PDA

View Full Version : Holy Harry Potter!!!

Royal Dragon
06-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Worked security at a book store tonight. Terri had an animal show there.

Ohhhh Myyy GOOOOOOD!!!!! It was a frik'n MAD HOUSE. We were in a small mall in Oak Park. They decked the block out like the Alley in the movie "Harry Potter". By 9:00 PM , it was so packed I though there was a risk of mass trampling. Tempers were flairing, Fights were breaking out because noone could move, Kid's were getting seperated form their parents, and the cops were threatening to close the whole affair. They actually turned away people for quite some time. I had my daughter with me, and I restricted her to the back of the book store I was working. Terri also got off the street for about an hour and only showed her animals inside.

I tell you guys, I have never seen a crowd THIS wild before. People were actually paniking to get out of the crowd for fear of being squished. I saw real fear on some faces.

I have to hand it to the Oak Park Police though, they had it thinned down to a crowded, but safe level in about an hour. There is no way they could have expected this kind of a turnout. It was enormous. They were totally un prepared for the mass of bodies that showed. To be honest, I though it weird Terri asked me to work security for her. She's never done that for a show before.

Seriously, what's with this Harry Potter movie anyway? Half the people there were dressed as charecters from the movie. The other half had Shirts with the Hogwarts acadamy on them. It was totally bizzar!! They even played a full sized game of Chess, with live people as the playing peices. They had a fullsized life size Chess board painted out in the street for this. Totally wacked.

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 03:23 AM
Harry Potter is the human incarnation of Satan.

:cool:

Becca
06-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Some how, every Yuppy in America has discided to latch on to the latest trend (being Harry Potter). And you know Yuppies, they over do everything. I f the in thing was to wear a bathing suit to the opra, they would likely try to go naked, just to prove they were more "hip" than their neibors.:rolleyes:

jon
06-21-2003, 06:54 AM
The truth about Harry Potter.

I refused to watch the movie for a *long* time and im still yet to read the book.

Then one day i found the dvd and decided to take a gamble and buy it. About half way though dispite telling myself it was going to be a load of crap i suddenly came to a realisation. I was *really* enjoying it. I was tired and had had a bad day and was not in the mood for anything to deep and HP fit the bill perfectly. I sat down afterwards and tried to think why i had enjoyed the film so much. The acting certainly wasnt great and HP himself i actively wanted to punch. The script was annoying in many ways and the whole movie had a wierd kind of cheap feel.
Finaly it dawned on me why i really enjoyed this film and its the same reason why i always laugh when i see adults complain about it.
Its a perfect kids film, it appeals to just about every kid under the sun and the idea of suddenly finding out your a wizard and your whole life is about to turn around when your nothing but a regular nerd must be ammazingly endearing to many a young kid.

Sure its not a fantastic film but god darn for kids its about the best ive yet seen done.
Some of my favorite movies still include such films as:
The Goonies
Labarynith
The Princess Bride

HP is the kind of film which todays kids will look back on with fond memorys.

So yeah theres my pointless rant about HP.

BTW RD
You worked security in a book store
I worked the door at a girls 16 birthday party in Blacktown which is one of the worst parts of Sydney. There has also been two people killed in a fourtnight in that area from gatecrashing.

Your night was full of mayhem
My night was full of 15yo girls (plus some really dumb guys)getting drunk and screaming.
Go figure:D

Xebsball
06-21-2003, 07:17 AM
I'd like to personally torture the person who wrote this book and that kid that plays Harry Potter on the movie

Royal Dragon
06-21-2003, 07:17 AM
LOL!!, we must have had full moons or some thing.

The coool thing, we had a HArry Potter look alike in front of the store. For $4 you could get a pic of you and him. As soon as Terri came out with the big snake (12 foot albino burmese Python) we got mobed wiht people, adn he was standing by himself. :D

I had to literally open my arms, and drive the crowd back on several occasions so Terri wasn't squashed wile she was trying to show.

All in all though, no deaths or anything, but alot of lost little kids as they got pulled from thier parents in the crowds.

Drunk 15 year old girls you say? wow, that brings back memories of nutity and mayhem from my teenaged years :eek:

chen zhen
06-21-2003, 07:22 AM
There used to be a harry potter look-alike in my high-school.:eek:

Royal Dragon
06-21-2003, 07:28 AM
LOL!!, we must have had full moons or some thing.

The coool thing, we had a HArry Potter look alike in front of the store. For $4 you could get a pic of you and him. As soon as Terri came out with the big snake (12 foot albino burmese Python) we got mobed wiht people, adn he was standing by himself. :D

I had to literally open my arms, and drive the crowd back on several occasions so Terri wasn't squashed wile she was trying to show.

All in all though, no deaths or anything, but alot of lost little kids as they got pulled from thier parents in the crowds.

Drunk 15 year old girls you say? wow, that brings back memories of nutity and mayhem from my teenaged years :eek:

Royal Dragon
06-21-2003, 07:51 AM
LOL, my Ex wife just told me she saw us on TV last night :eek: :p