PDA

View Full Version : Minor Rant re: profiles

Oso
06-26-2003, 07:41 AM
So, why don't people fill out thier profiles more completely?

It's a bit irksome to see some newcomer flash up here and start talking smack and you go to check em out to see what thier background is and they don't have squat listed.

thanks, have a nice day.

:)

MasterKiller
06-26-2003, 07:47 AM
Because the less you know about someone, the less ammo you have to use against them.

TonyM.
06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Very few people read them anyway. When I posted under the name guohuen people would ask me questions the profile could have answered. Mine is now and will remain blank.

Oso
06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
well...see, that's the problem. if someone is afraid to have what they do used against them then they should just shut up and read.

Oso
06-26-2003, 07:57 AM
fwiw, I commend the couple of SD people for standing up and taking the heat. There are a lot of people that wouldn't do that. If nothing else, SD has given those people confidence and determination to stick up for what they believe in.

Oso
06-26-2003, 07:58 AM
the people that don't read them should just be pointed to them.

anyways, just a rant. pay no attention.

apoweyn
06-26-2003, 08:03 AM
I agree with you Oso.

On the flip side, though, I guess the content of their post is probably more important than their profile. But I do like to get a little perspective on where people are coming from.

Stuart B.

Oso
06-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Ap, well, sure. If the post is a contribution to the discussion and they give some basis for their disagreement then there isn't much need. Just to many smack talkers who don't want to be up front about what they do.

apoweyn
06-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Word.

PHILBERT
06-26-2003, 10:03 AM
My profile rules all. It has a link to my Hot or Not photo, says my favorite drinks, what I do for a living, what my style is, where I train, my interests (I think in order of liking) and other stuff.

It EVEN has my Yahoo and AOL names for contacting me. But not ICQ since I dont have ICQ.

Oso
06-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Philbert, you are my hero. Would you like to be the poster child for my crusade: "Honesty and Truth at KFO"

Oso
06-26-2003, 10:10 AM
btw, I gave you an 8.

MasterKiller
06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
OK, I'll give you my 2 cents on the matter, which is why I changed my username in the first place. I don't mind people here knowing details about me, or asking questions, because that's why we are here. But I was getting emails from people who lurk on this board, and Yahoo messages, regarding things I had posted.

After I dissed DeMasco one time, I got an email from a guy saying his friend told him he practiced Shaolin Kung Fu and wanted to know if I would look at some videos of this guy so he could be sure. The videos were included in the email, which I watched, and he was obviously doing Kempo. So I responded nicely that it was my opinion his friend was doing Kempo, and pointed out the reasons I thought so. Then, the guy in the videos sends me emails (actually, I think it was the same guy, just pretending to be different) and he wants to go on and on about Shaolin Kempo and blah blah blah.

In the last year, I have had 3 similar incidents, two of them involving DeMasco's students.

Another time, some 15 year-old kid from South Africa PM's me like 20 times in one day on Yahoo, asking questions about Kung Fu and training, etc., which I initially answered to the best of my knowledge. But he kept sending me PMs, and mind you, I'm at work during the daytime when I'm on here, so it was a pain in the @ss. I eventually had to block his messages.

dezhen2001
06-26-2003, 10:20 AM
didnt know it was you Guohuen... hope everything is cool there :)

Oso: most of the ppl here are just not so much wasting time, but like, its no big deal, just a forum and somewhere to relax - so to me its no biggie if someone has a profile or not.

But i think if you post a lot you get to know what kind of experiences and styles others who post a lot also do. Which is kinda cool :)

dawood

ewallace
06-26-2003, 10:24 AM
I'd rather see an empty profile than a signature that takes up the entire height of my screen.

And that's at 1152x864!

Kristoffer
06-26-2003, 10:28 AM
My profile was filled in when I became member back in the old forum.. Hav'nt touched it since.. And I rarely wants to read others

dezhen2001
06-26-2003, 10:30 AM
ewallace: youre not talking about FC again are ya? thought he calmed down a bit with that? :confused::D

dawood

Oso
06-26-2003, 10:35 AM
dez, no. ewallace is complaining about my sig:D

i'll clean it up one day when I find a single thing that's funny.

oh, I know, saw something this morning.

Oso
06-26-2003, 10:43 AM
'zat better??

had to keep the link to my avatar

and suntzu's quote is classic

and black jack's smackdown was totally sweet.

Oso
06-26-2003, 10:48 AM
MK, contact info is different.

