PDA

View Full Version : Toney v. Holyfield

Spark
06-24-2003, 07:19 AM
Boxingtalk is reporting this is a go for October 4!

Sorry Bai He, looks like we're gonna be disappointed.

This is a bizarre matchup, but interesting bc Holy is regarded as the best cruiserweight of all time and Toney has the potential to up that.

I think Holy is too old and Toney will counter his way to a UD.

BAI HE
06-25-2003, 05:42 AM
Holyfield to fight Toney October 4

Newly crowned IBF cruiserweight James Toney will face four-time heavyweight title-holder Evander Holyfield on October 4, it was announced at a New York press conference.

‘Lights Out’ Toney had been searching for a big-name foe since Bernard Hopkins backed out of their proposed super-fight, clearing the way for a heavyweight battle between two of the best-known cruiserweight champions ever.

For Holyfield, now aged 40, the non-title 12 round bout represents a last chance to prove he can still deliver the goods following a succession of world title defeats. Toney looked back to his very best while thumping the highly rated Vassili Jirov over 12 rounds to win the IBF belt two months ago and a victory

Former middleweight and super-middleweight champ Toney said: “It's a pleasure fighting a great champion like Evander. We are both warriors and we don't run from nobody."

Toney has fought at heavyweight before, and said he is aiming to come in at around 220lbs.

The bout will be televised by Showtime on a pay-per-view basis from a to be announced venue.

Merryprankster
06-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Toney will be fat and out of shape. Holyfield will be in amazing shape.

Toney will also kick his ass up and down the ring. He will not, however, knock him out. Toney will outbox the **** out of him.

If and ONLY if Toney runs out of gas by round 7 does Holyfield have a chance at winning.

Yung Apprentice
06-26-2003, 02:47 PM
How old is Toney? Anyways, I'm a huge Holyfield fan, but the man needs to retire. He can at least give some people a run for their money, but winning is another thing. I look for Toney to win by unamious desicion. Holyfield, as old as he is, is still a warrior, and is hard to KO. I think if he were to go up against other true heavyweights, he might get KO'd, but against a smaller Toney, I don't see it happening. I hope it's a good fight though.