PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday

nothingness
06-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Yesterday I shaved my head for the first time in my over three decades of this current incarnation. Looking in the mirror afterwards, I felt a terrible sinking feeling, like I was going crazy. It was quite depressing, later, every time I looked in the mirror I would start to laugh. They say that hair/appearance is intimately related to our sense of identity, that being the reason that in prison, the military, camps, etc... they shave your head. It will be interesting to see how others react. I'm told I have a well shaped head:cool: :cool: :cool:

On a related note, next weekend I am going to a primitive skills festival. I will be learning drum dancing, hunting for sustenance/setting primitive traps, communicating with plants, extending physical awareness (in the woods), and possibly constructing an atatl with darts or a blowgun, flintknapping, didgeridoo playing, constructing and using a medicine wheel, and wild medicinal plant recognition. One of the festival leaders has studied with Tom Brown Jr. quite a bit, anyone else here study with Tom Brown Jr before?

MasterKiller
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
I always get that same reaction when I shave. I've had facial hair, in one way or another, since I was 19. The last time I shaved it all off my chin looked foreign to me, so I quickly grew a goatee, and haven't gone back since.

Chinwoo-er
06-27-2003, 11:06 AM
The rest I can understand.
But would you please be so kind to elaborate on the "communicating with plants" part ? No disrespect here. I am just a little confused :confused: :confused:

Surferdude
06-27-2003, 11:56 AM
So how bout them talkin plants?:confused: :eek: :D

chen zhen
06-27-2003, 11:59 AM
One word: Hemp

:o

rubthebuddha
06-27-2003, 12:08 PM
nah. just watching little shop of horrors too much.

feeeeeeeed me, seymour. :p

chen zhen
06-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Woah!:eek: I've actually seen that movie!

B-film, but hella scary in a weird way:confused:

ZIM
06-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Nah, i know what nothingness is referring to , here, but only because i've read a few tom brown jr books.

He teaches from the point of view of a Native American, and it is PRIMITIVE skills, like 'drop off your clothes and look for everything you need' kind of stuff. I guess he helps you to identify plants and their qualities by 'asking' them. Don't know how that works, but I know he's been doing this 20+ years and none of his stuents have died

:eek: :confused:

My head is shaving itself, i guess. :o

dezhen2001
06-27-2003, 12:56 PM
i dont have a choice as im going bald at 23 :(

dawood

chen zhen
06-27-2003, 03:47 PM
how would you know? read it in a fortune-cookie or something?:D

nothingness
06-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Dezhen-

do not trouble yourself my brother. Firstly, thou already hast a woman, and thou shalt cleave to her, and it shall be good.

Secondly, I, although older, have experienced several cases of follicular AWOL myself. Having thoroughly, comprehensively, and dare I say triumphantly investigated the problem, I have come up with a solution. But firstly, I must say to thee, BEWARE, this area is a veritable minefield of quackery, thugs, pimps, snake oil salesmen, prostitutes, drug dealers, junkies, and pedestrians. That being said, however, heretofore, and thusly, I, myself, in my eminence. in my exalted selfhood, have come upon (with the lord's favor, I pray) a solution. Must I repeat myself? A solution, I say. Through the intervention of providence I, in my worthiness, have finally come upon something that is , not to put too fine a point on it, effective in our, shall we say, infertile seventh chakra. The solution can be found at www.bioscor.com Having heard from several acquaintances that this place is, while expensive, very effective, and having duly been informed that it was frequented by the late Leslie Cheung (RIP- and surely you draw no connection there, my friend?), I , in my considerable presence, deigned (sp?) to visit a visitation upon this establishment. After bestowing the honor of my gaze upon their before and after pictures, I was, shall we say, moved in my belief. Quesitons?

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 04:39 AM
ummm... i was gonna type in "high style" as well but cant be bothered :)

- yup i got me a gal so

1) she likes my shaved head

so

2) not changing it but thanks :D

actually im pretty much used to it now anyway so no problems here, just have to wear a hat when it gets down towards 0C lol

dawood

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 04:42 AM
also its pretty easy to doctor before/after pics, i could do it in around 5 mins in photoshop :)

so be careful but if it works for ya then more power to you!

dawood

RedSkaNite
06-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Er...why do you want to run around nekkid with a bunch of men and talk to plants?

Just go fishing or something man. Seriously.

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 05:50 AM
lol, very true :D

dawood

nothingness
06-28-2003, 09:50 AM
"why do you want to run around nekkid with a bunch of men and talk to plants? Just go fishing, man. Seriously."

1) Who said anything about a bunch of men? There's gonna be loads of girls there, that's part of the attraction.

2) Communicating with plants is just one of the workshops offered there that I may or may not take. Some of the one's I'm defintely planning on taking include hunting for sustenance (setting primitive traps for game), extending physical awareness in the woods, drum dancing (going into an altered state with drums), and possibly flint knapping for making arrowheads of even atatl (spear) and dart construction.

3) don't be so quick to make judgements. However, I would also really enjoy going fishing. Unfortunately, I was raised a city boy and don't know the first thing about it, or even if any of the fish here in Vancouver BC are edible (which I'm guessing is half the fun-the eating). I should and will look into it , though, for another time.

Dezhen- having investigated this field quite a bit, based on what I heard about this place and the impression I got there, I'm gonna give it a try. I'm aware that pictures can be faked but my instinct is that these guys are on the up and up. If you or anyone is interested I can report my results in a few months. The most I have to lose is some $ which I can always make more of.

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 10:37 AM
have fun at the camp and good luck with the hair company too :)

dawood

RedSkaNite
06-28-2003, 10:45 AM
But still....you didn't answer my question. Why do you want to run around nekkid with a bunch of men and talk to plants? All that other stuff aside, you will still be nekkid, you will still be in the company of other nekkid men, and you will still be gossiping with the oaks.

Why?

chen zhen
06-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Anything that would involve multiple naked men in company, would make me consider "what's the deal"?!

nothingness
06-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Red Ska Nite-

Look elsewhere in your search for conflict, negativity, anger....

I'm not buying any.

Thanks, Dezhen- funny to have you and a polar opposite personality on this thread- ying and yang, huh?

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 03:35 PM
ive done a similar kinda camp before, but not the "nekkid" part. i done some survival training so had ot make traps etc as well as fishing and all that jazz. really good fun and gives u time to think about a lot of things :)

dawood

RedSkaNite
06-28-2003, 04:36 PM
No I am not angry. I just think it is very, very odd. Don't worry about answering the question if you don't want.

Shaolin-Do
06-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Ive read books on it, and made the traps myself... Done a little just "backpacking" so to speak... Its fun.
Good stuff to know too, never know when your lacross team's plane is going to go down in the alps.
:)
Or whatever team where ever it was.

ZIM
06-28-2003, 05:51 PM
cmon now...nothingness didn't say a thing about running around with a bunch of nekkid guys... I was the one that said "the training is drop off your clothes and find what you need" kind of stuff.

All i meant by that is tom brown jr teaches you how to do that IF thats what you gotta do. no big deal. the camp hes going to probly wont be doin that.

and anyway, what, you never took a sauna and smoked up? get real. lots of africans, old jewish guys, and finns do it all day. ;)

SD- no thats cannibalism. long pork, dude. was a soccer team, crashed in what? uruguay?

RedSkaNite
06-28-2003, 06:16 PM
I took the "drop your clothes" remark to mean he is gonna be nekkid. He also said one of the reasons he is going is because the woman will be doing it as well. I.E., there will also be a bunch of nekkid men. Talking to plants. Whole lotta nekkid natureboyness goin on. Maybe I am too narrowminded, but that is odd. Would you drop trou and tiptoe through the tulips?

ZIM
06-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Would you drop trou and tiptoe through the tulips? Every time i get the paper, man. But i got roses. ;)

qiqong for tha sack, yo. :p

Anyhow like i was saying- tom brown jr does a lot of: tracking [he finds lost kids and stuff], herbalism, shelter & fire building, animal communication & hunting skillz [these translate to MAs easily], emergency medicine, native american spirituality [drumming and talking to plants].

The talking to plants thing is kind of common really, if the peyote-heads ive talked to are being honest [which i do not doubt]. almost universally, they meet 'the green man' and have a good talk.....

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 05:26 AM
the green man lol :D i never tried the stuff

dawood

TonyM.
06-29-2003, 09:42 AM
That's good because it involves vomiting.

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 10:16 AM
well then thank goodness :)

dawood

nothingness
07-03-2003, 12:05 AM
OK-

I leave tomorrow. I'm really excited. If anyone is interested, you can read about some of the workshops at www.firemaker.org

peace

myself and me

joedoe
07-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Have fun

Serpent
07-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Tell us all about it when you get back.

Yung Apprentice
07-03-2003, 03:58 AM
I love that word "nekkid"!!! I can say that all day long, nekkid, nekkid, nekkid, nekkid, nekkid, nekkid, neeekid,nekkkkid, neekkiidd, nnnnekid....my head hurts:p .

must be from the peyote! :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-03-2003, 06:53 AM
i would normally tolerate naked men for the sake of naked womem, but then i thought about the types of women that may go to this type of thing. there may not be any there with mounds of cellulite, but woment with body hair make me ... what do you call it ... sick. plus i cant stand a god da mned hippy.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-03-2003, 06:54 AM
That's good because it involves vomiting.

vomiting isn't that bad. it's kinda fun in a painful sort of way.

dezhen2001
07-03-2003, 08:16 AM
i dont like vomiting

dawood