PDA

View Full Version : is there a technical name for this?

THREE EYED LAU
06-29-2003, 06:20 PM
when you bend your wrist forward and strike with the back of the wrist ive seen this done in a lot of movies espesially in drunken boxing but i dont know if there is a proper name for it anyone any ideas?????????????

joedoe
06-29-2003, 06:42 PM
A p00fy girly hit? :D

Seriously, I know what you are talking about but don't know the name of the strike.

Serpent
06-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Some techs like that are used in crane fist styles.

Chang Style Novice
06-29-2003, 07:16 PM
A good way to get yer hand broke?;)

Becca
06-29-2003, 07:45 PM
It's simply called "wrist strike" or "circle down wrist strike", and it is part of crane.

CLFNole
06-29-2003, 07:52 PM
In the crane set of CLF that I know this move is called "hok deng". Other styles might have a different name to it though but this would likely work.

Peace.

Chang Style Novice
06-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Okay, seriously, why would you strike like this? As I said above, it seems like a good way to hand your wrist in a vulnerable position to your opponent, like you're striking with your carpals in a muy breakable position, and it takes a couple inches off your reach. I suppose at short range you mind want to get the extra room for a little more power, but a palm strike seems a safer and easier way to get it. What context are you using this strike in, and what are the advantages of using it in this context? I just don't see any good coming of a move like this.

Becca
06-29-2003, 08:06 PM
What context are you using this strike in, and what are the advantages of using it in this context? I just don't see any good coming of a move like this.

it's a good follow-up for an initial wrist grab evasion. You would take the evading arm and do a circle block and follow with the other hand in a crane-beak with the flat of the wrist aimed at the temple. This is just one application, there are many others.

If you hit with the "bendy part of the wrist" you very likely will break it. If you make the crane-beak, you'll nothice that a flat area just up the arm from the "bendy part" is formed. This is the true striking surface. It's actually a very comfortable strike. If you have good form it is almost effortless to get a KO with it.

Serpent
06-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Also, just to clarify, as I know it. Hok deng is the strike as described, and hok chui is the strike with the fingers closed together (kinda the other side of the strike described) and is a good presure point strike.

CSN - imagine palming someone's arm down and immediately springing back from your block to strike them. Now make the fist as described and try it out.

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 10:58 PM
trust you CLF peeps to know some weird stuff - thanks CLFNole and Becca :cool::)

also to say, in some shotokan kata, gojushiho-dai for example (or sho i cant remember :)) it was also used upwards towards the jaw/under-jaw.

dawood

Laughing Cow
06-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001

also to say, in some shotokan kata, gojushiho-dai for example (or sho i cant remember :)) it was also used upwards towards the jaw/under-jaw.

That is the same usage/application I learned in TJQ.

;)

dezhen2001
06-29-2003, 11:05 PM
cool :)

i think other styles like Goju Ryu use the fingers and "beak" more than shotokan which is what i did. I think theres even an Okinawan crane style or something but i havent seen it so dunno...

i know even in our wing chun form we have an upward movement that looks similar to 2 "beak" hands... but its not used like that (though i guess could be?)

dawood

joedoe
06-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Ngor Chor uses it in several different ways. Monkey also uses a similar hand.

Former castleva
06-30-2003, 04:31 AM
Itīs CHICKEN FIST?

Sho
06-30-2003, 07:31 AM
A drunkard nursing his hangover. :D

Jowbacca
06-30-2003, 07:34 AM
CSN
Why don't you go down to Jeff Hughes and tell him what a useless strike you think it is?
I'm sure he'd give yah an example.

Oso
06-30-2003, 07:48 AM
NPM will also use this strike, no doubt derived from crane.

becca had a good example.

my thought is this: different hand positions offer different ranges. one may be the best to use in a particular range whereas another one may not. Infighting ranges change quicker than longer ranges, imo. Being able to use a wide variety of hand positions will afford you the ability to strike multiple times at close range because you can switch hand positions quickly. Of course, targets, short power and conditioning of the weapon are all necessary to make these effective.

I wouldn't say that this particular strike is a big KO type of strike but is quick and potentiall stunning, giving time for a stronger follow-up.

**edit**

do pushup on the backs of your wrists w/ the fingers pointing inwards, frontwards and backwards.

and of course, striking bags, sand, beans, whatever.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Jowbacca -

Because I've already got my answers from the forum, thanks!

fa_jing
06-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Wing Chun uses this too, I always heard it referred to as "top-wrist" Last move of 3rd section of Sil Lum Tao is a strike under the chin after a low palm block - pretty much the shortest path to travel. Also your top wrist is extremely hard and strong.

dezhen2001
06-30-2003, 08:40 AM
thats the movement i was meaning in my post earlier :)

dawood

Shuul Vis
06-30-2003, 10:37 AM
GDA uses these as part of his Horse movements. they are used as pretty decent blocks. He has also used them as strikes to my arms when i apply a wristlock to him. It usually gets him out of them if he hits the right spot.

norther practitioner
06-30-2003, 10:46 AM
I've heard it called ox jaw or ox tail....

The point on the wrist when it is fully flexed is concidered one of the hardest parts of the body. This hand position is used in many cma... It is often a good source for "other" aplications to what is the obvious. My favorite tech with this is one that has been described earlier... I either try to block down (non-lead hand), then come over top with the back fist or wrist of the lead, or block down with lead hand and use the same to flip up and strike.

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 10:58 AM
"your entire body is a weapon"

Even when you strike to the chest, if their face is open might as well come up to their chin with that one. In conjunction with a strike to solar plexus, should be a definate knockout.

Joedoe- How are the forms in 5 ancestor fist? I have a book on it but have never seen it... What would you say it more emphasizes on?

Denzhen- Do you know where to find any good "encyclopedia" style books on shotokan? (and what they are called) :)
Edit (encyclopedia = fairly comprehensive)

Becca
06-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
thats the movement i was meaning in my post earlier :)

dawood

Ah. I see now. We call the "upper crane block", but also use it as a strike of oppertunity. Good follow up for a palm strike to the chest/gut.

Also good as a block; it sets you up for a bridge shot to the nose, or chop to the neck.

joedoe
06-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
"your entire body is a weapon"

Even when you strike to the chest, if their face is open might as well come up to their chin with that one. In conjunction with a strike to solar plexus, should be a definate knockout.

Joedoe- How are the forms in 5 ancestor fist? I have a book on it but have never seen it... What would you say it more emphasizes on?

Denzhen- Do you know where to find any good "encyclopedia" style books on shotokan? (and what they are called) :)
Edit (encyclopedia = fairly comprehensive)

Is that the book by Alexander Co? The way our lineage does the forms is slightly different to his lineage, but they are recognisable as the same art. I would say that while 5 Ancestor has a lot of kicking in it, the focus is definitely on hand techs.