PDA

View Full Version : the mainstream view

David Jamieson
06-27-2003, 05:28 AM
http://www.flare.com/health/article.jsp?content=20030619_170349_1120

Ok, before anyone goes off and starts ranting about this girls article. Read it twice if you are gonna do that.

I found this this morning and I truly think that this is the mainstream view for the most part of martial arts.

so if you are in a school that is hardcore and doesn't have any of that mainstream stuff in it, well, be happy :D lol

cheers

SaMantis
06-27-2003, 05:48 AM
Yeah, the writer spelled "practices" as "practises"!

Dude, that is so ignorant. ;) :D :D

Royal Dragon
06-27-2003, 05:54 AM
Sounds like a marketing plug for those two schools. I might have to do a newspaper artical like that for myself.

David Jamieson
06-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Yeah, the writer spelled "practices" as "practises"!

Well, that's how one spells it in English :D

Do you know why the Americans took the U out of flavour, humour, labour and the rest?

it's because Americans don't like U. :D

(or the french much either apparently)

I hope the politicos don't flock over here now and tell me how the stars and bars are gonna see me choke out my last breath or anything like that.

cheers

David Jamieson
06-27-2003, 06:02 AM
RD-

It doesn't hurt to get press if you are trying to grow your club.

cheers

Water Dragon
06-27-2003, 06:40 AM
Well at least we know the difference between ham and bacon Kung Lek!

David Jamieson
06-27-2003, 06:48 AM
In Canada we have many kinds of bacon and, AND.... Ham too!

we have back bacon, strip bacon, pea meal bacon, side bacon and others. We also have ham, lot's of it.

cheers

Water Dragon
06-27-2003, 07:01 AM
Come to Canada, Land of Many Bacons

How's that for marketing?

TonyM.
06-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Looking over the wifey's shoulder when you found this one eh.

MasterKiller
06-27-2003, 08:53 AM
I perform a mental postmortem of my practice (big improvement with the roundhouse kick, even knocked over the kicking bag today) and set goals for the future (what would my outfit look like with a black belt?).
She'll probably find out in about 10 months. :rolleyes:

norther practitioner
06-27-2003, 12:38 PM
So it is just here that we call that crap canadian bacon?

I shouldn't talk, I don't eat pork anyhow....

Good article for people who don't know jack about martial sports/arts...

Good article to give to woman (who it seems to be written towards), who are looking into a school for the first time. Not the way I would have written in, but good none the less.

Shaolin-Do
06-27-2003, 12:51 PM
ohh yaah.
Canada Eh?
Taek off yah hohser.

:)
Tried to spell it phoenetically.

The stars and bars will choke you out!

Strangely coincidentally, I am a ham and bacon vendor.

Shuul Vis
06-27-2003, 01:08 PM
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I perform a mental postmortem of my practice (big improvement with the roundhouse kick, even knocked over the kicking bag today) and set goals for the future (what would my outfit look like with a black belt?).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She'll probably find out in about 10 months. " -masterkiller

How very funny, how very true.

rogue
06-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Looking over the wifey's shoulder when you found this one eh. Don't forget KL is Canadian and men up there read those kind of magazines.:D

But KL is right, this is the mainstream view, and it also feeds into the mainstream fantasy summed up as "combative fitness".

With my roundhouse kick: “Hit him anywhere from the waist down—he’s sure to fall.” With my fist thrusts: “Use the palm of your hand and aim for the jaw. Once broken, he’ll go down.” Wow that's easy! :rolleyes:

"“Karate is like an art and the katas are the dance,” explains Walsh as he demonstrates a series of moves that, although combative, are also graceful." :rolleyes: Must be a Shotokan guy!
Sorry Surfer and budo, I couldn't resist. :D :D :D :D

The punches work my shoulders, back and core; the kicks, my butt, hips, thighs and legs, to say nothing of the heart-rate-climbing cardio component. The fighting mentality provides a rush to both my mind and my body. I wonder why she didn't mention getting her shins whacked or working the clinch?

Stranger
06-27-2003, 08:42 PM
The US flag is not the "star and bars".

The US flag is the "stars and stripes".

The "stars and bars" was the flag of the Confederacy during the American Civil War.

Shaolin-Do
06-28-2003, 03:45 AM
The stars and bars will choke you out.

That whole article is crap.
More charlies angels woman power whatnot.
Who cares.
They;re still gettin pimped by charlie.