PDA

View Full Version : FROZEN RATS IN MY Fridge!!

Royal Dragon
06-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok, Terri, being in the reptile - animal show biz, keeps several large snakes in our house. Infact, one of them was in the show I helped her with last night. Anyway, I wake up this morning, and stumble to the fridge for my morning apples, and some Pineapple for breakfast. What do I find? A bag of "Jumbo" frozen rats thawing in the fridge. It was a horrifing site, there they were dead, frozen, and starrng at me as if they were last nights dinner wondering if it was time to be eaten yet. I of course, being this big powerful martial arts exponent of 14 years experiance, screammed like a little girl :eek:

Terri, comes running to see whats wrong with me, and sees the fridge door open, nonsclontly moves the rats over, grabs an apple and askes "What wrong hun?", as she takes a big bite of the apple she just grabbed. All I could say was, "uhhh, I was going to get an apple and"

She proceeds to cut me off and move the rats, grab an apple and toss it to me with this perplexed look on her face like I'm nutts or something, saying some thing like "what? is that all? there's apples under the rats", still not realising I was freaking about there being 12 dead, frozen "Jumbo" sized Rats thawing in my fridge (Yes, the bag says "12 Jumbo sized Rats" in big black letters on a white label).

Seriously, who does that? I mean, it's the FRIDGE for God
Sake!! I talked to her about it right after, and she's like "But they are in a plastic bag hun, what's the big deal, I'm not feeding them to you, am I?" My response was :rolleyes: I mean, what else could I say? Where did she get them from, like that anyway? What store sells Jumbo sized frozen rats packed by the dozen anyway? It's completely weird!!!

Any thoughts guys?

ZIM
06-21-2003, 01:32 PM
You get them from pet stores and distributors. You can get blocks of pinkies, too. Snakes have to eat, too. Whats the big deal??

Former castleva
06-21-2003, 01:32 PM
I can only say that I have respect forherpetoculture but keeping fluffy rodents myself,I find the idea of feeding them (to- ) difficult.

Royal Dragon
06-21-2003, 01:49 PM
See, normally, she gets them live, and just drops them in the cages. I don't see them in the fridge, but I guess she got a good deal on frozen ones or something. The big show snakes get rabbits dropped live into thier cages. To me it's horrifing to watch, but Terri, and my daughter seem to think nothing of it whatsoever.

I have on occasion opened the freazer to find frozen turtles or small lizards in there, becasue they died in the cages, and Terri stores them so she can have them autopsied, but I have never opened the fridge and seen a dozen overgrown rats sitting on top of my apple bowl before. I'm traumatised for life I tell Ya!!

KC Elbows
06-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Nearly all of my siblings attended medical school or vetinary school in some form or another. Growing up, there might be rats, cats, or dogs in the freezer, sometimes in both freezers. I can relate to your plight. So, were they good?:D

Royal Dragon
06-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm not sure. the hamburgers she grilled for me were good, and several of the rats are now missing. I'm sure that's not significant though :confused: :p

SifuAbel
06-21-2003, 03:29 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

ratcicles

Chang Style Novice
06-22-2003, 07:42 AM
I'd be more upset if there were unfrozen rats in my freezer. Repairs are expensive!

ewallace
06-22-2003, 08:11 AM
Quit crying and enjoy the protein. :)

Royal Dragon
06-22-2003, 08:17 AM
LoL!!

Volcano Admim
06-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Well, american freeze banana on refrigerator to play with penetration self game

SevenStar
06-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Rodents like possum and rat are full of protein, and taste better than other things, like rabbit, IMO. Next time, don't complain, just eat up.

Becca
06-22-2003, 12:39 PM
7*- you have eaten rat before?:confused: :D

joedoe
06-22-2003, 04:16 PM
RD is a big girl. :D

Royal Dragon
06-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Gee, thanks. I supse you have rats in your fridge every night ehy? ;)

joedoe
06-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Gee, thanks. I supse you have rats in your fridge every night ehy? ;)

No, but you are still a big girl :D

Royal Dragon
06-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Lol!, You may be right. But still, THEYRE RATSSS!!! on my FOOOOOOD!!!:eek:

Laughing Cow
06-22-2003, 05:42 PM
RD.

Stop being so squeamish.

But if you are paranoid I would start checking the burgers for pieces of Rat's tail and whiskers.

:D

Hold on didn't you ask your wife to cook you some good Chinese dishes??

Cheers.

Becca
06-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Lol!, You may be right. But still, THEYRE RATSSS!!! on my FOOOOOOD!!!:eek:

Yah, but the dead ones don't eat much. :confused:

Royal Dragon
06-22-2003, 08:49 PM
So you guys are taking Terri's side in all this?

