PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my first kettlebell

fa_jing
06-21-2003, 05:18 PM
I mean that I actually picked it up, not that I acquired one. I contacted a nearby RKC who I met in the park. He showed me some of the basic exercises - I'm impressed. It was a 1.5 pood bell (53 lbs. = 24 kgs.) I was able to clean it and other stuff, obviously with bad form. He had me try 10 two handed swings, I was breathing slightly heavy just from that - I can see how it could be an awesome cardio tool. He told me my form was good on those swings, I got the hang of the hip snap thing right away - it's just like standing up out of your horse stance, or like the bodyweight box squats I do. I think. I also ripped out 2 pistols on each side holding the weight, just to see if I could do it - the guy was impressed by that.
I'm definitely gawna get one of these suckers. I like the simplicity of the device - just a round ball with a thick handle. Yet so versatile.

Laughing Cow
06-21-2003, 06:25 PM
How does Kettlebell training differ from the old Chinese stone locks.

Seems to be about the same to me.

Cheers.

Kempo Guy
06-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the club. :D
I own a 1, 1.5 and a 2 pood KB. Great tools for endurance as well as strength. There's a lot of variety in exercises available there...

Enjoy the pain!
KG

fa_jing
06-23-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow
How does Kettlebell training differ from the old Chinese stone locks.

Seems to be about the same to me.

Cheers.

Don't know - probably the device is similar, but are the exercises the same?

yenhoi
06-23-2003, 03:34 PM
I got off work early today to meet the delivery man.

I now have 4 kettlebells, i havent lifted any of them yet.

:eek:

fa_jing
07-03-2003, 12:19 PM
oh yeah! my wife called to tell me that my 1.5 pood arrived. Countdown to strength and fat loss begun! :cool:

Kempo Guy
07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Have fun. :D

3step
07-03-2003, 09:36 PM
what part of the country are you in? i am an RKC. congrats on getting KB fever. lot's of cool resources at dragon door.

WanderingMonk
07-04-2003, 03:05 PM
I think kettle ball and stone lock are basically the same. In both cases, the center-of-mass for the weight is away from your hand (unlike regular dumbbell).

You should be able to do most of the kettle ball exercise with stone lock.

wm

Ka
07-04-2003, 11:19 PM
I enjoy Dumbell swings ala Scrapper and found them to really help me

Question: Does anyone feel that most KB excerises could be done with a DB effectivly??

And here's a site with lots of photos and excerises
www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kettlename.php

vingtsunstudent
07-05-2003, 02:25 AM
hi ka

i'm up in newcastle and already have some KB's. i am also in the process of having all various weights(16, 24, 32 & 40 kg) cast, if you like let me know and i can get back to you when they are ready.

as for dumbells, yes they are great for the exercises but the bells themselves add a whole extra dimension.

vts

Ka
07-05-2003, 03:27 AM
VTS
Thanks Good value
I am interested so if you could PM with costs and etc
Much Appreciated

If possible I am trying to track down this type in Australia
www.fractionalplates.com/cgibin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=10.7

vingtsunstudent
07-05-2003, 06:44 AM
ka
i'll let you know, hopefully within a few weeks.

the ones you posts the link to are not available in oz and that company no longer ships here either, besides that, from what i have read from people that own that type they are not much chop for things like clean & jerk or snatches anyways( mostly due to the contact thay make on your forearm during these exercises)
and believe me when i say that for adding quality speed and power to your strikes(not to mention the full body cardiovascular benefits you will receive) these will probably become your 2 most favoured exercises.

if your ever up newie way let me know and you can call and give the ones i already own a go.

vts

Ka
07-06-2003, 06:08 AM
VTS, Nice One
Thanks for the info,I am really keen on Scapper's DB swings and am trying to work on other excerises with DB but am keen to try the KB.

Might well take you up on that offer and gives me an excuse to plan a Newcastle Weekend.

Cheers again

fa_jing
07-07-2003, 10:19 AM
The kettlebell is more fun, works your grip better and there are more variations than the dumbell. But dumbell swings and snatches can be part of a great workout.

Kempo Guy
07-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Most exercises can be done with a dumbell. There are some exercises that are not possible without the KB but there aren't all that many exercises like this.

I think the exercises are more interesting when done with KB's due to the displaced weight and the thickness of the handle. And as fa_jing suggests there are more variations on exercises with a KB.

yenhoi
07-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Im loving the kettlebells, FYI.

They are so cool.

:cool:

fa_jing
07-14-2003, 12:06 PM
me too. Yesterday's workout with 1 1.5 pood: 25 reps two handed swing, rest, then ten right, ten left in one set, rest, then C & J 7/7 r/l, 6/6, etc. down to 1/1. Rested between arms and between sets. Run around, do a pullup ladder from 5 to 1, run some more, 3 + 3 pistols, go back to the Kettlebell, 25 more reps two handed swing, Kettlebell hack squat x 15 reps, under the legs pass drill - excellent ab drill! Tried that for the first time. Elapsed time ~ 35 minutes.