PDA

View Full Version : The Completely Theoretical Kung Fu Discussion Thread

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi, I think that what we need around here is a Completely Theoretical Kung Fu Discussion Thread. Let us not sully the thread by referring to specific techniques, accusals of impraticality, pot, lineage wars, MMA vs. TMA, GDA's starfish references, etc. Any question or discussion point is fair game, as long as it is COMPLETELY THEORETICAL and does not make use of EXAMPLES. Extra points are awarded to posters who use an abstract vocabulary.

I'll start:

When presented with an obstruction, I find it more often practical to go around the obstruction rather than removing that obstruction. Always trying to remove said obstruction leads to chasing the other's limbs.

I feel that timing is more important than accuracy or structure. Structure is more important than accuracy.

Don't fight force with force. Instead, get off the line and emit your jing to stun the opponent. Interrupt his recovery and unbalance him. Beware of his counterattack, even the Chinese Rabbit fights fiercely when cornered.

Your turn?!

apoweyn
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
My God, fa_jing, that's beautiful. :)

Lots of people talk about the path of the warrior, my friend. But you, you walk it. There are many roads to the top of the mountain. All afford different views, but all lead to the same destination.

Stuart B.

MasterKiller
06-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Oklahoma Jackalopes would slaughter Chinese rabbits.

ZIM
06-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Thats incredibly hard to beat... but you brought practicality into the picture. How about:

I hold stance training as a paradigmatic viewpoint, representing the flow of combat in a well-structured, but controlled and safe way. They are not static 'postures' but a frozen moment in time, held with shen, jing, chi.

In geometrical processions of triangle, circle, and square, we learn the scientific attributes of....

Ok, I can't do it. Somebody else, please, pick it up....

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 12:39 PM
In order to excel at fighting, one must practice the angles of attack and the angles of defense. At times you may defend along one line, yet attack along another.

Make every part of your body into a weapon, then if your opponent thinks that he has neutralized all of your weapons, you still have one or more left.

Out think your opponent, yet be of no mind.

SaMantis
06-19-2003, 12:40 PM
In geometrical processions of triangle, circle, and square, we learn the scientific attributes of....

um, the ... practical application of the law of cause & effect, i.e. the reaction of each geometrical construct on an incoming force. In simpler terms, the ability of the martial artist to redirect or block an attack and then counterattack depending on the result.

Yeah, that. :)

SaMantis
06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
I also think this may be the most important principle for MA's to follow:

I feel that timing is more important than accuracy or structure. Structure is more important than accuracy.

An excellent, succinct breakdown of fighting.

Chang Style Novice
06-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Accuracy in what sense? In the sense of hitting the target? Nothing's more important than that, IMO. A thousand tiny drops of water may wear away the hardest stone, but if they don't drop on the stone, no dice.

chen zhen
06-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Structure and accuracy is equally important.

structure without accuracy will result in having good form, but missing your target, resulting in you being beat up.
accuracy without strucure will result in a technique with not enough power, because of bad form, resulting in you being beat up again.

so, both equally important.

ZIM
06-19-2003, 12:51 PM
We know, of course, that for a true martial artist to excel, the so-called "killer instinct" from the "reptile brain" must be sufficiently developed. This is commonly done by quiet, seated meditation, which generates and stores immense power, all to be used at a moment's notice.

To be sure, every part of the body is to be forged into the deadliest of weapons, but the delivery of the weapons are the key- the very secret- of any true martial art. In all cases, simultaneous attack and defense, with 3 or more weapons launched at any time, is the mark of a truly advanced art. But how to achieve this sublime stage of mastery? Again, quiet comtemplation is required, along with conscientious attention to the scientific principles of drill work.

Typically, 10 years or more are required to gain outward signs of competency, but working harder will, paradoxically, slow your progress. So- be patient! The power will come!

on edit: not theoretical enough, i failed :o Gotta whip out the dim mak, now... and touch myself or something

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Timing is the most important - if your blow is a day late and a dollar short, than surely you will lose the encounter. Same goes for your defensive maneuver.

Structure is more important than accuracy, because with the proper structure, your block may still be effective even if it doesn't engage the opponent at the correct point, and your punch may be effective even if it hits a point other than the one you were aiming for.

Don't dig yourself a hole that's too big to climb out of. Always look before you leap. And never put the cart before the horse.

Suntzu
06-19-2003, 01:45 PM
HULK SMASH !!!!

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 02:02 PM
BIIIIIRRRDDDD MMMMAAAANNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Royal Dragon
06-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Oklahoma Jackalopes would slaughter Chinese rabbits.

Reply]
Da.mm RIGHT!!! I have family in Oklahoma. On of my favorite things to do when we are out there, is to go "Jackalope" hunting. Lastime we were there, we almost caught one, but it literally shredded the net we were using and escaped capture!! :eek:

No way a wimpy Chinese rabbit would survive an encounter. Jackalopes are too fast, and too tough. :D

baring that, the most relevant comment was

HULK SMASH !!!!

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Hmm. Is Hulk Smash a Principle or a Technique?

