PDA

View Full Version : Which Hsing Yi Animal is the Deadliest? Most powerful?

shadow
06-24-2003, 11:12 AM
I've only been practicing the basic movements of the 12 Animal form for a couple months now. But from what I have seen the Rooster/ Chicken may be the deadliest with its ********y power. I think the horse may be the most powerful with its whole body power. Again this is based on observation of a very short time. Anyone else have any opinions on this subject?

shadow
06-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Rooster/ Chicken ********y power????? vibrating power ?????
Shaking power????? maybe???

chen zhen
06-24-2003, 12:20 PM
if u kill using an animal technique, then that animal-technique is the deadliest.

Mojo
06-24-2003, 01:34 PM
The deadliest animal is whichever animal becomes your base. In my case it's monkey.
For you it will be a different animal based on your body and psychology.

firepalm
06-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Hsing Yi Glock...
Deadliest animal of Hsing Yi.... hahaahahhahahahah
:rolleyes:

The Willow Sword
06-24-2003, 07:35 PM
i would have to say that in my opinion that the BEAR is by far the most powerful and the Tiger is the deadliest. why?

bear has a strong root and power generating system and tiger is tenacious and relentless in its attack. but the other animals have thier merit at what they do. aside from liking bear and tiger i also like the 5 fists and the linkage forms.

throw in a little pakua stepping and movement and you have a nice and effective system.

Many Respects,,,The Willow Sword

iron thread
06-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Tiger.

Leimeng
06-24-2003, 09:29 PM
~ It depends totally on your body type and size.
~ At approx 240 lbs, I can make bear or tiger work a lot easier than say sparrowhawk or taibird.
~ At 100 Lbs, my gf really has a difficult time getting bear or tiger to work, but does well with monkey, snake etc....
~ All the animals work a lot better if you have solid 5 elements. But that should be a given.

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Muppet
06-25-2003, 06:11 AM
I've only seen some of the animals--chicken, snake, bear, monkey, tiger, and something else...maybe sparrow or was it hawk?

Chicken is probably the most versatile because it has a fair amount of mobility but you can readily throw in more powerful hits (e.g., shoulder strokes, etc.).

But you know how that rule of thumb goes...the closer to your center you strike from, the stronger it's going to be.
And straight out-of-the-box, bear is probably one of the strongest since it's pretty much knees and shoulders.
However, while it helps to have bulk for bear, someone small can make good use of it IF their rooting is VERY good.

But it's one thing to shift around in san ti for a few seconds to find the sweet spot and maintain the root.
It's another to instantly and effortlessly get into the right body structure for an attack and maintain that root while in motion.

So it's kind of all or nothing if you're a small person going for a bear-style attack :)

GeneChing
06-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Each animal serves its purpose, so I'd be hesistant to say one is the "most powerful." But at this point, I get the most mileage out of chicken. It prompted me to write an article on it in our animal special Jul Aug 2003 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=351) on sale now.

shadow
06-25-2003, 09:28 AM
Good answers, I was born in the year of the rooster under the Chinese Zodiac. So this may be the reason I developed a natural affinity for the rooster/chicken in Hsing Yi. At 5'10" 170 lbs I'll never be the biggest dog in the fight. But I can apply the rooster techniques with almost no physical strenth at all. Its a great equalizer for all of us smaller guys and girls.

foolinthedeck
06-25-2003, 01:43 PM
hi, i'm not a xing yi practitioner.

from my reading - and intense interest in xing yi :) , i was under the impression that 'song' relaxation is of utmost importance in santi and in general in xingyi.

so i was wondering what difference in relaxation there is between the animals? is the bear tenser? or is my question justr based on a misunderstanding of animals? - to me bear looks tense but because its just attacking on instinct maybe it isnt?

also, a slight aside - which animal is Jet Li using mostly or all the time while doing Xingyi in the motion picture THE ONE?

Felipe Bido
06-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Leimeng is right....very right

The Xingyi Jet Li used in The One was Movie Fu. It looked more like Bak Mei. And, as far as I remember, he only used combinations of the Five Fists. I don't recall seeing any particular animal characteristics

GeneChing
06-26-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm starting to get into falcon now. It's really hard for me since I'm not used to moving my body that way, but it can put together some great boxing combos. And I think I've just made a tiny bit of headway with sparrow recently. I used to love the high-low combinations, and the low kneeling shot to the groin is something I figure I could hit in a pinch. But I feel that I'm just beginning to scratch the surface with this art, so my opinions are premature at this time.

I guess I'm into the xingyi birds now...

shadow
06-26-2003, 10:54 AM
No doubt there's a ton of information to be conveyed within the 12 Animals or 5 Elements, for that matter. I became interested in Hsing Yi because of my Yiquan practice. I wanted to try to dwelve more into the mindset of Wang Hsiang Chai. But now I'm hooked. This is one powerful facisnating martial art.
If I can take a shot at foolinthedeck's question, based on somewhat limited experence. Like the yin/yang symbol there must always be some yin in yang and visa versa, or in this case tension/relaxation. For example; just to walk you must tense your supporting leg to propel your other leg forward. The idea here is kind of the same. You want to strike a balance between the two. Use just enough tension to make the technique work for you. You're probally right in that some animals might require more tension than others. Maybe someone more experiensed can add to this, or take away from any false assumptions I may have.

GroungJing
07-07-2003, 05:18 PM
eh,,,,,,,,,

the one that works at that particular moment!

GeneChing
07-08-2003, 09:50 AM
...which one works for the most moments?

I still say chicken. It'll take out almost any linear attack coming into your upper or middle gate, and it's relatively easy to apply.

count
07-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Did someone say Chicken and take out? Let's eat :p

Internal Boxer
07-09-2003, 05:37 AM
I would say most of the Xingyi animals are crap compared to the power of the Ancient Hamster Form!!! the subtlety in of this skill is to stuff your opponent in your cheeks and carry him until he dies of asphyxiation.

Now I know why I no longer bother coming on here,:rolleyes:

GeneChing
07-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Our squirrel (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4619) beats your hamster style, any day. :p

shadow
07-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Seriously, if you are going to talk exotic animal styles. Consideration should be given to the Shaolin Toad Style. Though I don't train this style. I've only seen it demonstrated. Not only would the unorthadox movements of the toad be extremely hard to defend. But some of the movements of the toad I've seen would require an almost superhuman strength. I, for one; would not want to go up against someone skilled in this disipline.

Ray Pina
07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Bear (being it's power is in almost everything Hsing-i) and Eagle ... so important are they that they are included in the Five Requirements: Chicken Foot, Tiger Hands, Dragon Body, Bear and Eagle.

The Willow Sword
07-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Bear is a good rooting form. even in the 5 animal frolics its main meridian is tan tien and keeping it well grounded.

i know what Gene is saying about the pe ke fo xing. i saw this kung fu movie called "deadly duel of the mantis", the villian in that one did a chicken style and in the movie it took two mantis masters to defeat him.

i believe that hsing i can apply to any animal style really. i mean since the stepping and movement are simple ,you can take just about any animal attack pattern and put a hsing i flair to it. you can simplify and create an effective defense or attack. straight and to the point. and dont forget to put a little pakua stepping in that mix :cool:

MRTWS