally bring his tech. into motion.

yuanfen
06-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Learning good wing chun footwork is a journey of real treasure seeking.

Bui-Jee-D
07-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Bong sau is quite difficult to explain and teach. As many know the SLT form is filled with Qigong principles and techniques and the bong sau is a very internal application.
When I teach students, I ask them to imagine that your bong sau is like a fire hose rushing with water, your bong sau hand is not clinched or tense, your thumb tucked in, but its the rope like nature of your arms positioning that gives it strength and structure. Like a fire hose with water rushing out, its soft to the touch, but filled with solid structure, chi.
Keep the elbows down, the wrist on center, and about 105 degree bend in the elbow. If too close to your body, it collapes inward. If too far out, it can be pulled and at that point almost turns into bil sau.
The bong sau/lap da drill can clean up your bong but mostly its a feeling. When you get it right, and it feels right, you'll know it. Then its just a matter of training your muscle memory to remember the 'feel' of bong sau. Remember also, bong sau is used mostly as a transitional move to search the bridge and is not a 'hit-and-stick' technique. Once executed, it finds the bridge, then transitions into something else..lap sau, tan da, etc.

foolinthedeck
07-13-2003, 02:37 PM
everything is the most difficult to teach and explain.

because we only learn anything by doing it ourselves. there are plenty of teachers who try to teach but dont let their students learn and plenty of students who do whatever their teachers say but dont actually know it for themselves.

when you try to teach therefore, everything becomes a challenge to the student becuase you try to teach that which he is not at present presenting.

dragon lady
07-13-2003, 10:32 PM
I think that it is the hardest to teach that which was easiest for me to learn.
If a student is having trouble with a technique or concept that I also had trouble with, I have had more personal experience with the stages of learning it. If there is someone who has trouble with something that I found easier to grasp, it pushes me further to find all of the details and intracacies so I can find a place to relate from.

I guess my answer is that it depends on the teacher and the student.