PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Kung Fu Dummy?

DrunkenMonkey
09-11-2000, 08:37 PM
I was wondering if there is such a thing as a dummy designed especially for Shaolin Kung FU (five animal kung fu especially...). If so, can someone give me info on where I could get one, or information on it? Or simply if it exists at all?

DrunkenMonkey
09-12-2000, 04:00 AM

ffab@cyberkwoon.
09-12-2000, 04:55 AM
Well, you asked twice and got no answer so I hope I will help a bit /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
As far as I know, there is no "specific" dummy for shaolin, it is supposed that northern shaolin almost did NOT use dummies and that somehow southern shaolin did.
We do have a form of a Fujian Shaolin school that uses a "classical" dummy (fixed, 2 arms, 1 leg) so I guess the dummy shape doesn't matter much.
However you have to remember that traditional dummies were build to meet the wish and training focus of the teacher. Some in Taiwan (white crane, baji) are in heavy metal, rotating, with 2 arms 2 flexible legs, some in hongkong are in wood with flexible joints and many arms / legs ...
This is not the dummy that makes the style but the style/teacher that makesthe dummy /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
--------------------------
CyberKwoon.com Forums (http://www.cyberkwoon.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi)
Martial Arts Databases

phantom
09-12-2000, 09:58 PM
Choy Li fut has a five animal form in it, and they use about four or five different dummies. White eyebrow also uses the five animals and a dummy. Hung Gar also contains the five animals, and some Hung Gar schools use a dummy. So, you may want to contact a school that teaches one of those styles.

Friendless Tool
02-09-2004, 12:44 PM
My Sifu' Sifu knew a Northern Shaolin dummy form. But unfortunatly for my Sifu and his students and I, His sifu died before he taught it to my sifu.

Talk about a F-u-c-k-i-n-g bummer

I would kill to learn a dummy form.

Farewell