PDA

View Full Version : Is Slt A.....

Phenix
06-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Is SLT A "dictionary" or a "Bible" of WC?

cha kuen
06-24-2003, 03:41 PM
SLt is one of three bibles of wc. .or you can say it's one of six.

old jong
06-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Wing Chun is not a religion. There is a difference between faith and knowledge.
But I think it would be more accurate to compare it to a geometry book.;)

TjD
06-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by old jong
Wing Chun is not a religion. There is a difference between faith and knowledge.
But I think it would be more accurate to compare it to a geometry book.;)

and/or a physics book!

rubthebuddha
06-24-2003, 04:57 PM
don't forget blueprint

S.Teebas
06-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Wing Chun is not a religion.

True, but if you have faith in it, it will work better for you (than if you are less confident)

yuanfen
06-24-2003, 05:41 PM
condensed formulae- a little idea of a vast system...and ultimately a door to nature...and how the human structure works.
Its more than a dictionary- its atleast a grammar which includes
a logic. The introductory form evolves into the most advanced form
as understanding of it increases.

yuanfen
06-24-2003, 05:48 PM
It is not a religion any more than western geometry is a religion.
Though folks can infer religion from anything just as the Platonists drew implications from geometry. One can study geometry without being a Christian... similarly anyone can study
wing chun...theists, atheists, agnostics..whatever....except trolls.

yuanfen
06-24-2003, 05:49 PM
condensed formulae- a little idea of a vast system...and ultimately a door to nature...and how the human structure works.
Its more than a dictionary- its atleast a grammar which includes
a logic. The introductory form evolves into the most advanced form
as understanding of it increases.

[Censored]
06-24-2003, 05:50 PM
What is a Bible to you? The essence of a practice, or the stale traces of one?

There was an interesting interview on NPR a week ago, about the Bible. I am neither a Christian nor a scholar so pardon me if I recall the details incorrectly. Apparently, there was a section in the original Bible, that contained separate instruction for indoor disciples. That section was edited out and disavowed by the party bosses for more than 1000 years. Someone recently found an original version buried underground.

Are you really doing SLT... or just "SLT Lite"? If someone removed the "key", how would you know? :eek:

yylee
06-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Dictionary is a lookup, Yin is Yin, Yang is Yang, a goat is a goat. not much room for interpretive meanings...

Bible, oh lord, there are many many schools of thoughts and interpretations. Just like WC :D

btw, to study "Bible Code" one would need to know Hebrew. So to decode WC do we need to study Cantonese? or FutShan? or Fujien? :cool:

John Weiland
06-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi Hendrik,

Originally posted by Phenix
Is SLT A "dictionary" or a "Bible" of WC?
I've always considered it a dictionary, but given your concerns about historical antecedents, I'm guessing that because of its theoretical ties to White Crane, you see in it a Bible of principles, defining what is the Tao of SLT. Thou shalt not stand tensely, Thou shalt keep thy head up, Thou shalt kim sut, etc. Given the similarities in certain well-preserved lineages, this seems correct IMO.

Both analogies work as analogies for me. :) Likely you and Joy are two of the only ones on the forum who know enough about history and Chan to see its fullness.

When you coming to San Jose Wing Chun to visit again? We're planning a picnic in August in Cupertino.

Regards,

old jong
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
...What our pro-sparring members think of SLT as a basic and profound part of Wing Chun?...Is it still relevant in their approach?...

PaulH
06-24-2003, 06:15 PM
It's actually a devious trap book. Once you open its page, you will be hypnotized into the WC world of Myst. There will be plenty of other fellow adventurers there.

Some are stuck on the island of the Pipe Network where they will spend the rest of their intellectual life tinkering with the human meridian valves and switches to tap into that mysterious energy.

And then there are those valiant WC knights who come in peace at first and then gradually become succumbed to the power of dark side of mixed martial arts. They all carve out kingdoms for themselves with loyal devoted sects and followers to slug it out merrily over the vast cyberspace in the end. Ah! the glorious drama and excitement of conquests!

A few old faithfuls are still seeking another hidden SLT bible to get out of the fine original mess that they started. Can they make it back in time or forever marooned themselves on their own fantastic island?

Regards,

old jong
06-24-2003, 07:22 PM
What does he say about this?... (http://www.alcofielen.com/pics/forumpics/positive/thanksfortheinfo.jpg) ;)

Phil Redmond
06-24-2003, 10:44 PM
...What our pro-sparring members think of SLT as a basic and profound part of Wing Chun?...Is it still relevant in their approach?...
Of course.

