PDA

View Full Version : terminology questions please :)

5thBrother
06-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Hi. all.

anyone please tell me these words in cantonese please. as you know sometimes "martial art words" are different to the normal everyday language ..

anyways if u can hlp. thank you

1. hard
2. soft
3. hard tense power
4. soft relaxed power
5. song (mandarin) = ? (cantonese) .. as in loose, relaxed etc
6. strong
7. weak
8. circle
9. circular
10. push
11. pull

thank you..

i shall annoy you with more later :)

take care

5thBro

Fu-Pow
06-23-2003, 09:51 AM
www.chinalanguage.com

David Jamieson
06-24-2003, 01:48 PM
well, there is a lot of differences in cantonese dialects, especially in how they are romanized into spelling!

People in Hong Kong for instance speak a dialect of Cantonese, but it doesn't sound the same as the Cantonese of Guandong province, which doesn't sound the same as...well you get the inference. Each district has it's own way of saying things.

Why is it important to know these words anyway? Aren't the concepts more valuable than trying to badly mimic a language that isn't your own.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but if someone starts using a language that is not their own, that's were a lot of problems with understanding come in.

No need to make something that is difficult to begin with even more cryptic with a foreign tongue. I am speaking from teh perspective of trying to use a language that is not your own to teach a concept to someone who also is not of the language.

If you have someone who is Chinese speaking, they will have the difficulty in relaying teh concept in english, but at least they know the chinese and can also show you in a tactile method.

If you don't know Chinese, just stick to showing and saying what it is from a perspective that is intelligible to both, you, the person who is passing on the info and to the learner, the person who is receiving the info.

cheers