PDA

View Full Version : The Healing Art of BJJ

ZIM
06-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Who knew? BJJ is the most complete of the Traditional Chinese Healing Arts. And it was never meant to be a fighting system at all!

Here's some info to get you started!

In this picture (http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/techniques/aranha_omplata/aranhaomoplata1.jpg) the man in white is stimulating his liver meridian. (http://www.iama.edu/Graphics/Meridians/Meridian_LIV.htm) Now, some might have some doubts about that, but that's becoz you haven't been exposed to the secret heuvos breathing techniques of BJJ- but Royce said he'd choke me out if I told you.

So bug MP about that.

In this one (http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/techniques/submission/1.jpg) both the lung (http://www.iama.edu/Graphics/Meridians/Meridian_LU.htm) and the heart (http://www.iama.edu/Graphics/Meridians/Meridian_HT.htm) is being stimulated by the man in the superior position, through the aid of his 'helper', as we say in the BJJ health field.

My question is this one. (http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/techniques/valetudo/2.jpg) Which acupoint is he acu-beating? MP???

I'd like to tell you more about this fascinating portion of this art, but Royce is coming...*uk*

hey i'm using the forum. chill ;)

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 03:37 AM
heh-heh, chill out brudda:cool:
So, they actually help people breath better by choking them out. That sounds like a revolutionary idea.:p

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 09:32 AM
I just called Royce and he said it is quackery and he is not affliated with it.

;)

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Well, royce is a quack, so.. he might be lying to you;)

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Oh yeah,who knows.

He tried to sell me something but I was like "cut it".
;)

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Hopefully not one of those spandex suits.:eek:

ZIM
06-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Now, hold on a second.

If I was doing all the same stuff with "Northern Sloth Style", ppl would be lapping it up like it was the sweetest ice cream. I'd be getting book deals thru the emails. It'd be....:

"...a Tour de Force!"..."
-IKF Mag.

"...A Must Read!..."
-Black Belt

"...."Finally! The Secrets of BJJ, Revealed here for the first time!..."
-Some Idiot

So, whats wrong here? I'm sure that BJJers have very practical basic medical knowledge, geared towards their needs [like, how to deal with dislocations, bruises, cauliflower ear, etc.] but it probably never gets into theoretical stuff.

What happened to bonesetting, for instance, in Traditional Kung Fu? How come an average KF TCM guy is NOT like a good corner-man in Boxing?

Anyhow, it'd just be funny if BJJ had a sudden influx of health freaks. They'd be choked out, en masse.

Hey, There's a book deal just waiting for you all..;)

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 09:51 AM
Every art should have medical elements, actually. It's martial arts, people get hurt, so you've gotta be able to heal, as well as hurt. All CMA styles used to have this at least 50 years ago, not all have today, I dont know what have happened.:(

ZIM
06-21-2003, 09:56 AM
I think part of what happened was "my art is too deadly to spar with", then fascination with chinese obscurities. Those obscurities are only part of the whole- needed for completeness in tradition, but only obliquely.

Then marketing took over.

And mea culpa as well, but I'm trying to improve, not stay in the swamp.

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 10:31 AM
I think healing goes "so far" in martial arts.
I think it´s a good addition to art or two but if you´re really to it,you´d need to attend medical school for it.

You can learn to press pressure points to,possibly,relieve some kinds of pain and use a herb or two,set a bone (if it was that simple) etc.

I think the cold reality is that many techniques would take one out cold and straight to ER,and traditional healing methods would fly out of the window.

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 10:34 AM
mm, maybe you're right.

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah...

I think it´s good if you get "road rash" from throwing in your dojo or something like that perhaps but limited.

I think the best they can (should) set up,like say in judo or BJJ dojo´s as an example is revival techniques and first-aid relating to dangerous choke-holds etc.

ZIM
06-21-2003, 01:25 PM
I disagree.

Historically, most TCM doctors were MAs and the vice versa as well. They were THE ones to go to in those days, for anything- but especially for traumatic injuries like knockouts, broken bones, dislocations, seizures, etc.

Sometimes, I get the suspicion that we've been sorely mislead. The heart 'line' for instance *might* be the actual path for re-setting a bone..."here's where you hold one end, here's where you tug the other. Watch for the heart rate to make sure you got it right."

[seriously- look at the heart line (http://www.iama.edu/Graphics/Meridians/Meridian_HT.htm) once again. I can picture it- hold at the elbow, tug at the pinky. It *might* be for an outside fracture of the wrist- thats a common enough kind of injury in our arts.]

But we don't know. Somebody might. I think that, while much of it is probably common to western medicine as well, there is also some spin and some real knowledge being lost. Why aren't we worried about that? Why are we satisfied with dit da jow for everything? To me, hearing ad nauseam about dit da jow is like Peggy Hill's neighbor saying, "it needs nutmeg".

And, given that its a real-world, reproducible, falsifiable kind of knowledge, I think FC might be dissappointed to see it go extinct without testing it. ;)

Seriously: if someone wrote a book on this, would you be interested in it?

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 01:44 PM
"Historically, most TCM doctors were MAs and the vice versa as well. They were THE ones to go to in those days, for anything- but especially for traumatic injuries like knockouts, broken bones, dislocations, seizures, etc. "

I think this is,part,irrelevant.

Those doctors were the best they had,I think we agree there.
What results is that you will get the same treatment and methods,poor them says me.
Historically speaking,I do not know what they thought about seizures as an example,it is not THAT long ago when you could be said to be possessed by a demon and some people still do believe so I´m afraid.

"But we don't know. Somebody might. I think that, while much of it is probably common to western medicine as well, there is also some spin and some real knowledge being lost. Why aren't we worried about that? Why are we satisfied with dit da jow for everything? To me, hearing ad nauseam about dit da jow is like Peggy Hill's neighbor saying, "it needs nutmeg". "

What?
Now you kicked me off the sled again.

"Seriously: if someone wrote a book on this, would you be interested in it?"

I´m afraid I might not be able to purchase it.

:o

ZIM
06-21-2003, 01:50 PM
What? Now you kicked me off the sled again.
Its a joke. Scene from "king of the hill". Peggy was asking for cooking advice from a Laotian neighbor, and she just kept saying 'it needs nutmeg'... Peggy, of course, was eating it up. :p

I'm hinting that, if dit da jow is the sum of knowledge on bonesetting and other trauma, then they really didn't know that much. I don't believe that myself, but as it stands, i can't prove it.

Maybe Gene could shed light on this aspect of TCM? Point towards sources?