PDA

View Full Version : 25 or 6 to 4

Crash
06-29-2003, 10:50 AM
This is a spinoff of the 3/24 or 3/30 thread. I'm no pro on biomechanics so this thread made my head spin. I don't really know much of anything about cardio programs, but I figure if I get an eliptical, stair climber, or gazelle elite do 30min a day and build up to a 10/20 HIIT program, I'd be pretty ok. Part of my goals in cardio is to burn some fat. I didn't train much while I was in grad school (the past 2 years) so I have about 20-30lbs. of fat I want to burn off and replace with muscle. In the 3/24 or 3/30 thread, I read about how there are theories that exercise machines are not effective for fat burning, at least nothing like actual running. I have two reasons for preferring a machine. First, so I can just hop out of bed in the morning and do my cardio right off. Second, I live in Connecticut and the winters get too cold to run. One of my weaknesses is that once my routine is blown, it's a pain to get it back on track. CT weather would do that. Last, I have an old knee injury. I doubt that running would irritate it, but I'm not sure I want to take that chance. Something low impact, like these machines would keep me from having to worry.

The downside to the machine is that the only one I could probably afford is the Gazelle elite. I've heard a lot of bad things about the regular gazelle, and have seen some mixed reviews (though more positive) about the elite, and am not sure if it's even worth the money.

So can someone drop some knowledge on me? Thanks. :)