Phenix
06-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
..Some are stuck on the island of the Pipe Network where they will spend the rest of their intellectual life tinkering with the human meridian valves and switches to tap into that mysterious energy.

no one will stuck if one understand the classical way of how chinese think and tcm. but, if one don't then one really stuck.

24hours of true humble learning about the background.....will likely to safe 10years or a life time of practicing in dark. healtier, stronger.... better...surely..

John Weiland
06-24-2003, 11:21 PM
What does he say about this?... (http://www.alcofielen.com/pics/forumpics/positive/thanksfortheinfo.jpg) ;)

Old Jong,

We were talkin' 'bout the Wing Chun Bible. :D

Regards,

PaulH
06-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Hendrix,

You wrote an excellent post earlier about being natural in SLT . I gather since that there are more TCM stuffs in it with respect to the 12 human meridian lines and the linking or delinking of them. How do you this safely?

Regards,

Phenix
06-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by PaulH
Hendrix,

You wrote an excellent post earlier about being natural in SLT . I gather since that there are more TCM stuffs in it with respect to the 12 human meridian lines and the linking or delinking of them. How do you this safely?

Regards,

Hi Paul,

Don't know what is excellent. Just try to be not excessive.

There are only a small handfull of ground keys to know about meridian and breathing ...yee ...for Chinese MA. Not much at all but certainly one has to put good amount of time to get the experience before can benifit from it. after that, it is a habit or a nature. After about 2 decades of searching, analysis, and synthesis, since I am not a strong boy since a kid, eventhough I try to train hard and get great training via Kyukusin for the full contact...., the understanding of these keys indeed makes a different in health, daily living, .... and in the sustaining of MA... and can ramp up quick if one needed to get more intensity...

see after 40's human are aging..health issues will reveal..... and not much time to train... but experience in those keys preserve one's skill to a certain degree... even without training since it becomes a part of living.

Not to talk about the greatest fighter. But, a balance man where one is healthy....feel comfortable and peace... Those are the benifits...

As you see, good fighters in modern WCK era oftern died of Liver or Heart or stroke...problems.......
there is a sign about the extreem of the training and some platform has been lost...., can we avoid that? that is a good question to search into the proper of nature...

Phenix
06-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by John Weiland

When you coming to San Jose Wing Chun to visit again? We're planning a picnic in August in Cupertino.

Regards,

Thanks John,

In the mean time, issues at work..... need to settle that ...

Cashier Graham
06-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Practice SLT to find out what it is.

Tom Kagan
06-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Phenix,

I don't look at it as either.

SiuNimTao is the exact same term as what a relative few southern chinese opera troupes (DING! lightbulb here) call the teaching stage where a person learns and practices their vocal scales. It is also the same term used to describe what their performers do before a performance to warm up their voices.

Siu = embryonic
NimTao = mindset; intent

Siu = little
Nim = to copy or to mimic (archaic)
Tao = beginning;

SiuNimTao = The seeds of intent; Start with some copying.

Perhaps a better analogy would be to compare it with a recipe. SiuNimTao would be analogous to the list of ingredients. A full meal still needs to be prepared (ChumKiu), enjoyed (BiuJe).

So what is SiuNimTao? Its exact ingredients depend on the meal :) Cleanup chores are in the MoyFahJong. :D

yylee,

... a goat is a goat. not much room for interpretive meanings...

Perhaps, until one ponders why, in Chinese, no linguistic distinction is made between a goat and a sheep.

Also, referring to a goat/sheep is almost always used as a metaphor to refer to one's ultimate duty to one's parents - the same intent as the 5th commandment (4th if your Catholic) along with the same punishment for failing your duty: death.

PaulH
06-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi Tom,

the SLT= seeds of intent is also mentioned by WSL. If I understand David Peterson correctly, Wong considered it as young (embryonic) ideas. This means it will grow more in time and in practice.

Regards,

yylee
06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tom Kagan

Perhaps, until one ponders why, in Chinese, no linguistic distinction is made between a goat and a sheep.

Also, referring to a goat/sheep is almost always used as a metaphor to refer to one's ultimate duty to one's parents - the same intent as the 5th commandment (4th if your Catholic) along with the same punishment for failing your duty: death.

Hi Tom

I remember there are different Chinese terms for goat and sheep, San Yeung and Meen Yeung ;)

true there can be more than a handful of meanings, connotations, and symbolisms associated with a goat, but a dictionary's job is to lay them all out for reference.

EnterTheWhip
06-26-2003, 11:35 PM

he says this: