PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block.

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Hi guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am starting Wing Tsun classes. Tonight if I can get ahold of them, or Tuesday if I can't =). I have never been involved with any type of martial art before, and I did a WHOLE lot of research before picking this one. I am sure you will be seeing alot of me. These forumns were a entremelt helpful guide in my decision. See you guys around!

AndrewS
06-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Have fun with Michael and Tommy- they're good folks, and have a lot to share.

Later,

Andrew

old jong
06-19-2003, 02:23 PM
You were warned in the general forum!...;)
Now for a list of lineages that suck.........

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Actually I need to learn about that stuff.I know absolutley nothing about Wing Tsun history. Heck I hardly know anything about any martial art history. I am gonna do some homework.

WCis4me
06-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Welcome to Wing Chun Red!

Regards,
Vicky

rubthebuddha
06-19-2003, 03:59 PM
andrew -- i think he signed up with kurk and ayron, but i could be mistaken.

pseudoswitch
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
you don't need to know any Wing Chun history to use it. Save your time and use it to train.

RedSkaNite
06-19-2003, 04:43 PM
You are exactly right, Kurk and Ayron. You guys all know eachother?

Grendel
06-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by RedSkaNite
Actually I need to learn about that stuff.I know absolutley nothing about Wing Tsun history. Heck I hardly know anything about any martial art history. I am gonna do some homework.
Don't do homework. Ask your teachers and just accept their historical viewpoints, then train hard and pretend history doesn't matter, because if you find that history doesn't match the marketing, and you cling to his story, it becomes a cult and you a pawn. Better to admit ignorance than support a falsehood.

I am not referring specifically to your teachers, who for all I know may have the unvarnished truth, just like mine does. :D

Regards,

Sihing73
06-20-2003, 05:16 AM
Hello,

Good luck on your Wing Chun/Wing Tsun journey.

History is good to know but I think that it is more important to be able to understand and apply the art. I have found that no one has a monopoly on the truth and sometimes it can be viewed from different angles. It is doubtful that everyone will ever agree on the true history of Wing Chun/Tsun. Still, it is beneficial to have an idea of where your art stems from. Just don't get to caught up in the small details. If you are learning and happy where you are training then that, to me, is the most important thing, provided you can apply what you learn ;)

Peace,

Dave

AndrewS
06-20-2003, 08:45 AM
D'oh!

yeah, it's Kurk and Ayron- I caught the post on the main board.

Cool, have fun.

A couple of my bros teach cross-town under EBMAS- Tommy and Michael- and I thought it was them.

I haven't worked with either Kurk or Ayron more than once for a few minutes, and that was years ago. Have fun, and enjoy what you're doing. If you want to check out a different take on WT, catch up with Michael and Tommy.

Andrew

rubthebuddha
06-20-2003, 03:28 PM
redskanite -- i'm part of the same org as kurk and ayron, just in the opposite corner of the country.

good luck with your new training. :)