PDA

View Full Version : Lyn Wan Kuen

tomcat
11-08-2001, 04:08 AM
Do any of you Shaolin guys know the form? Or any history of this set? What level is it generaly taught? We teach it as our first set, but our system uses forms from several kung fu styles in the early stages of training ,before going into Hung-Gar. Also some CLF schools do a form called Lyn Wan, is this the same set or differant?

tomcat

GeneChing
11-08-2001, 11:54 PM
I've always translated it as "continuation." It is usually the 2nd to last form you learn of the ten handsets and is notable for it's one-handed cartwheel to splits (one of our more practical fighting techniques ;) )

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Five Swords
11-09-2001, 03:49 AM
Hello Tomcat,
I hope you are doing well. The Lin Wan Kuen form you are inquiring about is actually a Southern Shaolin form usually translated as "the continuous and returning fist." It is a beginner level form. I am not familiar with the Choy Li Fut version of this form so I can't help you with that. I hope this helps you somewhat. Keep in touch!

Kung Lek
11-09-2001, 07:28 PM
Gene, I thought Sik Fot had the one handed cartwheel to splits.
But I haven't gotten that far into the Northern curriculum yet.Form 9 has it too?

As for Lin Wan kuen, I have seen this entire form layed out in a book by Leo Fong who is a CLF Kung fu practitioner and teacher.
He published the form in a book called Sil Lum Kung Fu. Circa 1971 or around there.

Look up Leo Fong at Amazon, and look for the book, it has the whole set mapped out in it.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

GeneChing
11-12-2001, 01:57 AM
10 has the deep knee bend opening. Cartwheel to splits is in 9. I popped my hip out on that move over a decade ago...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

tomcat
12-11-2001, 07:52 PM
Hey guy's,
5 swords sent me a copy of Leo's book, and I must say I was not impressed, while it appears to be the same set that we practice,he seems to have left out much of the foot work,which in most instances is just a simple step from horse to bow and back again. By leaving his feet in horse when he should shift to bow he eliminates the power of the waist in his techniques!!
Then he shows 5 or 6 techniques ,and where he found them in this form is beyond my immagination.
The book states that he has studied several other arts,maybe he did this book early in his kung-fu training.
I also recieved a combat Video on the set that 5 Swords made some years ago,unfortunatly my VCr went on the blink and I have not got to watch it yet,but if it's anything like his Lau Gar fist combat video it should be awsome! His Lau Gar tape has the best and most extensive technique section that I have seen to date on any video. He specializes in Bei shaolin and N. mantis these days,so if anyone wants to expand on techniques in one of these arts look him up I guarantee you won't be disapointed!

buddhapalm
12-11-2001, 10:55 PM
Hi TomCat,
In my system we have two southern (Fut Gar ?) forms. Lin Wan Kuen and Mang Fu Ha San ( Feirce Tiger Descends Mountain). The form in the Leo Fong book is similar to mine, but as you said, he doesnt twist into a half horse much. Also at the end we have about 15 moves extra.

I am trying to trace where our system got this set from. It seems this set came from Leung Tien Chu a famous Fut Gar master in the early part of the century. I do not know if he created the form, or if he learned it as a pure Southern Shaolin Fut Gar form, or if he borrowed the form from another system. Leung Tien Chu was Leo Fongs grandmaster.

May I ask what your school says about Lin Wan Kuen, and under what style is it described as ?

Thanks

Buddhapalm

buddhapalm
12-13-2001, 10:47 AM
Hi Tomcat,
I could not find any information on your profile, maybe the site is having trouble. Could you provide me your e-mail, I would like to discuss Lyn Wan Kuen with you. I have some potential history of my version, but am curious about yours, since I am researching the roots of my system/s.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

tomcat
12-13-2001, 07:19 PM
hi Buddapalm,
I don't know why my e-mail is blocked on the profile,probably just a bug in the move. It's catsmeow@rof.net
In our system I have been told it is Southern Shaolin, Choy la Fut also has a lyn wan set that I have heard is very similar,but I have not seen it so I can't say for sure. Maybe theirs is linked to your lineage . Wasn't one of the guys who formed Choy la Fut a Fut -Gar master?
In our system we learn some Shaolin ,Mantis,and Snake,before going on to Hung-Gar . I belierve our founder learned this set in Taiwan but I don't know from whom. I am going to visit and train with him this summer and hope to get many questions answered at that time.
Well I've gotta run ,take care and E-mail me anytime.

Kempo
12-16-2001, 11:01 PM
This form (the continuous and returning fist) was one of the few kung fu forms taught by Professor Cerio in his kenpo curriculum. Prof. Cerio's Sil Lum instructor was Gan Fong Chin. :)

buddhapalm
12-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Hi Kempo,
I was wondering. Was the form Lin Wan Kuen you learnt the same as in the book "Sil Lum Kung Fu" by Leo Fong ?

Also, who is Gan Fong Chin ? Can you tell us anything about him.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

Kempo
12-18-2001, 01:15 AM
Our version (which i am still learning) is similar but not the same. The beginning of ours (salutation) is much shorter then the one shown in the book by Leo Fong. As I learn more of the form and finish it i'll be able to expalin the differences better.

During the mid 70's, it was a common practice for Professor Cerio to visit the local Chinese restaurant after training and teaching was over for the day. It was in this unlikeliest of places that Professor Cerio would meet one of his most respected and most feared teachers. His name was Gan Fong Chin, master of the Sil Lum Kung Fu system. Not much is known about this teacher, other than his technique, speed and power were said to be phenomenal. Professor Cerio, after training long and hard with Master Chin, would be bestowed his Hachidan (8th Dan) and title of Sifu in August 1973. After this honor, Professor Cerio started wearing his white and red paneled belt. He would alternate between wearing this belt and the one bestowed on him by Professor Chow earlier.

This came from the Nick Cerio's website and was written by Shihan John James. I personally know nothing else about Gan Fong Chin. If anyone else has information on this master i would love to hear it.
:)

buddhapalm
12-18-2001, 06:45 AM
Cool,

I would love to hear more about your version after you learn it. Maybe it is the same as mine.

Does your system also teach "Mang Fu Ha San" or Ferocious Tiger Descends Mountain ?

Buddhapalm

teleka@pacbell.net

Xebsball
12-19-2001, 10:38 PM
Hey yo, check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/~wahnam/ans-sp/form.html

Read info on Lin Wan Kuen on the first answer.