PDA

View Full Version : just visited my old dojo

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 10:23 AM
and in the 3 1/2 years ive been away things have gone drastically downhill :(

no more kata bunkai and drilling useable applications, no more knockdown/full contact sparring or sparring using bunkai stuff... only tippy-tappy point stuff. No more drilling forms properly - stances are too big and cumbersome, movements are choppy. The instructor is now worse than i ever was even though he has always been a higher grade.

i think its become a youth club now not a proper dojo - even the adults suck and have no technique :(:(

dawood

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 10:35 AM
just feel bad coz my old sensei used to train us hard with lots of stance work and kinda hojo-undo training methods and makiwara... there were a few of us who were more senior who got some good stuff.

makes me mad... my old school has been mcdojoized since my sensei retired :mad:

dawood

Surferdude
06-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Thats no good, cuz today kids and younger people want to do fun stuff, they wanna jump around and kid around, which is good, but nowadays there are more McDojos because of this:( :mad: :eek: Not good... Did you yell at him? or correct anyones techniques?

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 11:12 AM
well i did end up doing a litle sparring, but nowadays im kinda mixed between the wing chun i now do and the karate/boxing/aikido i used to do. Was interesting to say the least :)

to be honest when i was a kid we used to do a lot of jumping around too... kinda like frog jumps and we learned the jumping kicks and high kicks too... i think its important to be flexible and stuff when ur young :)

i mean its shotokan so we have katas like kanku-dai, kanku-sho, enpi and unsu which have jumps etc, but they are after black belt really.

honestly, i was just a little shocked and disappointed to say anything :( All the kids who did have some talent when i left had gone too which su(ks as well

dawood

Surferdude
06-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Its shotokan? and they have bad technique?:( :mad:
Really not good:( :eek:

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 11:25 AM
yup, either really long extended stances, which make u tense, or stances with no substance... floppy hands when moving and blocking as well.

i noticed they even dont have the proper "twist" when you block anymore which makes the movement next to useless... and they dont drill the arm at the hip to be grabbing and pulling back your partner anymore...

makes me mad :mad:

dawood

Surferdude
06-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Wow, thats no good. No twists? doesnt the sensei do anything or does he just not care???:confused: Thats getting me all dissapointed:( :eek:

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 02:57 PM
well you know what i mean... they are lame and done 1/2 way thru the movement not at the end once contact is made etc. They dont even do any 3-star blocking drills or anything like that anymore.

The teacher there (used to be my senior) never did really practise much outside class time and was more interested in tournament sparring than working kata application all night etc. dont thik he is patient enough.

Its just real frustrating because my old sensei had a few of us who trained hard but have moved away etc. and now i come home to visit and see this :mad:

What frustrates me more is he can beat me at the tournament sparring coz im using thoe rules instead of what im used to doing now - but i managed to get a few little "tricks" in ;)

i think maybe rogue and a few others will know how this feels :(

dawood

Chang Style Novice
06-29-2003, 02:59 PM
"Thats no good, cuz today kids and younger people want to do fun stuff, "

Nothing's more fun than punching someone in the head, hard!

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 03:05 PM
lol - weird definition of fun but nvm :D
i would say punching someTHING like a bag or a pad etc...

dawood

FatherDog
06-29-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
lol - weird definition of fun but nvm :D
i would say punching someTHING like a bag or a pad etc...

dawood

I agree with CSN :D

Except it's even more fun to slam someone hard. Hee.

Serpent
06-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Dez, just go back there, beat the crap out of the instructor and take over the classes.

What other course of action is there?

joedoe
06-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Dez, just go back there, beat the crap out of the instructor and take over the classes.

What other course of action is there?

It is really the only honourable thing to do Dez.

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 10:43 PM
good idea - but considering i a) dont do karate anymore (and not qualified to teach what i do train now) and b) forgotten most of the kata, i dont really think i would be any better :D

but still - beating him up would be good - he did knock me out when i was 14 :mad: (but then again i did one time do a kartwheel mucking around and hit him full in the face with BOTH feet :))

dawood

Serpent
06-29-2003, 11:44 PM
LOL. Take him out again with the same move and then just tell the students that they have to go and find a real martial arts teacher now.

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 11:48 PM
well i did hit him with some palms to the face and some throat chops (lightly) when sparring... seems hes not used to wing chun :)

dawood

Surferdude
06-30-2003, 06:23 AM
you should go in and do kata applications for like 2 hours straight!!!:D See how good they are then!!!:D