PDA

View Full Version : Female Sifu = ?

foolinthedeck
06-26-2003, 05:10 PM
just a thought.
SIFU means father as well as teacher... so if your teacher happens to be a female individual then what should she be called?

not trying to be too PC, just interested.

S.Teebas
06-26-2003, 05:16 PM
sifu means teacher to some

Train
06-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Sifu actually means intructor. It doesn't matter if you are male or female.

old jong
06-26-2003, 07:10 PM
She-fu?...;)

rubthebuddha
06-26-2003, 10:39 PM
i know the formal term for wife of sifu is simo, but i've never heard of it used as a title for an instructor.

joedoe
06-26-2003, 11:05 PM
Simui (Shimu in Mandarin)? I think in general usage a female can also be called a sifu.

dragon lady
06-26-2003, 11:14 PM
It is my understanding that Si = teacher, Fu = father.
However, much as "martial arts aunts", if you will, are referred to as either Sisuk or Sibok (terms for younger/older uncle), a female instructor would be called Sifu. It has been explained to me that if my husband and I both taught and had seperate students, I would be Sifu to my students and a Simo to his. It that sense Sifu is an earned title and Simo is a term relative to Sifu.

headstock
06-27-2003, 01:43 AM
I did read somewhere once that simo is used in the same context as sifu for a female instructor. There's a female wing chun teacher in pontypridd foolinthedeck, i don't know what she's like. On a side note i was told by my sifu that 'sifu' can mean guide because the chinese believe that you yourself is the teacher and the sifu is your guide, anyone else think this?

captain
06-27-2003, 02:54 AM
blouse.

Alpha Dog
06-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by old jong
She-fu?...;)

No I believe that is a transgendered Kung Fu instructor.

ntc
06-27-2003, 10:05 AM
There really is no known term to distinguish between a male teacher or a female teacher as far as Chinese kung fu is concerned.... both are called "Sifu" by their students. In fact, "Sifu" is a generic term used to call a lot of people who are recognized masters of a specific trade, not just in kung fu. For example, you would be address as "Sifu" under any of the following sample conditions: chef, carpenter, driving instructor, calligrapher, handyman..... basically "Sifu" is used to denote a person who has reached mastery of a certain skill and is recognized as such.

[Censored]
06-27-2003, 10:09 AM
On a side note i was told by my sifu that 'sifu' can mean guide because the chinese believe that you yourself is the teacher and the sifu is your guide, anyone else think this?

Some non-Chinese think so too. FYI, a literal translation of sensei is "lived before". It is implied that this person should have the experience and wisdom to guide you.

kj
06-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck
SIFU means father as well as teacher... so if your teacher happens to be a female individual then what should she be called?

I'd recommend calling her by her name. Otherwise, "sifu" if for some reason you must.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

foolinthedeck
06-27-2003, 01:54 PM
thanks sifu,
doh! i mean kathy jo!!!!
:)

PQS
06-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Sifu KJ
I enjoy your comments on this forum, I learn a lot,
Regards
Peter
PS
I have completed the article of the older person doing Wing Chun: but I took it on a general basis, not my personal route.
it is on www.nwto.demon.co.uk. then look at articles regarding the older Martial Artist

kj
06-28-2003, 09:51 AM
foolinthedeck and PQS, thank you for your kind comments and also your humor. However, it is inappropriate to refer to me sifu even in jest.

My teacher has been practicing and teaching Wing Chun for over 40 years, and has earned his skill. He asks that people do not call him sifu, let alone more grandiose titles. He is still learning and claims "humble student of Wing Chun" as his only title. I cannot fathom surpassing that in my lifetime.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Phenix
06-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Confusian says' " Repeat studying the old knowledge, then, one will acquire new insight, then one can be a si (as sifu)"

So, any person female or male practicing the above. By the definition of Confusian, She/he can be a Sifu.

As for female sifu =?, I think it is a type of limited thinking. IMHO, in the realm of energy there is no classification for Male or female.

I believe it is a time to de program those male/female program and get in to Energy Realm program.

-------------------

When the old program end, the power of Giga Hz processing power begin.

foolinthedeck
06-28-2003, 01:50 PM
phenix,
is that confucian as in the chinese guy
or confusion as in what i am?

also, of course we shouldnt make a distinction between male and female, i'm all for treating everyone as individuals, but this was a question of semantics - if a term exists which means 'father' then should it only be used of males?

i suppose a good analogy to this is what female priests and bishops are called - 'father', 'mother' or what?

PQS
06-29-2003, 07:00 AM
sorry the link should be
www.nwto.demon.co.uk
regards
Peter

Phenix
06-29-2003, 07:11 AM
phenix,
is that confucian as in the chinese guy
or confusion as in what i am?

Confusian is the sage of China.

Alpha Dog
06-29-2003, 07:51 AM
Really? I thought Convenience was the sage of China!

Sage is nice in stuffing.

yuanfen
06-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Funny.

Convenience? Maybe Confusion for some after 1949.

Sage has many uses in the Native American worlds besides
as stuffing.

kj
06-29-2003, 12:02 PM
PQS, thanks for the link. I enjoyed your short essay. I can relate. :)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

foolinthedeck
06-29-2003, 01:36 PM
KJ how did you make the link work? i couldnt get anything!!! could someone please email me the document?

kj
06-29-2003, 01:42 PM
KJ how did you make the link work? i couldnt get anything!!! could someone please email me the document?

I navigated from the main page to here (http://www.nwto.demon.co.uk/older.html).

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

reneritchie
06-30-2003, 08:06 AM
There are two distinct renderings for "sifu", the first is a religious/martial term meaning teacher/father and is appropriate for male teachers. The second is a more widely used term meaning teacher and can be employed for a male or female teacher, or respectfully for an individual of particular skill (cook, mechanic, taxi driver).

Simo is teacher/father's wife, so is *NOT* appropriate for a female teacher. Yang Jwing-Ming once gave the term for a teacher's husband in IKF, but I don't remember it.

In sum, call your sifu sifu.