PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ease/get rid of shin splints?

Souljah
06-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Hi

I havent had them as badly before, but this morning I was skipping in my training shoes (not alot of cusion) - which I guess was the cause.....now my shins kane like hell

But do any of you have any good methods of 'easing' tightness of them.....?

thanks for any help

-greg

monkey mind
06-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Shin splints is kind of a vague term for a few different problems. Where exactly do you feel pain/tightness? Is it in the muscle that runs lateral to the tibia, in the muscle medial to the tibia, in the bone itself? If it's lateral to the tibia, I know some stretches that will work to prevent your shin splints.

Souljah
06-22-2003, 08:21 AM
its the actual bone itself, the tibia where it feels a little tight.....

Colin Kennedy
06-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Check out http://www.flipsider.com/know/pages/train/shins.htm.

Nobody gets shin splints like footbaggers. I had them awful for a while.

Oso
06-23-2003, 10:45 AM
my cc coach in high school had me fill a tub w/ ice water and then have some hot hot water ready with towels in it. soak in the cold for a while then apply the hot towels till they cool. repeat.

red5angel
06-23-2003, 10:50 AM
I used to get them running cross country a lot. Ice them 2-3 times day and if you can, ride a bike or something to strengthen them, don't run!

Souljah
06-23-2003, 10:56 AM
ok thanks i think i might try that, thanks to colin too.....

its just that theyre causing bruises now and really aching. Im gonna wear trainers for normal houshold things for now...

red5angel
06-23-2003, 11:14 AM
generally, shin splints are the seperation of the lining between the muscle and bone. This causes swelling. The other thing is that if it persist for too long, say 3 weeks or so I would have it looked at by a doctor since it could be bone fractures causing the pain.

Shuul Vis
06-23-2003, 11:54 AM
They never really go away. I got them pretty bad from running/sprinting in wrestling shoes on hard floor back in high school wrestling practice. Something to think about. I still feel the pain of them and its been 6 years now.

Souljah
06-23-2003, 12:22 PM
theyre not that bad, i mean i can still push on with them. But I just wanted some tips on reducing them. Thouh i guess if I keep training frequently then as u shuul they will persist

red5angel
06-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Actually if they persist there is something else wrong and you should probbaly be checked out. Shin splints are almost always treatable. Worst case is you sit out for a couple of weeks icing your shins a few times day until they go away.

PAMantis
06-24-2003, 10:26 AM
Colin Kennedy,

That is a great link. Those excersizes are just what the doctor ordered. Litterally. I had shin splints and my doctor said that I could go to a trainer or just do those myself. Of course, I didn't do them at all and now I am still getting shin splints 4 years later, but I'm starting to do the excersizes now so they go away forever.

Colin Kennedy
06-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Like I said, nobody gets shin splints like footbaggers. I was **** near crippled when I started into the sport.

PAMantis
06-25-2003, 06:35 AM
BTW what the he1l are footbaggers?

Colin Kennedy
06-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Follow the link...

Video (http://www.penny-lane.com/hackrules/tripwalk.wmv)

rubthebuddha
06-25-2003, 11:09 PM
just like the hackey-sack done here in the states, just without the ****ing dreadlocks or the stench of pachouli.