PDA

View Full Version : Three Shaolin Monks in NYC

Buby
08-28-2000, 10:16 PM
It would really be appreciated if you guys/ladies can give me the scoop on Shi Yan Ming, Shi (Yan)Guo-lin, and Shi Yan Chan... I got around to checking out Shi Yan Ming's and Shi Guo-lin's school and although I have formed my own opinion on each school, I would like to hear what everyone else thinks (In regards to their students, personal, as well as their schools reputation, and if anyone knows of their fighting skills and that of their students).

Thanks,
Buby

xiao
08-29-2000, 08:33 PM
Buby ,
There is not mutch that I can tell You about that three monks. But I can give You some information about one other teacher who will open some new schools in NYC. His name is Shi Xing Peng and You can find more information about him at www.shaolinmonksshow.nl. (http://www.shaolinmonksshow.nl.) He will give free demonstrations and lessons at the following dates and places :
September 9th
Free demonstration and class at 4:00-5:00 p.m.,
Greenpoint YMCA, 99 Meserole ave, Brooklyn, tel
(718-389-3700)
September 16th
Free demonstration and class at 1:00 p.m., at
Chinatown Alfred E. Smith Recreation Center, 80
Catherine Street, (212)-285-0300. Classes begin
Thursday Sept 21, 6:30-9:00 p.m.
September 23rd
Free demonstration and class at Hamilton Fish
Recreation Center, 3 Clarkson St (Pitt and Houston
Streets), (212)-387-7687 Classes begin September 29, 5:00-8:30

Greetings ,

xiao
08-29-2000, 08:35 PM
I forgot something . You can get more information at 718-389-4417.

Greetings ,

Buby
08-31-2000, 09:04 PM
Xiao,
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the new shaolin monk in town. I don't live to far from greenpoint (Besty do or die) so I think I'll go and check it out. Your info is most appreciated.

Thanks
Buby

origenx
08-31-2000, 11:00 PM
Well, I really can't make any conclusive statements about the "Shaolin monks," but I did train with the ones in Houston for a week. I'm no expert on Shaolin kung fu, but they did have a pretty broad curriculum there with tai chi, qigong, longfist, sparring, forms, etc. And they were teaching all the classes themselves. So I don't know how genuine those teachings were, but obviously they did have some measurable amount of knowledge. And one of them punched me too in demonstration and it felt pretty hard, like a banana arc of force going in. So, like I said, I can't say how good they really are, but I wouldn't just write them off as totally phony creampuffs off the bat...

Buby
09-04-2000, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

mamisano
09-09-2000, 08:39 AM
I trained with Shi Yan Ming a couple of years ago. He came to my school for 2 seminars. One was a long-staff form called Crazy Devil Staff and the other was a Lohan long-fist form. I learned a great deal from him. My Sifu has also trained with him on MANY occasions...

Later

------------------
Michael Amisano
Shaolin Kung Fu Studios
Farmingville, NY
Instructor: SIFU Greg Zilb

BaguaMantis
09-09-2000, 05:43 PM
Isnt Shaolin Studios in Farmville where the infamous Punk Rock Jen formally from the Loiterers used to train? If so I've heard a lot of good things about the school as well as Sifu shi Yan Ming from her as well.

------------------
--Jared--
The journey of 1000 miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.

mamisano
09-09-2000, 05:54 PM
OMG! Yeah, I used to teach and train with Jen. That was like 2 years ago. She trained pretty hard but ran into some physical problems (knees?) and stoped training.

Later

------------------
Michael Amisano
Shaolin Kung Fu Studios
Farmingville, NY
Instructor: SIFU Greg Zilb