PDA

View Full Version : Weakness

SilentMantis
06-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Knowing yourself and strengthening your weaker abilities is the goal of all martial artists. I mean who doesn't want to be flawless?:rolleyes: But other than personal weak spots, what are there, if any, weaknesses that praying mantis fighters have or might have? And if there are, how have they been remedied? Only through understanding our flaws can we further strenghten our style, so lets have some constructive criticism.
In constrast, what are the special aspects of praying mantis that separate us from the pack (besides everything:D )? What special things about our style just trip up other fighters?

Opinions?

Skarbromantis
07-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Great question, but I wonder why no one will come forward, and state, their weakness....why?

You all dont have any...right :confused: ...got a site full of GrandMasters....

I know mine, is my stance's I've been trying to work on them alot, also, maybe...

and I said maybe....

the power in he left arm for myself, 18 elders has really helped me with my left, as at one time it was almost dead, but I don’t know if that’s real weak spot for me anymore...maybe

I used to feel my foot work was weak, but through hard practice of the weapons forms, I can say my foot work is alot better....

AS for weakness in the style......NONE :D mantis is perfect ...at least for me.....what weakness do others see in the system, and what do you do to work it out...maybe ground fighting is an issue ...

I hope that’s what you wanted, in term's of your question... if not, then, thanks for reading this ramble....

Skard1

Mr.Binx
07-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Right now my weaknesses far outnumber my strengths... by like, 150,000,000,000 to 1. You probably don't want a list. :p That being said, if my strengths in tanglang outnumbered my weakness I would be hardpressed to share them. I'd probably tell you to try to find them yourself the hard way. ;)

mantisben
07-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by SilentMantis
Knowing yourself and strengthening your weaker abilities is the goal of all martial artists. I mean who doesn't want to be flawless?:rolleyes: But other than personal weak spots, what are there, if any, weaknesses that praying mantis fighters have or might have? And if there are, how have they been remedied? Only through understanding our flaws can we further strenghten our style, so lets have some constructive criticism.
In constrast, what are the special aspects of praying mantis that separate us from the pack (besides everything:D )? What special things about our style just trip up other fighters?

Opinions?

Of course, I can't speak to weaknesses of the PM style itself, but I can speak authoritatively of my own weakness. One of my weaknesses is fighting experience. I used to fight alot when I was younger (late teens to mid 20's). Mostly streetfights. I used to be comfortable in a combat situation. Since I haven't had to serve a knuckle-sandwich in years, I'm not as comfortable fighting. Maybe I'm just growing more "chicken". Besides, there are very few things that would make me want to start throwing hands. Usually, I can talk my way out of a brawl.

Wrestling and submission techniques (and their counters) would be another area of combat where I fall short. I'm a striker, and there are plenty of PM techniques for a striker like me. Finally, I could ALWAYS use more power in my strikes.

These are, by far, not my only weaknesses, but just an itsy bitsy sample. For the full list of my weaknesses, I don't think there is enough storage on the KFO systems to save them all...:)

B.Tunks
07-02-2003, 05:41 AM
Does mantis boxing have any weaknesses? of course.
Do I (though that wasn't asked)? of course.
Every system and every human does.

Shaolinlueb
07-02-2003, 07:22 AM
i dont like the way mantis has that 3 finger grab. leaving your pointer finger sticking out like that your are open to locks from other styles. even though mantis you dont really lock the grab for control so it would be hard to get it.

there isn't one perfect style I think. it all depends on the skill level of the person who is fighting.

mantisben
07-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
i dont like the way mantis has that 3 finger grab. leaving your pointer finger sticking out like that your are open to locks from other styles. even though mantis you dont really lock the grab for control so it would be hard to get it.

there isn't one perfect style I think. it all depends on the skill level of the person who is fighting.
When executing the 3-finger hook, I was taught NOT to extend the pointer-finger. Just don't apply any force in the pointer-finger when executing the 3-finger hook. Meaning, when you execute the 3-finger hook, only exert force in the last 3 fingers. Sticking out the pointer-finger is a no-no for the reasons you stated.

Try making a fist with the last 3 fingers of your hand. Now point that pointer-finger like you're pointing at something. You'll notice that you have to exert finger muscles in the opposite direction of the 3-finger hook just to get the pointer-finger to extend in the other direction. When exerting gripping-force in the last 3 fingers of the Mantis Hook, the pointer-finger will naturally curl inward and almost out of harms way.

Shaolinlueb
07-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by mantisben

When executing the 3-finger hook, I was taught NOT to extend the pointer-finger. Just don't apply any force in the pointer-finger when executing the 3-finger hook. Meaning, when you execute the 3-finger hook, only exert force in the last 3 fingers. Sticking out the pointer-finger is a no-no for the reasons you stated.

Try making a fist with the last 3 fingers of your hand. Now point that pointer-finger like you're pointing at something. You'll notice that you have to exert finger muscles in the opposite direction of the 3-finger hook just to get the pointer-finger to extend in the other direction. When exerting gripping-force in the last 3 fingers of the Mantis Hook, the pointer-finger will naturally curl inward and almost out of harms way.

goes to show you how little i know about mantis. i have 1 mantis form from wah lum system called "little mantis".