PDA

View Full Version : Ask A Shaolin Monk..

Phrost
06-25-2003, 10:07 AM
http://bullshido.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=4282&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=8&pollresults=0&Forum_Title=General+Discussion&Topic_Title=Ask+a+monk+returns%21&ReplyIDsNotFound=1&AllReplyIDs=1

One of our members is currently hosting a Shaolin Monk at his house. This is the second monk he's hosted and "shared" with us over at Bullshido. Anyway, assuming everything's on the up and up (no reason to doubt it at the moment), you can pick Shi YanWen's brain for a while if you'd like.

Everyone's invited, but keep it respectful.

Phrost
Site Director
www.Bullshido.com

Merryprankster
06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Holy crap! The monk says sparring is important! Imagine that! Whoda Thunk it!?:rolleyes:

Phrost
06-25-2003, 12:55 PM
What's with the rolling eyes? I know of more than a few kung fu schools that do almost no sparring at all.

Did you have a point, or were you just dying to pi$s on my thread?

Suntzu
06-25-2003, 12:59 PM
it’s a KFO thing……. U know the rest…

Phrost
06-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Umm... ok, I guess.

Just figured some of you would be interested, so I shared the link. I'll go back to taking steroids, talking sh*t about traditional martial arts, and watching the Gracies in Action videos.

shaolinboxer
06-25-2003, 01:13 PM
It's all Monky business.

Suntzu
06-25-2003, 01:15 PM
interesting?.... yes...

rubthebuddha
06-25-2003, 01:38 PM
i thought it was interesting -- thanks for posting it, phrost.

and the bit about sparring -- that just comes from merry's belief that not sparring leaves one unready for what can happen in a real fight -- contact and unpredictability, and lots of it. i agree with the guy, even though he as a grappler knows little about real fights. ;)

anyhoo, thanks again for putting it up. please do so the next time you're hosting a monk. :)

Phrost
06-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Ahh, now it makes sense. Merry's a MMA guy. For some reason I didn't pick up on that.

****, mouth tastes like shoe.

My bad, bro.

Considering that I'm training for my first amatuer MMA (or stickfighting) match in a few months, I'm pretty sure we agree on that.

Christopher M
06-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Holy crap! The monk says sparring is important! Imagine that! Whoda Thunk it!?:rolleyes:

Yeah... too bad he pimped the iron body skills stuff though. :(

Merryprankster
06-26-2003, 02:39 AM
Phrost,

One of my little pet peeves on this board is when people talk about "traditional" training, with no concept that "traditional" meant (and still means) beating the **** out of each other from time to time.

Great fighters didn't get that way by punching the air and playing tap games on their training partners, and contests don't have to be about ego. Just fun :)

I just thought it was GREAT to hear this guy get on there and talk about some martial truths that transcend style. Fantastic!

norther practitioner
06-26-2003, 10:40 AM
It was actually a good discussion, I enjoyed what he had to say. A lot of questions about Iron Head, a few less educated questions about going down to the school with a bunch of staffs and beating the monks over the head with them, but all in all a good discussion.