PDA

View Full Version : How do you breath?

Phenix
06-28-2003, 09:54 AM
As title, How do you breath? Do you stop breathing? Do you tense certain part of your body? Do you tense certain part of your body and thinking you are exhaling? ....... How do you breath?

One of the very important key for a Female to beat a physical stronger male is to know how to breath. Believe that?

headstock
06-28-2003, 10:12 AM
When doing siu nim tao i place the tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth as i have been told this completes a qi circuit. I breathe slowly in through the nose and out through the mouth. I think breathing has a lot to do with relaxation so it's probably also important to breathe slowly and calmly. If you stop then won't this stop oxygen getting to muscles, would this tense your body up? i think its probably important to keep breathing. In lots of MA's like karate or tkd breath is expelled sharply when striking an opponent, usually in the form of a shout/kiai/kihap, does anyone know exactly why this is done? I think its important to be breathing out when struck in the abdomen/diaphram as being on an in breath will get you severely winded, i think that our bodies subconsiosly take control of this, so its imporant to concentrate and relax. anyone else agree with this?

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 11:34 AM
just naturally... in thru nose, out thru nose. tongue touches the roof of the mouth naturally. no set time to breathe, just whenever i have to. no set in or out breathe on siu lim tao, again just natural.

dawood

foolinthedeck
06-28-2003, 02:07 PM
how do u breathe?

well how does your brain, blood, heart, etc work?

just let go. try to catch the wind and its you that loses breath

Gandolf269
06-28-2003, 06:22 PM
headstock :

In lots of MA's like karate or tkd breath is expelled sharply when striking an opponent, usually in the form of a shout/kiai/kihap, does anyone know exactly why this is done?

According to Yang style Tai Chi master, William C. C. Chen, they do this do get compression of the breath, which increases power. There is a good article by Chen on "Breathing & Power" in the current issue of Inside Kung-Fu (July, 2003).

Although I don't really believe that it increases your power, Chen has some good points to support this viewpoint. I believe, like headstock, that it is important to keep breathing naturally and evenly. I was told not to practice exhailing when you punch, because in a reality you may be inhaling when you get the opportunity to attack.

David Jamieson
06-29-2003, 04:16 PM
First in, then out.

cheers

Phenix
06-29-2003, 08:47 PM
easy to say then do.
and lots of said doesn't describe the reality.:D

Frank Exchange
06-30-2003, 03:07 AM
Told this story before, but its such a good one:

Some earnest new student once asked Wong Shun Leung how he should breathe when practicing Wing Chun.

Wong Sifu replied:

"So you don't die."

:)

yuanfen
06-30-2003, 06:07 AM
WSL was funny.

In any case breathing is a subject by itself- there are many different kinds of breathing in varying chi gung sytems and pranayama.

In wc as has been said before breathe "naturally"... not to intellectualise it to much... but minimally dont do karate breathing, sanchin breathing or CC Chen breathing.
Do slt for a long time-the first part), do lots of chi sao--the breath will adjust. For health you can supplement with a good chi gung/
different standing post systems.

fidon
06-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Well, have the tongue to the roof of the mouth, then breath in through the nose, lock the breath into the dan tein, then release it along with the hit.

Frank Exchange
06-30-2003, 07:44 AM
But what happens if you want to hit again a short time after the first, or you strike several blows in quick sucession?

You would have to inhale, store, and exhale again in a very short time.

You would sound like Thomas the Tank Engine :)

yuanfen
06-30-2003, 08:06 AM
fidon sez:
Well, have the tongue to the roof of the mouth, then breath in through the nose, lock the breath into the dan tein, then release it along with the hit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Er, I dont think so.
Big difference between what you do during circulations and actually engaging in martial activity- particularly of the rapid fire wing chun kind.

kj
06-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Frank Exchange
But what happens if you want to hit again a short time after the first, or you strike several blows in quick sucession?

You would have to inhale, store, and exhale again in a very short time.

You would sound like Thomas the Tank Engine :)

Not to mention the risk of hyperventilation.

Regards,
- kj

[Censored]
06-30-2003, 10:23 AM
According to Yang style Tai Chi master, William C. C. Chen, they do this do get compression of the breath, which increases power...Although I don't really believe that it increases your power, Chen has some good points to support this viewpoint.

IME it's like squeezing a tube of toothpaste. It does increase your power. But it's not magic, and "more powerful" does not equal "better".

It doesn't matter whether you get hit by a truck or a bus, either one will kill you dead. ;)

Phenix
06-30-2003, 09:27 PM
it is similar to a water pipe mount in the tap which can source or sink to a pool.

so one turn on the tap and the water flow out. then one reverse the tap and suck in the water from the pool.

the turn to sink and turn to source has to be natura, and sometimes one can give it a slight acceleration.

however, pressing or expanding the pipe in any location of the rubber pipe cause problem. putting pressure in the pipe by stuck something.... all cause problem.. ..

Find the tap, understand the pipe, ... long time of work.....

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 05:52 AM
The water through the pipe analogy is a good one.

Phenix
07-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
The water through the pipe analogy is a good one.

since I lost my job. I guess instead of going high tech, I might switch to selling drinking water and dealling with bottle and pipe everyday.:D

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Hendrik-structures are important- cant have a leaky bottle or pipe
but shouldnt become the bottle or pipe! Water will flow and adjust and adapt but can stagnate in some awful shapings-and cesspools.