PDA

View Full Version : What Do you Guys Think about Victor Kan and His Wing Chun

FIRE HAWK
06-27-2003, 08:21 AM
http://www.vingtsunvk.com/

foolinthedeck
06-27-2003, 02:17 PM
if he is the same guy that e warriorm is a part of then he sucks because he uses tension too much - see flat fook sua thread,
if not well, i'll say it anyway to be a fool and start a movement.

PQS
06-27-2003, 03:10 PM
He is an original student of IP MAN,
but attracts a good deal of controvsy on the VTAA forum , with regards the time in teaching the whole system, I spent 6 months with him the '80's and found him very precise wth his teaching.
but had to leave due to work commitments.
Why are you bringing it up here?

Regards
Peter

FIRE HAWK
06-27-2003, 07:27 PM
I just wondered what his Wing Chun was like thats all, and if anybody had seen it.

yuanfen
06-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Firehawk- I am not sure why you ask. List discussions easily dteriorate into useless gossip or uninformed opinions when discussing anyone. I try my best to stay away from discussing anyone who studied with Ip Man.

As has been mentioned- on a silly list elsewhere he and practically everyone else has been discussed much ---often in a negative way. Everyone gets their minutes of notoreity on that list where people have nothing better to do.To his credit he does not respond to those posts.

Given your posted location, you are not likely to become his student - so why do you ask.?

Several years ago he visited Ny, Ariz. and California and I did meet hism, worked out and did chi sao with him and the then top student who was accompanying him.
He used to and may still do have a picture on his site from his
Arizona visit- you may recognize my mug in there.

Btw he has/hada story on his site.. when he was around Ip Man-
onetime..Ip man "took care" of a guy fast who was beating on a woman and a crowd had gathered there..

FIRE HAWK
06-28-2003, 10:40 AM
I just wondered what is version of Yip Man Wing Chun was like and what other Yip Man students his Wing Chun is closes to ,in other words what does Victor Kans Wing Chun come closes to compared to Yip Man other students ? I dont know why people have to be so negative about Victor Kan he was a early student of Yip Man . Personaly I wouldnt mind seeing his Wing Chun .

yuanfen
06-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Firehawk- there are similarities and differences in Ip Man's students wing chun. I see some similarities between Victor Kan's
slt and WSL...but lots of people were influenced by the great WSL.
But Kan didn't stay around as long as Wong and a few others.

But my impression(could be wrong from other perceptions)- WSL was more relaxed than VK.

russellsherry
06-29-2003, 05:19 PM
dear firehawk.

re victor kan , a senor of mine treined with fhim for a little while.
and thought, it was , a little like grandmaster william cheung kung fu. then later other friend who trained with wong shun leung sifu, told me they were in the same class together. peace russellsherry