PDA

View Full Version : Encounter of the Others

PaulH
06-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Sometimes it is a very traumatic thing to encounter other beings. I remembered the first time my mother abandonned me at the kindergarden. There was this big fat little kid who ran to me and snatched a little plastic toy promptly out of my hands. To this day I can't seem to forget his gloating expression over my shock.

Anyway, I was training close to a year with a SiFu who kept telling me that how lucky I was to bump into him and that he will teach me proper structure and chisau, etc...until one day I encountered my current Sihing. He touched my hands gently and proceeded to flatten me rather neatly like a freight liner. That was my first taste of forward pressure. Ever since that day I move on with my life learning about more wonderful new toys, but that first impression remains the most memorable moment. How about you? What's your story?

Regards,

Phenix
06-19-2003, 03:24 PM
have a dream that if one is like a silk floating in the air and response flow like water. Then, no longer need to worry about win or lost or what to do next. Nature take good care of oneself. One might not always win but nature protect oneself to be safe....

I got a peacefull dream while watching Bullet prof monk.

It is about grace not about power
It is about harmony not about anger
It is about flow of nature not about the forward pressing force......

yuanfen
06-19-2003, 03:27 PM
This I heard- everyone has a story!

ntc
06-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Mine is very simple..... every day, the more I understand about WC and how much it has impacted me any my life, the more grateful that it is my art of choice and the fortune I had to have Ho Kam Ming as my teacher.

Ernie
06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
first impression,
I was working out in a resort gym away from home on a work function. one of the guys from another branch , very small 5''6' or so about 35 years old maybe 150 pounds asked if I could help him with his training . he asked me to through a few punches and kicks at him and he very gently and methodically shut me down. as this was going on another person from our group '' big 6''4' and around 240 '' said that $hit don't work and took a swing at the first gentle man with a weight belt . what happened next burned in my mind . in what I swear a blink of an eye the little like some crazed cat went around the big guy kicked his leg out and stopped a chop about a inch from his throat.
the amazing thing is the little guy was shaking and felt so bad about it . we all needed up friends later but I asked him what the hell was that. he said he had 12 years of wing chun and 6 years of kali . he explained he used kali to close the gap and wing chun once contact was made .
I have never forgotten him but have never again been able to locate him to thank him.

[Censored]
06-19-2003, 05:57 PM
I was hoping for a "Chi Sao with aliens" thread, and after clicking on this I am very disappointed.

anerlich
06-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Royce in UFC1.

Rickson in Choke.

Sakuraba vs Carlos Newton in Pride.

Seeing Morio Higaonna kick a hole in a 44 gallon drum with his bare foot.

Sihing73
06-20-2003, 05:12 AM
Hello,

I am hoping that this thread is about how we got started on Wing Chun, if not it just goes to show how too many hits to the head can affect your judgement :p

I was about 16 or so and working at a local company. I had a Black Belt in Judo and was competing and doing pretty good at it. I was dating this Chinese girl and her brother worked with us. He did not like me dating his sister because I was white. Anyhow, I kept bugging him about trying to spar because he was from Hong Kong and I thought he knew Kung Fu. To make a long story short he finally relented and put me on the ground several times. I asked him what he was using and he told me "Wing Chun"! I asked him to teach me and he said NO!. After buying everything I could find on Wing Chun I finally got him to teach me the first form before he and his family moved back to Hong Kong. He had quite an impact on my view of the martial arts and I will always be grateful for his introduction to Wing Chun. I begin my official Wing Chun journey a few years later in Seattle.

I do have one gripe about the system though: In Judo you needed a partner and I thought that I could get away without a partner in Wing Chun. The system tricked me and sucked me in before I knew it was too late :)

Peace,

Dave

PaulH
06-20-2003, 11:27 PM
Okay, my thanks to all the interesting stories so far. It's still not too late to subscribe your stories to this alien thread.

Joy, your terse comment reminds me most poignantly of my favorite childhood prank.

Censored, that is a truly a tragic story, though I hope you find some comedic relief from your disappointment. Comedy = Tragedy + Time.

Phenix, everything you said I find it in a lullaby. Appreciate sincerely your warm advice.

Anerlich, your grappling interests really shine here. Impression of a well-done choke tend to linger most disturbingly with anyone with a brain.

Ernie, NTC and Sihing78: Absense makes the heart grows fonder. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories.

Good night.