Jeeeshh, thanks alot. :(

:)

joedoe
06-22-2003, 08:56 PM
You might have been fine if you had said you expressed righteous indignation at having dead rodents stored alongside your food. But as you mentioned that you screamed like a baby I lost all respect for you :D

tsunami surfer
06-22-2003, 09:54 PM
I once found a hand in a freezer while helping to inventory a meth lab . :eek:

joedoe
06-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by tsunami surfer
I once found a hand in a freezer while helping to inventory a meth lab . :eek:

Sound like an interesting story. Care to elaborate?

tsunami surfer
06-22-2003, 10:08 PM
It wa s asouvenier from a murder committed awhile back. It was a serious biker we were taking down. Areal life Rasputin or Blackbeard.One scary 100% BADASS. One of the few times I kept my finger on a trigger when I had no target.

joedoe
06-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Wow. Sounds like a real sicko.

Serpent
06-22-2003, 10:13 PM
I used to share a flat with a girl that kept two snakes. She'd keep frozen mice or young rats in the freezer all the time - we got used to it.

There was this big blue mug by the side of the snake's tank and she used to get a frozen rodent and fill the mug with water, then float the rodent in the water to thaw it before feeding it to the snakes. This became known as the mouse mug and everyone knew to never use the mouse mug for coffee or tea or whatever. After all, frozen dead rodents were regularly thawed out in it and she rarely washed it up!

Anyway, one day there was a robbery out the back of the buildings and the cops came round taking statements and stuff. As a young house of bikers we had issues with the law. When the cop came in and sat down to fill out statements my flatmate asked him if he fancied a cuppa. Of course, he accepted. You've obviously beaten me to the punch line! Yes, you can guess what mug he got his sweet brown tea in!

It was really hard not to laugh as the three of us sat there answering his questions, watching him sip appreciatively from the mouse mug!

heh heh heh

tsunami surfer
06-22-2003, 10:15 PM
He was beyond sick. They didnt even suspect him of that particular murder but then how do you explain some dudes fist in your freezer.

Laughing Cow
06-22-2003, 10:20 PM
At one stage my Mother used to work in an Animal research Hospital.

Coffee was usually made on a bunsen burner in the lab and you NEVER opened the fridges or peeped into pots/containers.

Worst was when mother brought some work home, kitchen had luvely cooking smells till we found out that she is boiling the meat off a specimen to take the bones back the next day.

Cheers.

joedoe
06-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Serpent: reminds me of the time when I got booked on my way to work at a fast food outlet while working thru uni. Later in the day the officer who booked me came in to get his lunch. My manager gave me the go-ahead to defile his food. Unfortunately I couldn't bring myself to do it. :(

TS: So did you get the guy in the end?

LC: interesting childhood ;)

tsunami surfer
06-22-2003, 10:30 PM
To LC paraphrasing in Jeff Spicoli voice:

"WHOA! GNARLEY DUDE!!"

(The only good thing Shawn Penn ever said or did.)

tsunami surfer
06-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Yeah. He was put away just about for eternity.

Laughing Cow
06-22-2003, 10:35 PM
joedoe & tsunami surfer.

Yeah, I had a fun childhood, with my granddad also being a hunter I learned early to kill and skin Animals.

My whole Family is rather adventerous and between a whole menagerie of pets(snakes, spiders, dogs, etc) and other things it was great fun and educational.

We also used to watch open heart surgery on TV during supper and the likes.

This days there is not much left that will make me squeamish.
;)

Cheers.

SevenStar
06-22-2003, 10:42 PM
same here. In high school, I har pre ap biology right before lunch - I would take out a pig's eye, remove a shark's ovary, etc. then immediately go eat lunch.

Serpent
06-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Serpent: reminds me of the time when I got booked on my way to work at a fast food outlet while working thru uni. Later in the day the officer who booked me came in to get his lunch. My manager gave me the go-ahead to defile his food. Unfortunately I couldn't bring myself to do it. :(

LOL. "Defile his food". :D

What would you have done, if you'd had the nerve?

Serpent
06-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
same here. In high school, I har pre ap biology right before lunch

What the hell language are you speaking in today, dude?

:confused: :eek:

Serpent
06-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Actually, judging by the construction of that sentence, what bloody language am I using!?

:eek:

:)

joedoe
06-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

LOL. "Defile his food". :D

What would you have done, if you'd had the nerve?

I guess I could have wiped my bum with the bread roll. :D

Realistically the worst I probably could have done was spit in his food. He wouldn't have known. ;)

[edit] Actually, I could have given him extra 'mayo' :D

Serpent
06-22-2003, 10:59 PM
It's a quiet victory. There was a show on recently with hidden cameras showing what some people did in places like that. Pretty horrible stuff!

My favourite was the guy that was bringing a tray of spaghetti to a service counter and he dropped it. So he scraped it all up into a pile with the edge of his shoe and the shovelled it back into the tray with his hands and put it out onto the display! Classic!

joedoe
06-22-2003, 11:32 PM
I once watched a manager spit in a copper's dinner.

