PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

IronFist
06-21-2003, 02:49 PM
I was at one of my Indian (country India, not Native American)friend's houses the other day and I picked up this Indian magazine (it was written in English) cuz the girl on the front was hot.

It said there was an article inside about "her beauty secrets" or something.

It was absolutely amazing what she said. I'll summarize some of the points for you:

1. Pushups are the best upper body exercise because they work "pecs, shoulders, triceps, biceps, everything*." :rolleyes:

2. Girls shouldn't lift weights because weights tend to give you big muscles which look bad on girls. :rolleyes:

3. Muscle turns into fat when you stop working out.

4. Crunches are the best exercises for abs.

5. The best calf exercise is to stand in the shower and raise up on your toes and hold it for a few seconds and then come back down. Repeat this a couple times for the best calf development. (I noted that this girls calves had no muscle at all... they looked like a Pringles can)

It's great what gets taught as "knowledge" in mainstream media. I guess it keeps those of us that actually know stuff in the vast minority.

IronFist

* Pushups can work your biceps, but they don't unless you know what you're doing, and even then it's not a great bicep exercise.. And this girl most likely doesn't know how to make pushups work your biceps.

neigung
06-21-2003, 03:03 PM
cankles are hot!

ZIM
06-21-2003, 03:24 PM
WTF is a cankle?

IF- seen this? (http://www.canoe.ca/LifewiseFooddrink0207/0715_obsession-ap.html) its kind of the flip side to your post- just as odd though.

Kempo Guy
06-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Cankle = calf that goes straight down to the foot, without going 'in' at the ankle. No shape whatsoever... See the movie "Shallow Hal" for reference. :D

IronFist
06-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Cankles are only on fat people I thought. :confused:

That being said, this girl's nice body was all because of her genetics, I think, and not the "workout" she prescribed.

IronFist

Cheese Dog
06-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Ironfist, how CAN you work biceps with pushups? Inquiring minds want to know!

rubthebuddha
06-23-2003, 11:48 PM
do pushups, but have those little electric pulse thingies hooked up to your guns.

IronFist
06-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Cheese Dog
Ironfist, how CAN you work biceps with pushups? Inquiring minds want to know!

Something about doing them with your arms really wide or something, it kind of forces you to work your biceps at one point in the movement. I forgot which part. It's not a huge range or motion or anything, it's just they come in to play for a little bit to stabilize something (or something). Pavel mentioned it once but I kind of forgot what he said about it.

I've also found you can work your back a bit with pushups. I was doing pushups with my feet or the floor and my hands on the edge of my bathtub. So obviously because of the angle they were easier than regular pushups. Anyway, I guess at one point in the movement I was pulling down and back in order to activate my lats because the few times I've performed this movement I've felt soreness in my lats the next day (this is when I'm not currently working out and it only takes a little stimulation to make my muscles sore. Normally I don't know if it would do anything).

Nice signature, Rub :)

IronFist

Cheese Dog
06-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Ironfist.

rubthebuddha
06-26-2003, 10:36 PM
i think the angle is a near 90 on the elbow, 0 on the shoulder, almost parallel to the ground. your torso should be just slightly off the ground. think a yoga plank position when lowered, just before upward facing dog.

i was doing sun salutations last night and i think i felt my bicep used as a stabilizer at that angle.

Serpent
06-26-2003, 11:05 PM
Doing divebombers/hindus/whatever you want to call them will hit your biceps a bit too, but you have to experiment with hand position. A variety of hand positions on those types of pushups will ary the load between a lot of muscle groups actually. They rule!

Kumkuat
06-26-2003, 11:38 PM
I was trying to do negatives with baby freeze. (pushup postion, but your elbow is stabbed near your hips. In the up position, everything but your hands should be off the floor. In the down position, only your hands and head should touch the floor). And my lats were extremely sore the next day. I think it was because I was contracting the lats hard to slow the power of gravity when I was coming down.