PDA

View Full Version : favorite fighting stances

GreyFox81
06-25-2003, 04:58 PM
most the time i am in regular stance lead foot forward similar to cat stance dependin on the situation i have fought in horse stance or went from standin into a horse stance from a punch and at times i fought from a single leg stance

yenhoi
06-25-2003, 05:01 PM
I like to punch the other guy when he just stands there infront of me.

Try it ;)

:eek:

Christopher M
06-25-2003, 05:07 PM
lol

joedoe
06-25-2003, 05:19 PM
I wait until someone gets into a stance and then smack them down :D

Serpent
06-25-2003, 05:34 PM
If you have a "favourite" stance then you have a weakness. Your stance should be automatic, dependant on the situation.

;)

SevenStar
06-25-2003, 05:38 PM
you fight from a favorite stance?

Laughing Cow
06-25-2003, 05:43 PM
I think what he means is the following:

What stance do you hold before the fight commences?

Might be wrong though.

Chang Style Novice
06-25-2003, 06:10 PM
As long as I'm standing, I figure I'm doing okay.

Serpent
06-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

:D

taijiquan_student
06-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, I usually like to have my hands up...

Xebsball
06-25-2003, 09:15 PM
san ti shi

extra points:

1) obviously when you move your weight shifts and varies, and so does the stances lenght shift, and so does the strategy change it.

2) to think that just stand and be on a stance are the same, or that just standing is better -> is lame, there is a big difference in structure and functionability, even i (low level) can demostrate this to anyone -> that stances made for fighting allow you to have a better fighting structure.
note that im talking about real fighting stances here, not dance or training stances.
if you think just stand there is ok, then why dont you just spread your legs fockin wide to the sides and bend over, beatch

3) if your stance doesnt allow you to move good -> either you or your stance sux

for the mma beatches, look at the fights, do fighters just stand there? do boxers just stand there scratching their nuts?
or
do they distribute their weight? put on a guard, and so on?

if one is thinking on a self defense thang of course you dont BEGIN on a fighting stance since you didnt have time for that, but once the fight began, you begin using the structure of your system - wich includes stance, guard, footwork, etc...

Xebsball
06-25-2003, 09:24 PM
allow to me to help the original questioning of this thread, so the silly ball licking happens less:

"What is your main structural fighting stance?"

hope i helped :)

SifuAbel
06-25-2003, 11:25 PM
I like the one where I'm leaning on the bar having a beer and the other guy is on the floor clutching some body part in dire pain.

Shaolin-Do
06-26-2003, 12:13 AM
Favorite stance?
Dunno about that, but when I fight I can slide across the floor like gumby!

:eek:

SevenStar
06-26-2003, 12:41 AM
To the xebby biotch:

sure, that's a stance, but there's no real training for it. It's all transitional, the way ANYBODY should be using their stances. The boxer's stance and maybe the muay thai kick stance are more than plenty from a fighting point of view. Every other similarity to a stance is merely done in transition as you are fighting.

P.S. I s'pose you're really not a biotch, but you can't take cheap shots at mma guys like that :p :D

Dark Knight
06-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Weaver Stance

norther practitioner
06-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Me too, as I'm not much of a ground guy....lol

Xebsball
06-26-2003, 03:14 PM
SevenbeatchStar,

youre not making any sense.

But ill help you out... what you really wanted to say to this thread was: "I fight from boxing and muay thai stances"
There you go :)

If the stances you learned in cma are not usable, they sux
The one we do in xing yi is for fighting and used 100% of hte time (like i said, all that shifts is the weight when you move), against whatever style. Doubt me? Come down and see, then ill make you a real BEATCH

African Tiger
06-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I tell ya what, I like Wu Qi. It's a perfectly neutral stance, just in case the situation can be handled without fighting.

I modify my Wu Qi by grasping my Left hand over my slightly-closed Right Fist. To the untrained eye, it looks as if I'm just being cool, but I am actually warning my potential opponent that I am Shaolin-trained. A CMA can spot that immediately.

The untrained eye = Shaolin Do!

....sorry, I just couldn't resist that one! :D

Water Dragon
06-26-2003, 07:02 PM
I like to use the Flying Crane Stance. If do right, no can defend.

taijiquan_student
06-26-2003, 11:37 PM
Water Dragon is correct.

No can defence.