The reason I couldn't do anything to the copper's food was that I reasoned that as crappy as it was, he was just doing his job. And I was speeding pretty badly too :D

Serpent
06-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
I once watched a manager spit in a copper's dinner.

The reason I couldn't do anything to the copper's food was that I reasoned that as crappy as it was, he was just doing his job. And I was speeding pretty badly too :D

Yeah, I hear ya. It's a crappy thing to do.

But I still laugh when I think of the bobby sipping from the mouse mug! ;)

joedoe
06-22-2003, 11:38 PM
That is indeed funny. The mouse mug! :D

Serpent
06-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Can you imagine us, sitting there not daring to look at each other for fear of cracking up, while he asked questions and sipped away!

Sip... sip... sip...

joedoe
06-22-2003, 11:46 PM
I think I have been in similar situations :D

Beth S.
06-23-2003, 02:25 AM
I worked for a while as a secretary in the Ear Nose & Throat department of a teaching hospital and we had 2 fridges--one for the med class materials and one for admin staff, for our lunches & drinks. Unfortunately, one day the meds fridge got too full, so the med students didn't think it was any big deal to use ours for the day. So my co-worker opened up the door to get her sandwich and was faced (literally, I guess) with half of a human head. She didn't get the sandwich and I never packed my lunch again, even though I never saw the half-a-head. (But if you want to hear gross things, you should get a job transcribing dictations from doctors' examinations. Guh.)

Royal Dragon
06-23-2003, 08:56 AM
HALF A HUMAN HEAD?? Some guys HAND!?!?!?!?

God holy shjisnits!!! What the hell is happeneing to this worlld?!?!!?

On a side note, Terri microwaved half the rats and fed them to several of her snakes. Now ther's only 6 left. They have been moved back to the freezer under the frozen veggies where I can't see them.

Black Jack
06-23-2003, 09:13 AM
I would be a little ****ed if she put the bag on my food. Not so much that its rats but it was not in good taste and you don't know where the bag has been and who has been handling it.

Next time just tell her to put her stuff in the freezer where most of the stuff is boxed or better yet get one of those small inexpensive units that college kids keep in their dorms and she can keep her rodents in their.

Or next time take a dump in the yard, let it harden, and then put it on something she likes to eat and watch the reaction. :D

Royal Dragon
06-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Nawww, I ain't gonna do dat to her. It really does not bother me too much. It just startled me that's all.

Black Jack
06-23-2003, 09:28 AM
I was not serious.

If she has rats and wants to keep them cold overnight their is always one of the crispers if you have nothing in them. Though that still leaves any bacteria that may be on the bag.

My buddy used to go to the reptile show. Had TONS of stuff but sold it all. It was a ***** to keep clean.

Royal Dragon
06-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Watson's?? Terri sells there from time to time. Her friend sells Bearded Dragons, and those little Chameleons in the back every show. Being in the buisness, she knows most of those guys that sell regularly. Infact, she also knows the guy with the Prarri Dogs that caused all the "Monkey Pox". If you go to Serpent Saffari in the Dells, you can see some of the animals she handled. They have a HUGE Anaconda there, one of the biggest in the nation. Terri nursed that one through it's last pregnacy (Sucker poped out like 40 babies).

Some of their Albino Burmese pythons were bred right in my daughter's bed room. Terri sold the babies to him a couple of years ago. The mom was shown in the huge Harry potter shin dig in Oak park this past weekend.

Black Jack
06-23-2003, 10:08 AM
I think it was some reptile farm in Addison. He had all sorts of monitors, boa's, frogs and snakes.

I think he got rid of the last snake a few years ago.

btw- no more of those "dogs" are to be imported into America anymore. Cute critters but I like real dogs only.:D

Royal Dragon
06-23-2003, 10:15 AM
How are they going to deal with the fact that they are native to Illinois?

From what Terri is telling me, there was some sort of cross contamination with african gambient rats (see, RATS!!!) that are sold as pets here in the US. Phil (Terri's freind from the swap) was actually quarenteened in his home for weeks due to this whole ordeal.

diego
06-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Rodents like possum and rat are full of protein, and taste better than other things, like rabbit, IMO. Next time, don't complain, just eat up.

STRAIGHT OUT THE MF'N' GHETTOE............WWORRD;)

SevenStar
06-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Don't get me started on roaches...

Serpent
06-23-2003, 11:43 PM
You think you know roaches? Come live in Sydney for a while - we got the biggest roaches in the world and plenty of 'em.

Little b@stards!

:mad:

SevenStar
06-23-2003, 11:45 PM
sydney has bigger roaches than the hood? Nah...

Serpent
06-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Trust me. It's true.

Laughing Cow
06-24-2003, 12:21 AM
Serpent.

Are yours the flying ones??

We are getting those soon again, air as well as ground attacks.

Serpent
06-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah, we're lucky. We get both kinds!

Shaolin-Do
06-24-2003, 08:21 PM
The roaches here carried off my 1st son.... :(