Royal Dragon
06-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Both

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 02:20 PM
I feel that observing the way animals move, and experience conflict, will go along way towards expressing your body in a martial sense. Observation of the mechanics of sports practicioners, be they martial sports or otherwise, will also give you insight into the way the various parts of the body line up for the issuance of power. I think that we can safely say that you can learn alot by observing, that will make you a better fighter.

fa_jing
06-19-2003, 02:24 PM
There are two main ways to generate whipping power - part of your body may function as a whip, or, your whole body may function as a whip.

Shaolin-Do
06-19-2003, 02:27 PM
its one of the principle techniques?
P R O T O C LO WNSMASH!!!!

ZIM
06-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Just got it by email, only a little adapted-

"There are these three modes of the mind/body in Kung Fu training:

first, the being of a feeling, in itself, unattached to any subject, which is merely an atmospheric possibility, a possibility floating in vacuo, not rational yet capable of rationalization;

secondly, there is the being that consists in arbitrary brute action upon other things, not only irrational but anti-rational, since to rationalize it would be to destroy its being;

and thirdly, there is living intelligence from which all reality and all power are derived; which is rational necessity and necessitation.

A feeling is what it is, positively, regardless of anything else.

Its being is in it alone, and it is a mere potentiality. A brute force,
as, for example, a fist, on the other hand, is nothing for itself; whatever it is, it is for what it is attracting and what it is repelling: its being is actual, consists in action, is dyadic.

That is what I call Kung Fu. It has its being in bringing other things into connexion with each other; its essence is to compose: it is triadic, and it alone has a real power."

oh mercy me

red5angel
06-19-2003, 03:26 PM

but structure can sometimes be the root of good timing.

yenhoi
06-19-2003, 04:53 PM
strike!

:eek:

Serpent
06-19-2003, 05:41 PM
What's a jackalope?

jmd161
06-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
What's a jackalope?

http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/loopy.jpg

a jackrabbit with horns.

jeff:)

Serpent
06-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Too funny. It's up there with the saskwatch and the goat sucker!

See here. (http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/jackalope.html)

:D

No_Know
06-19-2003, 09:28 PM
One is only-ish limited by one's imagination.

Xebsball
06-19-2003, 09:30 PM
No_Know is my hero

fa_jing
06-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Speaking of shapes, they say that when you are a beginner, your move in big circles, when you are intermediate level, you move in medium circles, when you are advanced, you move in small circles, and when you are expert, you move in no circles, that is to say a circle of 0 radius. I think that's some fine wisdom.

shadow
06-20-2003, 11:25 AM
A wise kung fu master once said " Its better to know the distance between you and your opponents than to know a 100 ways to strike them". Don't forget about distance. Also you should give heavy consideration footwork. You could have enough power to knock out a charging elephant' But you must first be in a position to hit him.

MasterKiller
06-20-2003, 11:28 AM
You all need to unlearn what you have learned.

ZIM
06-20-2003, 12:17 PM
You all need to unlearn what you have learned. And forget all of this great wisdom?

Former castleva
06-20-2003, 12:51 PM
The early worm catches the bird.

Fortune cookie quotes will leave you cold.

No_Know
06-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Former castleva" The early worm catches the bird.

Fortune cookie quotes will leave you cold."

The bird does not exist.

Quotes might be cold.

I only have my thoughts.

They keep me warm.

This must be Cold...I think.

Former castleva
06-20-2003, 02:08 PM
There is evidence of birds,thanks to dinosaurs we have plenty of birds.

Iīm not sure if I understand right,

but I can see how thoughts will keep you warm,

also I can see,why you do feel (I assume)

that this realization leaves one cold.

:cool:

Christopher M
06-20-2003, 02:17 PM
My thoughts must be birds, quotes.

"I think" does not exist.

I only have this me.

Cold?

Be the warm they might keep cold.

No_Know
06-21-2003, 09:08 AM
"The bird does not exist."

Humorous from the turned phrase of the worm catches the early bird. The worm is delusional. Making unnecessary efforts.

"Quotes might be cold."

quote~facts--objective without Pity, Remorse, Guilt, Anger, Joy...

"I only have my thoughts."

Seting up for the next lines (ending~). Also, that all that matters is our memories, our only truest posessions (our thoughts and recollections).

"They keep me warm."

There was a phrase of have warm thoughts. Merely use of a popular phrase relating to thought.

"This must be Cold...I think."

I mention warm thoughts and yet am being aware of cold. If I am thinking and thoughts keep me warm and am cold--catch-22.

I am thinking but there are no thoughts. And so the cold. But if I could feel, then I would know what I was feeling which indicates thoughts. To not address thought but still experience, therefore the Awareness of cold and Not the Feeling of cold.

Hopefully, it was worded in a way to allow thought...provoke thought/thinking.

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Sorry,canīt follow very well.

No_Know
06-21-2003, 09:50 AM
"The early worm catches the bird.

Fortune cookie quotes will leave you cold."

I think you put this.

I had heard that the early bird catches the worm.

Perhaps what I wrote does not make sense and you should not worry about not following very well what I write. I'm sure you do excellently with following English.