PDA

View Full Version : Confused about first free class I got.

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 09:38 AM
I got a free lesson in Wing Tsun the other day. I liked it, and am considering signing up, but I have some serious questions. Let's see what you guys think.

I go to the gym where they hold class, apparently they rent it two nights a week. Two guys are there, they are the teachers. A father and son. I asked if there were other students, and I was told that they had called in that night. (It was a regular class night, they weren't there especialy for me) O.K... So I got my free lesson. The son was teaching while the father watched. I got the feeling he was teaching his son to teach at the same time the son was teching me to fight.

I learned about chain punches and blocking, mostly. It was quite fun. After the lesson, the son sits down with me and shows me the paperwork. Now I am thinking that this is a scam, there are no other students, they just want my money. But I was wrong. There was no contract. Just a flat 60/month fee, quit any time you feel like it. There was no pressure at all. He explained the basics, and told me to think it over and give him a call.

So what do you think? My theory is maybe there are no other (or very few) students and they didn'y want to scare me off by telling me. They seemed very genuine when I was being taught, and didn't seem at all like they were out for my money. I am tempted to join for a month because I enjoyed the class so much. Wing Tsun seems to be very effective!

MasterKiller
06-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Every school needs a first student; besides, the number of students doesn't always correlate directly with the quality of instruction.

If you liked it then go again and see if more people show up. If not, you may be getting some primo one-on-one until more people do.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a good school.
If you liked it pursue it, and if you are the only student, or only a couple of others go there, you can get much more "specialized" training....
Id say take another class or 2 at least if you enjoyed it, see what its really about.
BTW, 60/mo aint bad at all.

Shuul Vis
06-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Lots of schools are like this, and sometimes they are very good quality because of the attention you can get in smaller numbers. Ocassionally at a friend of mine's class only he and another student show up so its not uncommon for it to be that small. Did it seem like they were knowledgable? Try it for a month man youll probly like it.

red5angel
06-19-2003, 09:46 AM
It sounds fairly normal actually. most schools come and go, move around or rent space from other people. Some schools are larger or smaller. 60$ a month no long term contract is normal and the best way to go in case you decide it isn't for you.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 10:05 AM
2 people... That would be kinda cool actually... :)
There were like 5 people in whitebelt class when i started, right now theres like 20 or 22 I believe.....

Chang Style Novice
06-19-2003, 10:09 AM
$60 ain't much for a month, especially if they're not locking you into a contract. If after a month you think it's crap, at least not much time and money went into it.

I'd go for it if I was wearing your shoes.

Merryprankster
06-19-2003, 10:27 AM
BUT, whatever you do, DON'T VISIT THE WC FORUM FOR ANY REAL ANSWERS... you'll get stuck in lineage wars.

Robinf
06-19-2003, 10:35 AM
I agree that this looks like a pretty good opportunity to get some private lessons for little money (in general, private lessons can run up to $60/hr in general schools). Classes that don't have contracts generally will be small--people come and go.

shaolinboxer
06-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Good advice from all, especially merryprankster.

Go for it.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
"I'd go for it if I was wearing your shoes."

If you were wearing MK's shoes you would have a nasty case athletes foot.

Watchman
06-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Merryprankster is correct!

Liokault
06-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Every school needs a first student; besides, the number of students doesn't always correlate directly with the quality of instruction.

Infact looking at the info on Mc dojos on this forum it could be said that quality of instruction is inverse to number of students.

norther practitioner
06-19-2003, 11:03 AM
quality of instruction is inverse to number of students.

depends on the type of school.....

not a direct association, but can serve as a guage...

Merryprankster
06-19-2003, 11:04 AM
The other popular argument alternatives are:

What really happened with Boztepe and Cheung

Define Chi Sao

the proper way to do SLT

Bruce Lee was/wasn't any good

There are others, but those are mighty popular.

Black Jack
06-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Define Chi Sao.....?

The sound my chinese maid makes when we are getting our freak on.

shaolin kungfu
06-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Me thinks SD is a little defensive.

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanx for the advice. I am going to call them back to night and join up. Wing Tsun looks like an excellent martial art to learn, much better than the shotgun approach the local Shaolin-Tao school was taking. No offense to anyone!

P.S.....about getting yer freak on with a Chinese girl. I have been with alot of different women, the side effect of growning up in California. Gimme a mexican woman any day! Better not let my Irish/American Indian wife read this....

Judge Pen
06-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by RedSkaNite
Thanx for the advice. I am going to call them back to night and join up. Wing Tsun looks like an excellent martial art to learn, much better than the shotgun approach the local Shaolin-Tao school was taking. No offense to anyone!

P.S.....about getting yer freak on with a Chinese girl. I have been with alot of different women, the side effect of growning up in California. Gimme a mexican woman any day! Better not let my Irish/American Indian wife read this....

Damet. I have a chinese woman and have been with Irish and American Indian. Never Mexican! Now I think I'm missing something!

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 01:42 PM
You are, my friend. You are.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Yes.. they do get down quite nice.

As for the earlier comment-
I havent had a cig in a couple days so I am quite defensive.
Apologies.

