PDA

View Full Version : 100 nothing, or 50/50

flaco
06-29-2003, 05:08 PM
just wondering on your take on shifting. i first studied wt,for about 8 years,where the shifting is at leastb 80/20 weigh bearing,and shifting with the toes nailed to the floor, now this comes from leung ting, who learned from leung sheum, from what i know, he studied only a little with yip, mostly leung. leungs linege is also kenneth chung, and the theory behind their shifting makes sense, and the weight on the rear leg makes sense for kicking, and the opponent doesnt see your shoulders move while kicking, etc.
but when i started training augustine fongs style, he is 50/50, and shifts with the heels stuck to the floor, so it was hard to get used to for me. now fongs explanation was that while shifting on the heels, the body stays as one unit without losing the structure, and while shifting the wt way, you do lose the attachment of upper and lower triangles for a split second. i have practiced fongs way now, and the body does stay connected more, but i feel the wt way has some good meritb while in close, so i do both, but whats your opinions?

Grendel
06-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by flaco
but whats your opinions?
Ignorance stops growth. :p

yuanfen
06-29-2003, 07:04 PM
On 100-0 and 50-50.
Let's specify the key context- the chum kiu turn and related facing.
Those are for training. In real action all kinds of shifts will occur
and there are some differnt weightings in the advanced do and kwan work.

In both types of weighting- there are different counterbalances for having an integrated approach. The key in both approaches is being shown well and learning well.

whippinghand1
06-29-2003, 08:18 PM
All variations of weight distribution are important to adapt to various situations & forces. Kicking, in Wing Chun, is not used to bridge the gap. Weight distribution with respect to kicking, therefore, is relational to what the hands are doing and the situation of your body.

[Censored]
06-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Kicking, in Wing Chun, is not used to bridge the gap

Why?

reneritchie
06-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Use the range from 50/50 to turn force around you, to 100/0 to let force turn around you. Just relax and feel.

reneritchie
06-30-2003, 01:46 PM
wp1 is correct.

Is this the original whip, or a commemorator?

old jong
06-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah. He's correct!

whippinghand1
06-30-2003, 04:49 PM
What are you blind? Of course it's me!

whippinghand1
06-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
Kicking, in Wing Chun, is not used to bridge the gap

Why? For the same reason that you don't bridge the gap with a tan da. For the same reason that sparring is pointless to Wing Chun.

yuanfen
06-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Except against fools- kicks lose when used for closing the gap.

Grendel
06-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by whippinghand1
For the same reason that sparring is pointless to Wing Chun.
Obviously, you do Wing Chun and are not convinced that sparring is the end-all, be-all. Just so you know, sparring is the end-all be-all of....sparring. :p

Miles Teg
06-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Rene said:
Use the range from 50/50 to turn force around you, to 100/0 to let force turn around you. Just relax and feel.

Thats an interesting thing to say because that is exactly the philosophy that follows on to create the major differences in the lineages that we see today. Ive never thought of like that before but it could be true.

The 100/0 schools that Ive come into contact with like to let the energy pass them, they redirect slightly and let it follow its natural course. While moving there stance and body to one side slightly so that the energy is directed with minumum resistance. The oponent feels almost nothing as his punch misses the target before getting hit.

The 50\50 schools like to manipulate the oponent. They make the energy go around them. The oponents body may be made to jerk forward as his limb is pulled or manipulated in a certain way.

This is probably where the difference in W.C philosophy is born. As a result the 100/0 people dont need to use forward pressure as their goal is to let the oponents energy go and meet the oponents body momemtum with a punch.

Thank you Rene! I think Ive seen the light and now understand why we have such differences in W.C. philosophy and practice. Both are effective but very different.

Zhuge Liang
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi Miles,

Originally posted by Miles Teg
This is probably where the difference in W.C philosophy is born. As a result the 100/0 people dont need to use forward pressure as their goal is to let the oponents energy go and meet the oponents body momemtum with a punch.

Our group is 0/100, but we do use a fair amount of foward pressure. Well, perhaps forward pressure is not a good description. More like "occupying presence." Although we don't seek to constantly pressure the opponent, we do seek to constantly occupy our opponent's space (subtle difference). However, the opponent will still most likely perceive it as forward pressure.

In any case, the assumption that 0/100 stances mean passivity probably isn't accurate. At least in our case.

Regards,
Zhuge Liang

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Miles-
as far as letting the enrrgy pass them and/or slightly redirect-
that is not a difference--- good 50/50 folks who understand
what footwork entails can do it too with almost imperceptible movement.