PDA

View Full Version : "dojo" in Chinese?

vikayo
06-25-2003, 04:35 AM
I always forget... who can help me again?

What's the proper Chinese term for the Japanese word "dojo" ? :confused:

dezhen2001
06-25-2003, 04:44 AM
its not exactly the same but usually its "gwoon" in cantonese or "guan" in mandarin :)

dawood

Kristoffer
06-25-2003, 04:45 AM
'Kwoon' I guess

Kristoffer
06-25-2003, 04:45 AM
oh u beat me to it ;)

dezhen2001
06-25-2003, 04:48 AM
simple stuff is all im good for - but kinda spooky that we posted in EXACTLY the same minute :eek:

dawood

Tainan Mantis
06-25-2003, 06:51 AM
In Chinese dojo is daochang.
If someone in Taiwan uses this term there is no doubt it is in reference to a Japanese style.

Chinese MA styles do not use the word dao for anything.
Dao, in Chinese refers to a religion which people take very seriously.

Kwoon or Guan is the term usually used in Chinese.

Sho
06-25-2003, 07:22 AM
...and 'do cheung' in Cantonese.

GeneChing
06-25-2003, 09:54 AM
It's dojang in Korean. I only know that because we used to publish a Korean arts mag called Dojang (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/dojangmagazine07.html).

For what it's worth, guan (or kwoon) just means 'hall'. It can refer to a hotel, barbershop, teahouse, museum, gym, whatever. For a Kung Fu school, you should add "wu" as a prefix, meaning martial. Formerly it should be wuguan (or mo kwoon in Cantonese.) Dojo has a more spiritual connotation, since do (or Tao) is a spiritual way.

Robinf
06-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Gene,
You beat me to it about Dojang. Let the TKDers out here appear knowledgeable.

Shaolin-Do
06-25-2003, 10:35 AM
TKDers knowledgable?
:confused:
:)
meoughts a dao was also sword... Kwan dao?
Pu dao?
Dao?
could it also mean blade?
....?

Robinf
06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
I thought doa was "way"

dezhen2001
06-25-2003, 11:32 AM
same written in pinyin but different characters and tones as far as i remember :)

dawood

vikayo
06-26-2003, 09:36 AM
thanks for the fast replies! :)

GeneChing
06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Here's a little lesson in Chinese. Without the tone or character, who knows what dao means? Chinese is very contextual.

In my abridged pocket dictionary, here are a few definations of dao:
knife, sword, pray, tread, fall, island, pound, lead, steal, mourn, way, arrive, turn up side down, and rice paddy.

norther practitioner
06-26-2003, 10:26 AM
And that is why we get such lovely english dubbed movies from China.....lol

You will eat my sword can also mean you will eat my rice paddy...

Sho
06-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Robinf
I thought doa was "way" Dude, that's 'door' in Japanese. :D

David Jamieson
06-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Tao / Dao (pronounced DOW) and Dao/Do (Pronounced Dough) are only confusing to us who have not learned the language. We read a spelling of the word and go into 'hooked on phonics' mode.
There is no other context for a non speaker, what are ya gonna do. (pronounced doo)

The tonal variations in Chinese are at least easier to 'learn' than say the context variations in English.

meat, meet and mete? Come on!!! :D

The easiest language to learn is the one that is most similar to your own. The hardest language to learn is the one that is most different from your own language.

One of the interesting things about transmission of Chinese to English, is that because of language barriers, concepts have been altered and even in some cases perverted out of proportion.
I'm sure the same holds true on the other side of the coin. The perceptions of the mainstream chinese in regards to the west are likely just a little skewed. At least as much as the western view of the Chinese mainstream is skewed.

It's all changing and soon we will speak 'Global Pidgin'

cheers

GeneChing
06-27-2003, 09:32 AM
KL - You forgot to mention "d'oh!"

Actually it's a bit more complicated. Dao (sword) is first tone - a flat inflection. Dao (way) is fourth tone - a dropping inflection - buuuuut there are several other fourth tone "Dao" words. My little dictionary has six (the last six definitions I listed in my previous post.) There are four tones plus a neutral tone, but once you get past that, a word with the EXACT same pronounciation can have a completely different character and meaning. Mandarin has four tones, Cantonese has like six. To make things even more complicated, sometimes the Cantonese is the same, sometimes not - see our glossary (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/glossary.php#D) for more on this.

MasterKiller
06-27-2003, 09:44 AM
It's all changing and soon we will speak 'Global Pidgin'
Or until Shaolin-Do starts his Klingon Language Renaissance...

Sho
06-27-2003, 02:23 PM
There are actually 9 tones in Cantonese. :D

Surferdude
06-28-2003, 07:52 AM
karate in mandarin is "Koongshowdao":D :p ;)

Sho
06-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Karatedo in onyomi ("Japanese-Chinese") would be kūshudō. The base definition of kū is sky ['sora' in kunyomi (original Japanese)]. Chinese denote it as empty (kong1).

GeneChing
06-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the correction Sho. Cantonese is really tough. Ironic that it dominates most CMA in the USA. No wonder we're all so confused...;)