PDA

View Full Version : sparring/fighting question

Shaolin Dude
06-22-2003, 01:30 AM
when you are fighting, do u make eye contact with your opponent or look at their arms and legs to see oncoming attacks?

Kempo Guy
06-22-2003, 09:45 AM
You definintely do NOT want to focus on incoming strikes, that's a surefire way of getting ko'd.
Some people will tell you to look at someone's chest or throat area, I've even read that you can use your eyes to look slightly above their heads.

I think the most important thing is to not focus too intently on any specific area. Try a 'soft focus', i.e. using peripheral vision. One of the ways this can be done is by looking "beyond your opponent". This will allow you to take in your opponent's entire body without focusing on them. Experiment with it, I've found it to work quite well.

KG

Diamond Dragon
06-22-2003, 09:46 AM
I can't really tell where I'm looking in a fight. I just look in front of me and the reflexes do the rest.

Merryprankster
06-22-2003, 11:00 AM
I look just below their sternum. They can't move without their center moving.

rubthebuddha
06-22-2003, 10:05 PM
i agree with merry.

i usually watch their whole "vertical midline" -- the imaginary line going from the crown of their head to the middle of their crotch. if that moves, then something's-a-happenin.

****it, merry. i gotta stop agreeing with you. might get habit-forming. :o

Oso
06-23-2003, 10:42 AM
well, mp and rub already said it but I look at the 'center', belly button area for the same reasons mp said and also that looking at the general center of thier body lets you have their head and feet in your peripheral vision whereas if you look at their head or face you may not have the feet in sight.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-23-2003, 10:45 AM
i like to scan but the center's good too.

fa_jing
06-23-2003, 11:56 AM
You mean my eyes are supposed to be open????

;)