PDA

View Full Version : common sense

foolinthedeck
06-28-2003, 02:12 PM
wing chun is meant to be common sense, no nonsense am i right?

so as sifu put it, if soemone tells you something and it doesnt make common sense, if its not just so obvious you cant tell why you never realised it before, then either

1. they didnt explain it right
2. it wasnt right

some of the things i read dont make sense.

yylee
06-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck
... if its not just so obvious you cant tell why you never realised it before, then either

1. they didnt explain it right
2. it wasnt right

3. you need to re-evaluate your common sense ;)

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 03:11 PM
4. youre not ready to understand what they were meaning - which happens to me a lot :D

dawood

captain
06-29-2003, 06:58 AM
bloused.

RedSkaNite
06-29-2003, 04:29 PM
I have noticed alot of the stuff that doesn't seem to make sense at first fits in perfectly a few lessons later. Like the first part of the first form where you cross you hands at chest and waist level. These movements are useless for blocks...but they are perfect for defining your centerline! Something I found out a few classes after I learned it. Wing Tsun, for me, is full of stuff like that.

whippinghand1
06-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RedSkaNite
These movements are useless for blocks...but they are perfect for defining your centerline! You are joking, right?

black and blue
06-30-2003, 05:36 AM
I have been taught that the 'cross you hands at chest and waist level' that RedSkaNite mentions is a means of finding your optimum position for Gaun Sau and Tan Sau, and, of course, there is something to be gained/understood from the flip/arm and hand movement/energy from low to high.

This isn't 'obvious' on first look, but does make 'sense' when it is explained.

My Sifu isn't too keen on the 'finding your centerline' explanation, as he says it is easy enough to find without the said movement :)

[Censored]
06-30-2003, 11:37 AM
The sensibility of any aspect depends entirely on context.

For example, standing on your back leg is not sensible when you legs are weak, and/or your balance and coordination is poor. If you try to stand on one leg in this circumstance, you will be knocked down easily. So do you give up on it, stand on both legs, and call it "modern reality based training for the street"? LOL, it's been done before. :D