MasterKiller
06-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Damet. I have a chinese woman and have been with Irish and American Indian. Never Mexican! Now I think I'm missing something!
For my money, Puerto Rican beats Mexican anyday. AYE PAPPI!!!

shaolin kungfu
06-19-2003, 01:49 PM
definitely gotta love puerto rican girls:D .

Chang Style Novice
06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
I love the black girls...oh so much more than the white girls...I was so pleased to learn that they're not smarter...they just give, give, give, give it to you harder...

HARDER!

HARDER!

HARDER!

(crazy free jazz breakdown)

MasterKiller
06-19-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm down with the sistahs as well. Kelly Rowland is scrum-diddli-umptios.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 01:56 PM
lol
Im not too particular about ethnicity.
As long as its not one of the reasons san antonio is #1 obese or whatever ranking we are now.

Chang Style Novice
06-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Jeez, you don't recognize Violent Femmes lyrics? What are they teaching kids in school these days anway...

Judge Pen
06-19-2003, 02:00 PM
So many women, so little time.

Of course I have to agree with SD :o ethnicity isn't important. Attitude is.

Attitude being equal the hottest women in the world are asian. Doubt me? Check out the ORA forum. Who won that contest?

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 02:04 PM
mmm.... asian wimmins..........
Attitude isnt important if your goal is A.
If your goals is the all inclusive option B, it is.

shaolin kungfu
06-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Hottest girl I ever saw in real life was latin. Hottest girl I've ever seen was asian.

Judge Pen
06-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
mmm.... asian wimmins..........
Attitude isnt important if your goal is A.
If your goals is the all inclusive option B, it is.

Whether A or B attitude is still everything, my young padawan.

SK who was the asian woman you are referrng to? Have a link (as long as it won't get this thread deleted like our yellow fever thread.)

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 02:09 PM
yeah, a girl thats a b!tch usually moans louder.
:eek:
:D

by the way.... wtf is a padawan??
lol.
padawan. sounds like barbara walters trying to call someone names.

shaolin kungfu
06-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Go to th ORA forum and look at some of the Natasha Yi pics.:D

I'm not gonna post a link, for fear of deletion.

Judge Pen
06-19-2003, 02:12 PM
SD: Not quite what I had in mind.

SK: I voted for Sung Hi Lee, but it was like splitting hairs choosing between them. Personally my girl looks just lik Zhang ZiYi.

shaolin kungfu
06-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Lucky b@stard!:D

BTW, Redskanight has posted on the wing chun forum, which means he will never again have an intelligent discussion about martial arts.:eek:

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 02:30 PM
I had no idea you were suffering from forum envy!

And as far as I am concerned the two hottest women in the world are tied. One is Milla Jovovich, and the other is Lucy Liu. Russian and Chinese. I am a regular communist.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 02:32 PM
lol
poor guy...

Judge pen- you are lucky man.
You should bring her to the tourney so we may look at the sexy asian. We are in lack of those here in texas, but we got all the latinas you can handle.
Tell ya what, you scoop me up a couple asians, and well do some sort of under the table deal for the latinas.

Im out.
SD

norther practitioner
06-19-2003, 02:35 PM
That is too funny....
BTW, Redskanight has posted on the wing chun forum, which means he will never again have an intelligent discussion about martial arts.

I'd have to say, ethnicity is nice for this whiteboy.... Dominican, these couple women I know from Belize were **** hot too.... Everywhere has there gems, overall, I like the look of northern asians, Estonian girls (put swedish bikini team + finish + russian= hotty estoinian girls).

Oh, and try them out, can't kill you, don't really know much about what else in the area could give you that chance...

Judge Pen
06-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
lol
poor guy...

Judge pen- you are lucky man.
You should bring her to the tourney so we may look at the sexy asian. We are in lack of those here in texas, but we got all the latinas you can handle.
Tell ya what, you scoop me up a couple asians, and well do some sort of under the table deal for the latinas.

Im out.
SD

She doesn't like anything to have anything to do with martial arts. Plus, I'm no Asian pimp here. I live in Tennessee. Not much other than plain white trash. My fiancée and I are both from Virginia originally. If you want to meet Asian women in this continent then move to Northern Virginia, Vancouver, or Northern California.

MasterKiller
06-20-2003, 12:08 PM
by the way.... wtf is a padawan??
troglodyte!

rubthebuddha
06-20-2003, 03:10 PM
props to csn for the femmes references, lashes to the rest of you for missing it.

"... she screamed as she fell, but i never heard her hit."

tsunami surfer
06-22-2003, 10:25 PM
very few schools do not use contracts. So you are getting a deal if they know what they are doing and dont make wild promises. Like a blackbelt in 1 or 2 years.

Serpent
06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
I love the way this dude asks for some wing chun advice and the thread ends up debating the relative attractions of a woman's ethnicity!

I love this forum!

On topic, I agree with the majority. Sounds like it's well worth 60 bucks of your money and one month of your time to decide for certain.

dezhen2001
06-22-2003, 11:27 PM
ahhh... KFO feels good to be back online :cool:
miss all the thread hijacking as it cracks me up

dawood

Laughing Cow
06-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Back on topic.

Deal sounds good and fair, I would say go for it.

Many students trained with their Sifu after they freshly arrived in a new country and there were maybe 1~3 students only for the first few years.

Just imagine they exposure those guys got to their Sifu's teachings and the relationship that developed.

Cheers.