Shaolin-Do
06-26-2003, 11:41 PM
I use my flying angry drunken dwarf stance. Its truly undefeatable.

SifuAbel
06-26-2003, 11:52 PM
Another stance I like is the standing over the bloody stump of a carcas I've just deposited in the dirt.

SevenStar
06-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Xebnoballs,

That would not fit the topic - the topic was what's your favorite fighting stance. That would imply that you have a stance that you prefer to use while fighting, correct? that should not be the case, since your stance should be transitional - unless of course you are using the crane stance, which if used properly, no can defense, as has already been pointed out.

Consequently, I can't say that a boxer's stance is my favorite stance to fight in. Heck, my favorite stance is actually taming the tiger, but am I gonna fight from it? no.

Anyway, I hear you mom calling you... Time to go home. Wait, she's calling me- Xebby, run and play son, I've got business to take care of!

Xebsball
06-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Xebnoballs,

That would not fit the topic - the topic was what's your favorite fighting stance. That would imply that you have a stance that you prefer to use while fighting, correct? that should not be the case, since your stance should be transitional - unless of course you are using the crane stance, which if used properly, no can defense, as has already been pointed out.

Consequently, I can't say that a boxer's stance is my favorite stance to fight in. Heck, my favorite stance is actually taming the tiger, but am I gonna fight from it? no.

What the fock did i tell you, pay attention WH0RE, santishi 100% of the times is what i do beatch, all that shifts is the weight. And its my favourite, and used all the time when fighting, understand now?

You said taming the tiger, re-read my previous post, when i said somethine like "note that im talking about fighting stances". I dunno wich is taming tiger, but they way you said it sounds like its not a fighting stace (cos either you or the stance completely SUX or its a traning stance like for qigong stuff and doesnt belong this discussion).

And btw im sending someone over to your house to fock you up for disrespecting me :mad:
ps: hiding on the basement wont save U!

chen zhen
06-27-2003, 03:50 PM
it's funny reading your sig after what you've said:D

Xebsball
06-27-2003, 04:04 PM
god dammmit chen zhen!?! are you on MY side or HIS side? :mad: :mad:

BASTAGE!!!

:D *thumbs up*

chen zhen
06-27-2003, 04:07 PM
"Bastage"...?!

I think you just invented a new word.;)

I am kind of a xingyi-man myself, but I don't know..

Xebsball
06-27-2003, 04:11 PM
you... you...

BASTAGE!!!

SevenStar
06-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by chen zhen
"Bastage"...?!

I think you just invented a new word.;)

I am kind of a xingyi-man myself, but I don't know..

Hey!! You can't take his side!

SevenStar
06-28-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Xebsball

What the fock did i tell you, pay attention WH0RE, santishi 100% of the times is what i do beatch, all that shifts is the weight. And its my favourite, and used all the time when fighting, understand now?

You said taming the tiger, re-read my previous post, when i said somethine like "note that im talking about fighting stances". I dunno wich is taming tiger, but they way you said it sounds like its not a fighting stace (cos either you or the stance completely SUX or its a traning stance like for qigong stuff and doesnt belong this discussion).

And btw im sending someone over to your house to fock you up for disrespecting me :mad:
ps: hiding on the basement wont save U!

Okay xebster, let's break it down.... you use one stance.... that's cool. Does that by default make it your favorite stance? No. It makes it your only stance. you are fighting (or trying to fight :p ) from the stance that you know and are comfortable with. Same thing with muay thai. I'm not gonna fight from a kick stance because I like it better than I like the boxer's stance - I use what's best at the time because I know them both. Whatever transitory stances I use while in action are not intentional. BUT, if the only stance I knew was a kick stance, then that is the only stance I would begin with.

Got it now?

chen zhen
06-28-2003, 05:30 AM
Hey!! You can't take his side!

I won't take sides. Because I know you can kick my ass.:p

SevenStar
06-28-2003, 05:31 AM
Good man. :D

chen zhen
06-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Yeah allright, u don't have to punk my ass:D

cho
06-28-2003, 11:05 AM
I like using Beggar's Hand (seen in Wong Fei Hung films) stance with a big smirk on my face. People think I can No Shadow Kick their ass.

Shaolin-Do
06-28-2003, 04:57 PM
I fight standing up... With my hands in the way when people try to hit me.
Sometimes my legs get in the way. (of their legs)