I don't want everyone and his brother contacting me either.

background info is what I'm talking about and ESPECIALLY
if they start running their mouth.

you must have gotten all the emails and pm's cuz you're so charismatic.;)

dezhen2001
06-26-2003, 10:49 AM
that dewd in your avatar has a FLAME coming out of his hand! :eek:

dawood

PHILBERT
06-26-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Oso
Philbert, you are my hero. Would you like to be the poster child for my crusade: "Honesty and Truth at KFO"

Funny story, a coworker told me I should be the post child for Crack Mothers of America.

dezhen2001
06-26-2003, 11:02 AM
sorry, but that just made me laugh :)

dawood

Former castleva
06-26-2003, 11:16 AM
lol @ DezhenŽs. ;)
Big deal.

This forum takes it easy on you,whether you want to post anything,lies,entertaiment or facts,it does not really matter.
Was it e-budo as it used to be,youŽd have to post your "real" name,make one up.

Sho
06-26-2003, 11:40 AM
"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Therefore people with avatars don't need descriptions in their profiles. :D

Oso
06-26-2003, 12:19 PM
of course he has a flame coming out of his hand:rolleyes:

;)

ewallace
06-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Much better Oso.

Suntzu
06-26-2003, 01:43 PM
;) :D

norther practitioner
06-26-2003, 01:53 PM
It is funny how we are getting associated with our Avatars....

Who'd a thunk a white dude from Denver would use an obscure black dj/mc as an avatar... funny how few people realize it is Biz Markie.....

Nobody beats the Biz...
speaking of which, it is about time for a change, who is good at this resizing thing?

Laughing Cow
06-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Oso.

Some of us like our privacy and since we don't give out personal information off the Net why should we do it ON the Net.

Cheers.

Laughing Cow
06-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Nobody beats the Biz...
speaking of which, it is about time for a change, who is good at this resizing thing?

PM me, or downlaod a small FREE Software called IRFANVIEW.

Most good graphics packages will also allow you to resize an image or create a thumbnail.

Cheers.

Chang Style Novice
06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
1. Biz ain't obscure.

2. I made you that Biz avatar, and ain't a d@mn thing changed (wrt my photoshop abilities. Well okay, they're somewhat better now.)

Oso
06-26-2003, 02:16 PM
ok, to RESTATE:

my rant was basically directed to chumps who talk smack but don't give any info on themselves.

I still think it's a bit silly not to divulge your martial background on a martial forum.:confused:

and I even think the whole alias thing, while fun at times, is a bit silly.

Why the anonymity?

peace,

Matt

themeecer
06-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Northern Practitioner .. you mean that isn't you? Dang .. you had me fooled.

Thanks Oso for the vote of confidence. Don't know how warranted it is ... I listed my art out of ignorance of how things worked here. Not like I can get rid of it now. "Ummmmm ... guys .. I lied ....I study Northern Drunken Monkey-tiger fist of the Lohan..." ;)

norther practitioner
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Nowadays he is CSN... except for that quick Mario C or whoever thing he did.....

I'll hit u up in a bit, got to find something new...

Chang Style Novice
06-26-2003, 02:28 PM
send it to austinswinburn @ hotmail . com, when you're ready. (remove the spaces.

So much for anonymity, eh, Matt?

Budokan
06-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Kee-rist. With the state of the world today can't you think of anything else to b*tch about other than this? No, I guess not.

While we're complaining about inconsequential things, what's the f*ck wrong with shoelaces nowadays? Why won't those things stay tied like they did when we were kids...and why have we gone to velcro for our tennis shoes...other than it's an attempt to cater to the low-browed troglodytes who are UNABLE to tie their own shoes -- yet another sign of the dumbing down of America...?

And I still haven't had anyone give me a satisfactory explanation as to why high-end restaurants continue to serve asparagus spears on their entrees!

Oso
06-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey Budokan, You can't rant in my rant. Go post your own:p

I like asparagus.

rubthebuddha
06-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Budokan
And I still haven't had anyone give me a satisfactory explanation as to why high-end restaurants continue to serve asparagus spears on their entrees! dude, just go to sonic and forget that high-end ****.

stupid vegetables.

Chang Style Novice
06-26-2003, 03:30 PM
Asparagus makes your pee smell all asparagusy. Plus it's supernumcious. And I think it's a cruciferous vegetable, which is among the healthiest kind of veggies.

More asparagus, please!

SifuAbel
06-26-2003, 03:45 PM
"On the flip side, though, I guess the content of their post is probably more important than their profile."

Actually no, to get smack from a 12 year old fight fan that only knows what he regergitates from his TV is exactly why a profile would be nice.

First off, it saves me a lot of time because I don't bother with kids arguements.

