PDA

View Full Version : To Shi Bok Se Teung a question

scotty1
11-04-2001, 07:00 PM
Have you trained at the Wushu institute of which you spoke in your reply to my earlier post? You say the training there is actually very good - do you know this from experience? Are you currently training yourself in China? I am currently researching the best place for my girlfriend and I to train in China and I am getting more and more confused by the day!

Sifu Bok Se Teung
11-05-2001, 11:52 PM
Yes, I have been there last year. If you know what it is, then perhaps you will not be disappointed. First, realize you will not be trained by Buddhist or Taoist Monks. Then realize it will not look like or be like any Jet Li movie. It is very commercial and you will likely see your "monk" smoking cigarette. If you are looking for training, then it is very good. They have adopted a routine that was not unlike what training at one of temples was like. You will exercise hard and learn several base sets. Unlike western thought, the temples did not teach specific animal sets. You learned base sets and training exercises that applied to all styles and then only a form or two (sometimes 3) in a style, such as Mantis Fist or Crane Boxing. This is still how you will be taught.

I travelled quite a bit in China and I understand there are now several training "temples" to choose from. The Shaolin Temple in Honan, or rather it's descendant, still exists and is near the Wu Shu Institute, but it is closed door.

May Peace Be With
You