PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Monks Vs Wu Dang Monks And Shaolin Monks Vs Lama Monks

GARRA DE TIGRE
06-26-2003, 07:47 AM
HELLO

i want to know if any can help me with info about the connection between shaolin temple and the others chinese centers of kung fu like wu dang shan , o mei shan and tibet . many legends claims that this centers belong to the shaolin order . in part this can be true because shaolin boxing was a great influence for many kung fu systems , even the foreings like lama pai .
the history also speaks about the rivality between this differents schools . i understand the lama pai vs shaolin very well . but i want to going deep with the wu dang part and know another points of view .

coul be a interesting topic if the bookworms of kung fu appears .

GeneChing
06-26-2003, 10:02 AM
In 2001, China held the Qimenpai Wulin Dahui, a gathering of the seven major martial families. It was held in Nanjing, organized by Shaolin and Wudang. Representatives came from Shaolin, Wudang, Emei, Hua, Kunlun, Kongdong and Tibet (Lama.)

Shaolin is definately the largest and most successful in that regard. It is often seen as the oldest and therefore the grandaddy. But while there may have been influence, the systems also have their independant side - each one is a bit of complicated story. Tibet, for example, has little or no Shaolin influence. Some say the Emei fuses Shaolin and Wudang. It's really case to case.

Is there rivalry? Well not like in the old days perhaps. Actually now things are pretty cooperative, possibly more cooperative than ever in history. I wish I could have been at the gathering, but I only heard about it a year after it happened.

GARRA DE TIGRE
06-26-2003, 10:47 AM
thank you for you post gene , is good to know how well are going the things in china today with the kung fu and how they care about keep the tradition alive .

GeneChing
06-27-2003, 09:13 AM
...and I currently study Emei style, but have yet to make a pilgrimage to that mountain. Two out of seven, it's a start...

South Paw
06-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Gene,

Can you give some examples of Hua, Kunlun, Kongdong and Tibettan styles?
Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

GeneChing
06-30-2003, 09:44 AM
I've seen some stuff that's alledgely from Hua, but it's hard to tease out the mountain from the form. There are Hua forms that aren't from Hua mountain.

As for Kunlun, I used to play a Kunlun sword. It was an odd form that travelled with some Hung Gar lineages, although it was notably different in tone from both Hung Gar and other sowrd forms.

As for Tibetan, there's a lot of Lama stuff floating around. Search this forum and I'm sure you'll find something.

South Paw
06-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi Gene,

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,