Secondly, I like to know that the person I'm argueing with has at least some MA experience that it isn't just some under 2 year noobie that thinks he/she is Gods gift to MA (lots of those out there) again just regergitating what his teacher says.

Thirdly, its easier to relate to the postion of the person if their experience and style is listed. If I read another "kungfu sucks " post at least I can see that this joe shmoe is a 14 year old, 6 month shotokan student and that he doesn't know beans from carrots yet much less MA. This guy I can ignore.

apoweyn
06-27-2003, 07:04 AM
SifuAbel,

I agree with you. But it's pretty obvious when it's a 14-year-old newbie.

SifuAbel
06-27-2003, 10:12 AM
Is it now? One would think so.

apoweyn
06-27-2003, 10:22 AM
I think so, yeah. But as I said, I do like to get some perspective on where people are coming from. So I check profiles frequently. (Nevermind checking them out of simple curiosity.)

Basically, I agree with you.

KC Elbows
06-27-2003, 11:05 AM
"Why the anonymity?"

Because it's viewable by anyone who wants to view it, searchable by anyone who wants to search for it, and thus, not a good road to keeping one's privacy, and because I think just about anyone can tell quickly enough who they get a benefit out of talking to.

On the flip side, I like the fact that anonynimity totally takes away the prestige of anyone's titles, experiences, and such, and makes them lay their beliefs on the table. There's plenty of smart mouth two year practitioners who could paste two out of two grandmasters in a gymnasium in Germany in the eighties(or was it nineties), if one is to judge from video. I think it's good that there are places where titles don't add one bit to the validity of martial artist's viewpoints, and where content holds better position than rank.

Plus, profiles are something I only check after someone's caught my interest. Then I'm curious where they got their interesting viewpoints, so I check the profile to see.

But since we're hijacking this, I hate it when people have nonsensical or badly spelled sigs, or sigs that take a whole page to show up.

ZIM
06-27-2003, 01:15 PM
For myself, I only check ppl's profiles once in a great while, like when I don't "know" them, but they "sound" interesting and I want to look up more of their posts.

As for listing info, thats a real conundrum, sometimes. I like to see age, but thats about it. Location, maybe, as a general thing. The rest is up for grabs. I personally don't list: occupation, style, current years studied, hobbies, none of that. None of your business.

Style might strike you as odd info to leave out. Its not, if you consider the constant intra-familial warfare that goes on in many KF systems. Personally, I hate that so much, I'd just rather someone thought I did..nothing at all. [in fact, thats what my first sig is about]

But I also try not to post on heavy 'technique-oriented' threads, becoz 1] not my thing 2] would have to reveal source or style, or other things could be read into it, 3] not really interesting to me, to be honest. I read them, of course. ;)

So, in a sense, my profile is my way of expressing what my interests are here, not necessarily in my life.

Yeah, whatever. Asparagus is good with the right sauce, and shoelaces are good, IF they are licorice.

SevenStar
06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
My profile rules all. It has a link to my Hot or Not photo, says my favorite drinks, what I do for a living, what my style is, where I train, my interests (I think in order of liking) and other stuff.

It EVEN has my Yahoo and AOL names for contacting me. But not ICQ since I dont have ICQ.

<brag>

I was voted a 9.5 on Hot or Not

</brag>

SevenStar
06-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Budokan
While we're complaining about inconsequential things, what's the f*ck wrong with shoelaces nowadays? Why won't those things stay tied like they did when we were kids...and why have we gone to velcro for our tennis shoes...other than it's an attempt to cater to the low-browed troglodytes who are UNABLE to tie their own shoes -- yet another sign of the dumbing down of America...?

And I still haven't had anyone give me a satisfactory explanation as to why high-end restaurants continue to serve asparagus spears on their entrees!

Velcro isn't new - remember we had Zips(tm) when we were younger. So, if it makes you feel better, going back to velcro isn't really a sign of dumbing down... it's more of a laziness issue. We fat slobs don't want to make the effort to tie our shoe. And, we're smart enough to know that velcro is easier. See? It's an evolutionary thing.

Asparagus sucks. Broccoli and Cauliflower are superior.

ZIM
06-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Royce would choke out BOTH broccoli AND cauliflower.

Oso
06-27-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm having asparagus tonight.

Maybe I'll do a scratch and sniff post for ya'll later.

SevenStar
06-28-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by ZIM
Royce would choke out BOTH broccoli AND cauliflower.

unless the broccoli and cauliflower had cheese on them.

SevenStar
06-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Oso
I'm having asparagus tonight.

Maybe I'll do a scratch and sniff post for ya'll later.

a$sparagus... yuck....

Oso
06-28-2003, 05:55 AM
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx