PDA

View Full Version : the super hard heavy bag

jun_erh
06-19-2003, 12:26 PM
does any one else have one of these at their gym? I've been really into it lately, just going for it barehand. I tried to find one online but couldn't. Are they commonplace? hard as a fricken rock

Ish
06-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Im not sure of the exact one you're talkin about but you can make any bag harder by filling it more

Royal Dragon
06-22-2003, 05:06 PM
I don't have a super hard opne, but I do have one filled with metal saw dust form an industrial band saw that weighs in at just over 500 pounds. Does that help?

David Jamieson
06-22-2003, 07:47 PM
The heavy duty heavy bags are good because they swing less and absorb (and kick back) more of your strikes.

They also allow you to feel a higher level of contact and energy dispersal.
About the same force you would use to break for example.

cheers

Royal Dragon
06-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Mine is softer than I expected. It's got more give than say a sand filed bag. BUT, it's really heavy because it's filled with metal saw dust form my old job, so it takes real power to even move it. It's great to test your structure and alignment. If it ain't near perfect, the bag don't move at all.

I also have a cloth filled Everlast bag that's about 80 pounds. I use that one for hands, and the heavy one for feet.

David Jamieson
06-23-2003, 09:45 AM
rd-

If he's talking about the bag i think he's talking about, it is approximately 5 feet long, hangs from the ceiling and weighs in around 300 pounds and is very dense.

The kind you have (80lbs), is the sort that you want to not move but fold when you punch.
It serves as a good kickbag too.

I got used to using the super heavy bag in around 1980 forward, but while at my previous Kungfu school (1994-2001) used mostly focus mitts for kicking, air-shields and one of those stand up water heavy bags, weighing in around 240 on the pedestal when filled with water. It had a bit of give to it, but was pretty good so long as you didn't drive your shin kicks through to hard which would tip the bag I found.

Sheilds are the most fun to work with, because you can judge power by how far the holder travels when you hit them :D

cheers

jun_erh
06-23-2003, 11:16 AM
When you get towards the bottom it gets real dense. I haven't tried kicks on it yet. It's improved my left (opposite) hand punch quite a bit.